Super Bowl XIII Steelers 35 vs Cowboys 31
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-04-2017, 11:38 AM

Super Bowl XIII Steelers 35 vs Cowboys 31

Titans clash in the greatest Super Bowl match-up of all time as Bradshaw, Swann & Stallworth air it out against Staubach, Dorsett & "America's Team" in a circus of big plays. Game MVP Bradshaw is brilliant from the outset (particularly on 3rd down, where he hits 8 of 9 passes for 165 yards & 2 TDs) and by halftime, Terry has broken every significant Super Bowl passing record, ultimately finishing with 318 yards and 4 TDs. It's worth noting that Bradshaw really got the hot hand after the Henderson/Hegman strip for a TD. Terry was hurt on the play and administered smelling salts on the sideline. So what does he do during the next few minutes of play? He merely throws a 75-yard TD strike to Stallworth, hooks up with Swann one big play after another and finally engineers a masterful 2 minute drill capped by a beautiful touch pass to Bleier for the go-ahead TD. Speaking of Swann & Stallworth, their final stats speak for themselves; Swann 7 rec. for 124 yds & a TD (the game-winner), and Stallworth 3 rec. for 115 yds & 2 TDs (in spite of playing only the 1st half due to leg cramps). And while the final game statistics suggest a shootout, Pittsburgh is clearly the dominant team. Dorsett gained 45 yards on Dallas first ill-fated drive yet only had 47 yards by halftime, and much of Dallas' total yardage comes in "garbage time" after Pittsburgh has opened up an 18 point 4th quarter lead. And contrary to the claims of many Dallas fans, the Jackie Smith drop occurred during the 3rd quarter, not in the waning minutes of the game. Includes postgame analysis and interviews with Bradshaw, Franco, Banaszak, Staubach, Landry and closes with Swann & Stallworth popping the cork on a huge bottle of champagne. My personal favorite game and one of the most entertaining Super Bowls of all time. 
McSteeler
Hall of Famer

04-11-2017, 11:20 PM

I graduated in 1978.
That was a gooood year.

If you can read this thank a teacher.
If it's in English thank a soldier.
Unregistered

04-12-2017, 12:49 AM

Beautiful quality game, Mr. McMillan. Great job and thanks for the site. I'm looking forward to watching all of these games. Do you have any of the playoff games against the Colts from this era?
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-12-2017, 09:15 PM

(04-12-2017, 12:49 AM)Guest Wrote: Beautiful quality game, Mr. McMillan. Great job and thanks for the site. I'm looking forward to watching all of these games. Do you have any of the playoff games against the Colts from this era?

Thanks, glad to do it. Sorry, no Colts playoff games. I do have a recording of the radio broadcast of the '76 playoff game in Baltimore. It's on cassette tape. LOL. Eventually, I'll dig it out, convert it and post it.
Unregistered

04-27-2017, 04:02 AM

Recently watched a youtube vid of the top 10 super bowls, which listed SB43 at #1 & SB42 at #2... this game at #8 lol. Now SB43 had a great ending (to both halfs), but looking at the games from start to finish this game has no equal imo. Despite the 35-17 lead at one point I never felt like the Cowboys were finished until the final gun. I think the Steelers still win in regulation had Jackie Smith caught the low throw & changed the rest of the game, but i'm glad he didn't. Two teams at the very top of their game and the star power on the field that day... Always an amazing magical game to watch.

Russell
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-03-2017, 07:36 PM

(04-27-2017, 04:02 AM)Guest Wrote: Recently watched a youtube vid of the top 10 super bowls, which listed SB43 at #1 & SB42 at #2... this game at #8 lol. Now SB43 had a great ending (to both halfs), but looking at the games from start to finish this game has no equal imo. Despite the 35-17 lead at one point I never felt like the Cowboys were finished until the final gun. I think the Steelers still win in regulation had Jackie Smith caught the low throw & changed the rest of the game, but i'm glad he didn't. Two teams at the very top of their game and the star power on the field that day... Always an amazing magical game to watch.

Russell

Agreed, Super Bowl XIII was THE game. Still the best matchup ever IMO. The stars played like stars. Big plays, drama, lots of memorable moments... just a fantastic game.

That halftime show, though...   Laugh
Luther
Special Teamer

06-05-2017, 12:05 AM

On the kickoff after F Harris 22 yd TD. They said that Dirt Winston recovered the R White fumble! But I think it was Tony Dungy recovered it. Did anyone else notice that?????
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-05-2017, 05:56 AM

Winston was standing on the field when the pile started then he ended up with the football.

A bizarre play indeed.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-05-2017, 09:42 PM

(06-05-2017, 12:05 AM)Luther Wrote: On the kickoff after F Harris 22 yd TD. They said that Dirt Winston recovered the R White fumble! But I think it was Tony Dungy recovered it. Did anyone else notice that?????

You're right, Dungy did recover it. Winston just somehow emerged from the pile with the ball. Clearly, Dirt earned his nickname. Laugh
Unregistered

06-08-2017, 04:00 PM

An epic game like this deserves an epic post. This may be long, but I think it covers everything:

This was the first truly legendary and epic Super Bowl.

The first DAL-PIT SB was the first really fun Super Bowl with a lot of big moments: Lynn Swann's catches, Percy Howard, Lambert standing up to Cliff Harris and defending Gerela, which led to the classic "Jack Lambert is a defender of what is right" quote from Noll.

It also had a few different nuances compared to a few years later:

Dallas in SB X was a Wild Card and they had a lot of younger guys (The Dirty Dozen from their 1975 draft) and were probably not expected to face Pittsburgh at the Orange Bowl, and aesthetically the Orange Bowl looked a bit out of place with AstroTurf. (I think the other 3 NFC teams were probably seen as having a better shot making it to here since DAL didn't win their division)

This Super Bowl (XIII) had so many things attached:
  • First SB of the new 16-game season, 2 WC's per conference, 5 playoff teams per conference
  • First season after rules changes to encourage passing (which Bradshaw and company clearly excelled at)
  • The number of future Hall of Famers on both sides
  • Both teams were vying to be the first 3x SB winner
  • Dallas was defending SB champ, so you had 4 of the previous 7 SB winners
  • The first SB where two teams faced off against each other a second time
  • The Orange Bowl back to natural grass after a few years of turf
  • Curt Gowdy calling his final NFL game for NBC
  • The culmination of what I thought was one a landmark NFL season (16 games, extra playoff teams, the Wild Card game, the era of big play passing began)
And then there was the game itself.
  • Bradshaw's greatest performance
  • Lynn Swann had more receptions than even SB X- while maybe they weren't as spectacular, they were just as clutch
  • Stallworth stepping up as only Stallworth can
  • Talent galore on both sides, big play after big play.
All in all, a truly super Super Bowl
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-08-2017, 09:57 PM

(06-08-2017, 04:00 PM)Guest Wrote: An epic game like this deserves an epic post. This may be long, but I think it covers everything:

The first DAL-PIT SB was the first really fun Super Bowl with a lot of big moments: Lynn Swann's catches, Percy Howard, Lambert standing up to Cliff Harris and defending Gerela, which led to the classic "Jack Lambert is a defender of what is right" quote from Noll.

Dallas in SB X was a Wild Card and they had a lot of younger guys (The Dirty Dozen from their 1975 draft) and were probably not expected to face Pittsburgh at the Orange Bowl, and aesthetically the Orange Bowl looked a bit out of place with AstroTurf. (I think the other 3 NFC teams were probably seen as having a better shot making it to here since DAL didn't win their division)

• First SB of the new 16-game season, 2 WC's per conference, 5 playoff teams per conference
  • First season after rules changes to encourage passing (which Bradshaw and company clearly excelled at)
  • The culmination of what I thought was one a landmark NFL season (16 games, extra playoff teams, the Wild Card game, the era of big play passing began)
  • Lynn Swann had more receptions than even SB X- while maybe they weren't as spectacular, they were just as clutch

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Fantastic post! You hit the nail on the head. This was going to be a really special game (no matter what else happened) because of the quality of the match-up. I don't think any Super Bowl before or since has paired up teams of this quality. These were not only the two best teams in the league (which is often not the case in the Super Bowl), they were the two best teams of the era. As you said, both teams were LOADED with Hall of Fame talent and on that level, this game was special before it even started.

Add to that the fact that the game itself was fantastic. As you said, a circus of big plays by the game's biggest stars. Incredibly entertaining. And while the game looked like it might become a blowout for a brief moment in the 4th quarter, Staubach was true to his "never say die" legend and brought the Cowboys storming back to take it right down to the final snap.

There have been Super Bowls with more drama at the finish; you be hard-pressed to find a game with more drama at the end than last year's overtime finish between the Patriots and Falcons. But let's face it... it was the Falcons. Matt Ryan is to QBs what khaki Dockers are to pants. The Steelers/Cards game had a great finish. But it was the Cards (probably the 8th best team in the NFC that year).

Super Bowl XIII was truly the Best vs. the Best and I don't think there's another example of this kind of quality match-up in Super Bowl history.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-09-2017, 02:19 AM

Dallas vs. Buffalo twice is the only other one that from a combined talent standpoint that could compare.

I think there's a combined eight Hall of Famer's who played in their two games.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-09-2017, 03:23 AM

(06-09-2017, 02:19 AM)Crash Wrote: Dallas vs. Buffalo twice is the only other one that from a combined talent standpoint that could compare.  

I think there's a combined eight Hall of Famer's who played in their two games.

Definitely two great teams (Dallas and Buffalo). That said, I think the other part of that equation is that the two best teams in the league during that period (Buffalo and Dallas) were Dallas and San Fran with Buffalo being a (distant) 3rd. 

Pretty crazy to think that the Steelers alone fielded 9 (NINE!!!) Hall of Fame players from '74-'79. Pi_shocked It boggles the mind!
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-09-2017, 05:16 AM

I was wrong. Larry Allen is in too. That's nine.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-13-2017, 10:27 AM

Man... no matter how many times I watch this game (or just zip through my favorite parts), I enjoy it every single time. I never get tired of it. Just a great, great game.  

Thumbsup Pi_bigsmile Dance Rockon Smokin
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-13-2017, 11:34 PM

Do you guys count Dungy as one of the Hall of Famers ?

Remember, he is in a coach, though Chuck Noll's influence lead to Dungy becoming a coach himself and he pretty much modeled much of the Bucs Tampa 2 after many of the Steelers defensive formations.

Hell, in his first meeting with Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks he told them, "You two are going to be my Jack Ham and Joe Greene, with Hardy being Jack Lambert." (or something to that affect)
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-13-2017, 11:35 PM

(06-08-2017, 09:57 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(06-08-2017, 04:00 PM)Guest Wrote: An epic game like this deserves an epic post. This may be long, but I think it covers everything:

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Fantastic post! You hit the nail on the head. This was going to be a really special game (no matter what else happened) because of the quality of the match-up. I don't think any Super Bowl before or since has paired up teams of this quality. These were not only the two best teams in the league (which is often not the case in the Super Bowl), they were the two best teams of the era. As you said, both teams were LOADED with Hall of Fame talent and on that level, this game was special before it even started.

Add to that the fact that the game itself was fantastic. As you said, a circus of big plays by the game's biggest stars. Incredibly entertaining. And while the game looked like it might become a blowout for a brief moment in the 4th quarter, Staubach was true to his "never say die" legend and brought the Cowboys storming back to take it right down to the final snap.

There have been Super Bowls with more drama at the finish; you be hard-pressed to find a game with more drama at the end than last year's overtime finish between the Patriots and Falcons. But let's face it... it was the Falcons. Matt Ryan is to QBs what khaki Dockers are to pants. The Steelers/Cards game had a great finish. But it was the Cards (probably the 8th best team in the NFC that year).

Super Bowl XIII was truly the Best vs. the Best and I don't think there's another example of this kind of quality match-up in Super Bowl history.

Didn't one of the Steelers say something to the effect of, "The clock clinched the win. Staubach simply ran out of time." ?
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-13-2017, 11:38 PM

Ok guys, what the post Super Bowl show ?

Did they even do that back then ?

I remember the first SB I watched was SB 17 with the Dolphins and Redskins and the A-Team premiered afterwards. Got 100 million person audience too, lol...
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2017, 11:38 PM by thespiritof1976.)
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-14-2017, 02:48 AM

Donnie Shell should also be in the Hall, IMO.

Along with Cliff Branch.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-14-2017, 08:05 AM

(07-13-2017, 11:34 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: Do you guys count Dungy as one of the Hall of Famers ?

Remember, he is in a coach, though Chuck Noll's influence lead to Dungy becoming a coach himself and he pretty much modeled much of the Bucs Tampa 2 after many of the Steelers defensive formations.

Hell, in his first meeting with Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks he told them, "You two are going to be my Jack Ham and Joe Greene, with Hardy being Jack Lambert." (or something to that affect)

No, I actually forgot about Tony Dungy, although let's face it... he's not in the Hall for what he did on the field in the '70s. Love Tony Dungy, though. As men go, he's a good one. 

(07-13-2017, 11:35 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: Didn't one of the Steelers say something to the effect of, "The clock clinched the win. Staubach simply ran out of time." ?

Not sure it was a Steeler who said it, but I've heard the quote. But the reality is, once the Steelers got up 35-17, they relaxed a little defensively. Dallas couldn't stop Bradshaw, so given more time, Terry would've gotten the ball back and continued to pick them apart. Staubach padded his stats nicely in garbage time against a defense that was sitting back and playing prevent. Terry got it done when it mattered.  

Here's the QB comparison when Bradshaw threw his final pass in the 4th quarter:

Bradshaw 17 of 30, 56.7%, 318 yards, 4 TD, 1 Int, QB Rating 124.0
Staubach 7 of 17, 41.2%, 115 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int, QB Rating 59.7

(07-14-2017, 02:48 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: Donnie Shell should also be in the Hall, IMO.

Along with Cliff Branch.

Agreed on Donnie Shell. L.C. Greenwood, too, IMO. 

Perhaps I'm just too biased against the Raiders to give Cliff Branch a HOF vote, but I view him as a one-trick pony. "Go deep, Cliff!"
Crash
All Pro Veteran

07-14-2017, 12:55 PM

Cliff Branch was a bastard to cover. Even in his later years he could still go.

If they put Stabler in with his meek Houston and Saints numbers I can't see why Branch isn't in.

LC not in is a crime. In a way I kind of hope they don't put him in now that he's not here to enjoy it. That always bugs me. They put a guy in 20 years after he quit. Why so long? Did he become a better player not playing for 20 years?

A lot of the problem for Steelers trying to get in now is Ed Bouchette of the PG is their presenter. He basically mails these in every year unless he really likes the guy. In Alan Faneca's first shot Ed's presentation lasted a whole 7 minutes and change. By far the shortest "effort" of the day.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-14-2017, 03:48 PM

(07-14-2017, 12:55 PM)Crash Wrote: If they put Stabler in with his meek Houston and Saints numbers I can't see why Branch isn't in.

I didn't say this about Stabler in my previous post because I worried it was in poor taste... but since you brought Stabler up (notice how I'm sneakily pinning blame on you for what I'm about to say? Laugh ), IMO, Stabler got in mostly because of the timing of his death. All that talent around him -- just a SICK amount of talent -- and only 1 Super Bowl? And the moment they ditched Stabler, in comes Plunkett from the ash heap of history to lead them to the Super Bowl.

(07-14-2017, 12:55 PM)Crash Wrote: Cliff Branch was a bastard to cover.  Even in his later years he could still go.  

He was a bastard to cover... DEEP. Which is kind of my point. He wasn't the kind of guy where you feared his route running. Just don't let him get behind you.

(07-14-2017, 12:55 PM)Crash Wrote: LC not in is a crime.  In a way I kind of hope they don't put him in now that he's not here to enjoy it.  That always bugs me.  They put a guy in 20 years after he quit.  Why so long?  Did he become a better player not playing for 20 years?  

A lot of the problem for Steelers trying to get in now is Ed Bouchette of the PG is their presenter.  He basically mails these in every year unless he really likes the guy.  In Alan Faneca's first shot Ed's presentation lasted a whole 7 minutes and change.  By far the shortest "effort" of the day.

The whole process of Hall of Fame voting bothers me. Very political, very much a popularity contest and definitely linked to how persuasive "presenters" are. And to your point.. the Steelers truly miss having Myron Cope lobbying on their behalf. Bouchette is such a wet bag of oats. The Eeyore of Pittsburgh sports.
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-15-2017, 01:56 AM

Another thing is how the NFL used to record stats. If the sack was an official stat back in the 60's and 70's then a few additional players would be in the HOF.

Al "Bubba Baker", for example. He had 130 sacks in his career but only 68 or so were "official". Hell, he had 26 or so back in 1978!

I know Deacon Jones would boast that he had "at least" 300 sacks in his career. Well, a few people went back and came up with "unofficial" sack numbers from the old days and while Jones didn't have 300, he did have at least 177.

Here are the REAL sack numbers, FWIW:

ALL-TIME NFL SACK LEADERS

1. Bruce Smith 200.0
2. Reggie White 198.0
3. Deacon Jones 173.5
4. Kevin Green 160.0
5. Chris Doleman 150.5
Jack Youngblood 150.5
6. Alan Page 148.5
7. Lawrence Taylor 142.0
8. Michael Strahan 141.5
9. John Randal 137.5
Richard Dent 137.5
10. Rickey Jackson 136.0
11. Carl Eller 133.5
12. Claude Humphrey 132.5
Leslie O'Neal 132.5
13. Coy Bacon 130.0
Al Baker 130.0
14. Jason Taylor 127.5
15. Jim Marshall 127.0
16. Derrick Thomas 126.5
17. Cedrick Hardman 126.0
18. Simeon Rice 122.0
19. Clyde Simmons 121.5
20. Jacob Green 116
21. Harvey Martin 114.0
22. Sean Jones 113.0
23. Lyle Alzado 112.5
24. Randy White 111.0
25. Greg Townsend 109.5
26. Andy Robustelli 109.0
27. Mark Gastineau 107.5
Pat Swilling 107.5
28. Ed Jones 106.0
Trace Armstrong 106.0
29. Elvin Bethia 105.0
30. Neil Smith 104.5
Kevin Carter 104.5
31. Dezter Manley 103.5
32. Fred Dryer 103.0
Jack Gregory 103.0
33. Jim Jeffcoat 102.5
34. Tommy Hart 101.0
35. Charles Haley 100.5
William Fuller 100.5
36. Ezra Johnson 100.0
Andre Tippett 100.0
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-15-2017, 02:12 AM

IMO, here are some players that I think should be in the HOF (and yes, I expect some of you guys to laugh your asses off on a few of these):

Bucs (Yeah, I'm a homer):
Hardy Nickerson
Simeon Rice
John Lynch
Ronde Barber
Jimmie Giles

Coaches:
Don Coryell
Bill Cowner
Marty Schottenheimer
Chuck Knox
Tom Flores

Quarterbacks:
Jim Plunkett
Joe Theismann
Phil Simms
Ken Anderson
Jim Hart

Receivers:
Henry Ellard
Stanley Morgan
Cliff Branch

Running Backs:
Billy Sims
Roger Craig

OL:
Alan Faneca
Jerry Kramer

DL:
Al "Bubba" Baker
Jim Marshall
Harvey Martin

DB's and Safetys:
Donnie Shell
Ken Riley
Dave Brown
Bobby Boyd
Everson Walls

Linebackers:
Tommy Nobis
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2017, 02:34 AM by thespiritof1976.)
Crash
All Pro Veteran

07-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Dan Reeves not in but Marv Levy is in bothers me.  

Quote:Bouchette is such a wet bag of oats.

I just spit my water.  And it's the truth.  Ever since he got busted making up that story that Cowher promised Richard Huntley the RB job and Cowher made him go on TV and admit it he's basically become a snarky asshole to everyone and everything around him.

Quote:OL:
Alan Faneca
Jerry Kramer

My BP is gonna go up.   Pi_supermad

Bubba Baker just got his revenge though.  His boneless ribs company is the provider for Hardees/Carl's Jr's boneless rib burger to the tune of a $16 MILLION dollar contract.  Good for him.  And that burger kicks ass.  

Rickey Watters not in is a joke too.  For who, for what?  That quote is the ONLY reason he's not in.  
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2017, 01:01 PM by Crash.)
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

08-23-2017, 03:08 AM

After the game, we have Mike Adamle and Fran Tarkenton in the Steeler dressing room, Bryant Gumbel interviewing Roger Staubach and Tom Landry, plus examinations of Jackie Smith's infamous drop and the interference that wasn't against Benny Barnes on Lynn Swann. We also have the trophy presentation to the Chief. Interestingly, I'm not sure if we were supposed to see Swannie pop that champagne cork or not; NBC had a debuting show up next and was in a hurry to sign off, and it almost seemed like an accident when they went back to the Steeler dressing room just in time to catch that. I guess it was lucky for us that they did!

Before the game, we had comments from Dick Enberg and the broadcasters (Curt Gowdy, John Brodie and Merlin Olsen), plus player introductions and the coin toss from George Halas. By the way, if you thought you heard Jack Fleming and Myron Cope out of nowhere, you did. Either the PA system or the ref's mic (not sure which) was on the same frequency as the Steeler radio broadcast!

Also, Dick references and dismisses newspaper stories saying that there was a rivalry between himself and Curt Well, there was, but it wasn't personal. NBC hired Dick in '78 to be their main NFL voice, which Curt had been before. But Curt's contract specified that he had the right to call the Super Bowl when NBC had it, so Dick decided to step out of the booth and let Curt call the game while he took over the hosting duties that Bryant Gumbel presumably would have had. Outside of a few college basketball games, it was the last NBC assignment Curt ever had; he was "traded" to CBS for Don Criqui the following year.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-23-2017, 08:33 AM

Good stuff, as always, Garrett.  Thumbsup
danderson400
Special Teamer

08-23-2017, 10:50 AM

(08-23-2017, 03:08 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: After the game, we have Mike Adamle and Fran Tarkenton in the Steeler dressing room, Bryant Gumbel interviewing Roger Staubach and Tom Landry, plus examinations of Jackie Smith's infamous drop and the interference that wasn't against Benny Barnes on Lynn Swann. We also have the trophy presentation to the Chief. Interestingly, I'm not sure if we were supposed to see Swannie pop that champagne cork or not; NBC had a debuting show up next and was in a hurry to sign off, and it almost seemed like an accident when they went back to the Steeler dressing room just in time to catch that. I guess it was lucky for us that they did!

Before the game, we had comments from Dick Enberg and the broadcasters (Curt Gowdy, John Brodie and Merlin Olsen), plus player introductions and the coin toss from George Halas. By the way, if you thought you heard Jack Fleming and Myron Cope out of nowhere, you did. Either the PA system or the ref's mic (not sure which) was on the same frequency as the Steeler radio broadcast!

Also, Dick references and dismisses newspaper stories saying that there was a rivalry between himself and Curt  Well, there was, but it wasn't personal. NBC hired Dick in '78 to be their main NFL voice, which Curt had been before. But Curt's contract specified that he had the right to call the Super Bowl when NBC had it, so Dick decided to step out of the booth and let Curt call the game while he took over the hosting duties that Bryant Gumbel presumably would have had. Outside of a few college basketball games, it was the last NBC assignment Curt ever had; he was "traded" to CBS for Don Criqui the following year.
I didn't realize this until now, but i've always thought that Fran Tarkenton worked for ABC. I know Mike Adamle went to ABC later on.

As far as Enberg, maybe NBC should have given Curt the day off, and let Enberg do the game, with Bryant Gumbel  doing his usual hosting duties.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

08-23-2017, 03:36 PM

Fran did work for ABC later on. But he was still playing in 1978 so this was merely a guest shot until he went to ABC months later.

Like when Terry used to do CBS' playoffs studio work on NFL Today when we weren't playing and he was still an active player.
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

08-24-2017, 11:04 PM

The halftime show was called "Carnival" and featured acts from every recognized Caribbean country. Again, I may be in the minority, but it felt fresher and more energetic than today's overly produced rock concerts, plus it was something unique that gave the show a Miami flavor, much like the Duke Ellington tribute did for New Orleans in Super Bowl IX.

Danderson, keeping Curt off the game would have breached his contract and caused NBC embarrassment that they didn't need. They worked things out the only way they could. The one who got the short end was Gumbel, who didn't even get to go to the winning dressing room after the game.