Great article - Someone we all trust
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

09-18-2019, 12:32 AM

Confidence.

It’s something you must have in your quarterback and for years the Steelers have had that in Ben Roethlisberger.
But the team will be without Roethlisberger for the rest of the season after he was placed on the reserve/injured list with an elbow injury that will require surgery.

The starting job is now in the hands of Mason Rudolph, the second-year quarterback the team selected in the third round of the 2018 NFL Draft.

And when it comes to having confidence in him…the locker room has it.

“He is a great leader,” said JuJu Smith-Schuster. “Someone we all trust.

“We all believe in him, that he is going to step up and do the job. You saw a glimpse of him this past game.”
Rudolph made his NFL debut against the Seahawks on Sunday, coming into the game in the second half after Roethlisberger left the game with the elbow injury. He completed 12 of 19 passes for 112 yards and two touchdowns.
He will make his first NFL start this week against the San Francisco 49ers on the road, and his teammates will have his back.

“Players have to step up. That is just point blank,” said Jaylen Samuels. “We have to step up, make plays, help him, and help each other. Play together and execute. We saw a little glimpse of him (Sunday). He showed what he can do.

“I saw toughness. He ran the ball on a big third down, picked up the third down conversion that we needed. He was standing in the pocket, making reads. He was poised. He didn’t get rattled. Playing that position, you have to be calm. You can’t be in there nervous. You have to be calm and confident and I feel like that is what he was. He is going to grow. I feel like he is going to get better throughout the season.”

Rudolph is stepping in to the spotlight in a similar way that Roethlisberger did 15 years ago, when he played in his first NFL game in Week 2 and started his first NFL game in Week 3 of the 2004 season, stepping in for an injured Tommy Maddox.

Read more: https://www.steelers.com/news/rudolph-is...d7Nnn-t4TI

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]