Quitters...................
Noll and Cowher teams no more
SmashMouth and Blitzburgh!

10-07-2019, 10:31 PM

No not the team but you all. 

Even though we have lost more games than I like, I am so siked at what I have seen from the players after Ben went down. This team does not have "quit" in them and I feel that the turnovers are from players giving that extra 110% to help the team win but by that losing focus on the basics in ball handling. This will all come together sooner than later.
I see something with all the player that I have not seen in a long time and that’s team unity. Remember the old "Band of Brothers" from a little over a decade ago? Well that had been long lost and It feels like it has been found with this group. Heck I even see Ben being more helpful with the others players than ever before his injury.
This team is so young in a lot of positions and the future looks promising. Never thought I’d be so excited about what I see out on the field with the potential, even in a loss.

Most of you have worn out the name "Dingus" for Tomlin. It was funny when Rollers first said it but it's freakin Rain Man'd out by everyone else. Little secret here.....Tomlin did not lose any games this season, the players did. ( I am not a Tomlin lover by any means I just rfuse to put blame wear it don't belong)

Get your ass back in the game and quit crying that the season is over. We are in a freaking division that is not that strong and only two games back after ONLY five freaking games.

It's "Gut Check" time. Not for the players because they have not quit, but for you all. 

Our future is bright with these young players. Get pumped for whats to come!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-08-2019, 01:39 AM

(10-07-2019, 10:31 PM)Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote: No not the team but you all. 

Even though we have lost more games than I like, I am so siked at what I have seen from the players after Ben went down. This team does not have "quit" in them and I feel that the turnovers are from players giving that extra 110% to help the team win but by that losing focus on the basics in ball handling. This will all come together sooner than later.
I see something with all the player that I have not seen in a long time and that’s team unity. Remember the old "Band of Brothers" from a little over a decade ago? Well that had been long lost and It feels like it has been found with this group. Heck I even see Ben being more helpful with the others players than ever before his injury.
This team is so young in a lot of positions and the future looks promising. Never thought I’d be so excited about what I see out on the field with the potential, even in a loss.

Most of you have worn out the name "Dingus" for Tomlin. It was funny when Rollers first said it but it's freakin Rain Man'd out by everyone else. Little secret here.....Tomlin did not lose any games this season, the players did. ( I am not a Tomlin lover by any means I just rfuse to put blame wear it don't belong)

Get your ass back in the game and quit crying that the season is over. We are in a freaking division that is not that strong and only two games back after ONLY five freaking games.

It's "Gut Check" time. Not for the players because they have not quit, but for you all. 

I definitely appreciate the optimism. You're right... it could be worse, it's not over, and through 5 games, the team definitely hasn't quit. We've been competitive in every contest but one, despite some pretty heavy-duty adversity (on and off the field). Aside from the week 1 debacle in New England, every game has been decided by 4 points or less. 

But the standard is the standard, and we are not winning. Player execution is certainly part of it: Juju's fumble, Conner's fumble... Moncrief. Injuries are also part of it, obviously. 

But questionable coaching in critical situations has also contributed. 

First: Take that stupid f-ing wildcat package out of the playbook. Why, why, WHY would we run a HB option pass in the shadow of our own goalpost??? Who the f--- DOES that??? That is ridiculously poor situational football. Take that stupid INT away, perhaps we escape with a win yesterday with a chance to amazingly be in first place if San Fran beats Cleveland tonight.  

Instead, we're now 1-4. It's not 1976. 

Yes, the defense has played quite well over the last two weeks. But we don't have Lambert, Ham, Mean Joe, Blount, Shell, Greenwood, Mad Dog, Arrowhead, Russell, Edwards and Wagner. 

Play the games and fight hard... but at 1-4, this team is going nowhere. It's too big of a mountain to climb. Hopefully, it will serve as a positive learning experience for young players and we'll emerge better (and with a legitimate shot) next year. I'm still gonna cheer for the team as I always have. But I recognize (and sadly, accept) that post-season contention is gone for the 2019 season. If we get to .500, that will be a huge success. Not one I'll derive much joy from, but it beats 4-12. 

I will admit that a small part of me -- way down deep -- almost hopes we finish 7-9 vs. 8-8 if indeed the playoffs are not an option, just so people can stop saying, "Mike Tomlin has never had a losing season."  Pi_bigsmile
sandfan
Hall of Famer

10-08-2019, 03:20 AM

I only got to watch about the last 10 or so minutes of regulation time yesterday. There's no doubt the team did not quit during that period. I have to rely, more than I would like, on input from the media and this board to form opinions deeper than that. I got to watch the Bengals game but help my son run his business every Sunday in Charleston.

The decision to kick in overtime did not surprise me. It seemed the prudent play. What was disappointing is the lack of intensity to get 7 in the closing minutes. The screen was questionable. Two runs prior to that left me feeling Tomlin and his staff were living in their fears. The kid was throwing the ball OK and the game, at that point, did not seem to be too big for him. The fumble took the ball out of his hands and the game was lost.

The Steelers have not been outclassed except for the Pats game and that's nothing new. Close losses are still just that, L's. One has to dig deep to find any positives in 1-4. But they are there and may provide some solace longer term. I fear another loss in CA will eliminate the team from playoff contention. Regardless of a weaker than normal division.

However, with respect to the future, I hope it plays out without Tomlin and most of his staff. I really don't care for the new standard.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-08-2019, 04:34 AM

I'm not sure who was quitting, the team certainly didn't. I couldn't see the game either and I couldn't find a link anywhere on line. Even the helmets weren't working. As Coach Cowher said "You are what your record says you are." I think it was Cowher that said that.

However a few plays here or there we could be 4-1. But the football gods haven't been kind to us. With that being said and what I've been able to read and see clips the wildcat in the shadow of our goal post was "assoholic" at best. Even if it works what do you gain 4 or 5 yards. We gave up an early 7 there and ultimately cost us the game. High risk, low reward. 

I watched the Ju-Ju play and I'm not sure it was a fumble as much as it was a great play by the DB. However, you have to protect the ball at all costs. We have a young team, the future is bright, but I'm standing my ground. We need major changes at the coaching level. This is starting to remind me of the last years of Noll. Great coach, even greater man and husband and father, but a change was needed.

Tomlin is not getting the job done.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2019, 04:59 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-08-2019, 06:20 AM

(10-08-2019, 04:34 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: This is starting to remind me of the last years of Noll. Great coach, even greater man and husband and father, but a change was needed.

This is where I land on Tomlin as well. I don't think he's a bad coach. Honestly, I don't. I just think things have naturally run their course. 

It was time for Noll to go... it was time for Cowher to go... I think it's time for Tomlin to go. 

I'm not going to lose sleep over it if he stays, however. He's already proven he's capable of winning a Super Bowl. Maybe the challenges of this season will be enough to break him out of his slump? 

But I dream...  Wavehello
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-08-2019, 06:33 AM

Whether this season is over or not depends on what your standard is. If nothing less than a Super Bowl win will do for you, then I guess you're screwed and need to find something else to do with your time, because this team isn't even close. I'm not even sure the organization itself thought they were a contender, although they'd never admit such a thing.

A division title is probably out of the question as well, but a wild card at 8-8 or 9-7 isn't, at least mathematically. Once a team is in, anything can happen. Yes, they'd probably get waxed in New England or Kansas City, but making it would be an accomplishment all by itself, even if they lose in the first round. Among other things, it means that they'll have found Ben's successor, since either Rudolph or Hodges will have to play lights out for the team to go 7-4 or 8-3 the rest of the way. Of course, a playoff spot probably saves Tomlin's job if not the entire coaching staff, which I know would be a calamity for most of you.

There's still hope in this year; it's just a matter of what you choose to hope for.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 06:35 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-08-2019, 07:01 AM

The goal of every NFL team should be a Super Bowl season.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Barney
Hall of Famer

10-08-2019, 07:18 AM

(10-08-2019, 07:01 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: The goal of every NFL team should be a Super Bowl season.

Sure but then you wake up realizing you live in Cleveland and root for the Browns...  Suddenly a not losing season is a Super Bowl... maybe throw in a close game against the Burgh. You have to have realistic expectations! Sorry Rex.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-08-2019, 07:20 AM

It's not about the team's goal; it's about what hope the fans can take from what's left of this year. Those are two different things, and that's where fans confuse themselves sometimes. I have no expectations for the Steelers in any situation; I take the wins and losses they give me and glean whatever entertainment I can from them. I hope they make the Super Bowl as often as they possibly can, but mostly I just watch them play and hope they win. Whether they do or they don't, I have a good time most of the time simply because players in Steelers uniforms are on my TV. That's all I feel entitled to ask for as a fan; anything else leads to disappointment more often than not.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2020, 06:00 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

10-08-2019, 07:54 AM

(10-07-2019, 10:31 PM)Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote: No not the team but you all. 

sorry our future is most certainly NOT bright.  This coaching staff has 8 number one picks on defense.  One of those number ones is playing special teams only. Edmunds is not a first round talent even though he was chosen there by this dingus and his minions.  When you say the dingus didn't lose any games then why even have a coach?  Just let the guys go through practice on their own and don't bother scheming or anything else just throw the guys out there and see what happens.  This team is most certainly NOT well coached.  Nor is it well prepared.  Who the hell calls a halfback pass in that situation and we throw it for an interception?  The season is OVER.  So I'll be watching to see if Rudolph can somehow turn into a franchise QB.  I have my doubts.  I'd love to see Hodges play again just to watch him sling it all over the field.  But you can count on if he's the starter next game the wildcat will be back and 2 yard throws will rule the day once again.  The Rooney's will not fire the dingus so there's no worry there if you're a Tomlin fan.  I mean now the poor coach is down to his number 3 QB right?  So he's as safe as if he were in his momma's arms.  He will bring back his two coordinators as well.  He has wasted Ben's best years as a QB with his poor coaching and game management.  So that's where I stand on Tomlin   Not trying to pick a fight with you but this coaching staff is absolutely abysmal.  Special teams, defense, offense, game management you name it.  So that's how I feel
Rollers
Hall of Famer

10-08-2019, 07:55 AM

(10-08-2019, 07:18 AM)Barney Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 07:01 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: The goal of every NFL team should be a Super Bowl season.

Sure but then you wake up realizing you live in Cleveland and root for the Browns...  Suddenly a not losing season is a Super Bowl... maybe throw in a close game against the Burgh. You have to have realistic expectations! Sorry Rex.

last year we tied the brownies and it cost us a playoff spot.  Remember that great game?

10-08-2019, 08:46 PM

(10-08-2019, 04:34 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: I'm not sure who was quitting, the team certainly didn't. 
Quote:[b]Cali-Steeler[/b]
Hall of Famer

Fu%$#g Pissed off.... The last field goal seems they were playing for the field goal and not trying to make first down... Total Tomlin Turtle Mode... 7 Points on the last regulation time and this game might have been over.

Clock management before the half sucked. Play calling sucked. BEING 1-4 Sucks! I HATE, HATE, HATE Tomlin... There's nothing more to get excited about. Fu##$#$$$! F%$$#@@!

Quote:[b]Rollers[/b]
Hall of Famer

well our season is over. no number one pick next year. nothing.
Quote:[b]mcmillenandwife[/b]
Administrator
[Image: logo.gif][Image: logo.gif][Image: logo.gif][Image: logo.gif][Image: logo.gif][Image: logo.gif][Image: logo.gif]

[Image: avatar_1.jpg?dateline=1491243147]

Season over. You have to wonder what might've happened had we removed those stupid fucking wildcat plays from the playbook.
Quote:[b]bbbooger[/b]
All Pro Veteran

See ya next year
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2019, 12:50 AM by Noll and Cowher teams no more.)

10-08-2019, 09:08 PM

Didn't any of you guys after Noll's tenure get excited to see a new Steeler team in the making? Or did you all just pout week after week digging at all that went wrong instead of the positives like watching the young players like Woodson, Everett, Hall, Lake, Lloyd, Nickerson etc. (man I can go on and on) groom into a dominant defense?

Did any of you have kids that played in sports? If so, did you enjoy the games or look for all the bad? 
If your kids team lost a game did you pull them off the loser team?  Pi_nervous

Why do you even watch the Steelers games if it brings so much stress and anger into your lives?

Reality is, you can't win them all. I truly believe none of you would be satisfied unless the team won every game, completed every pass, won every challenge, came up with a perfect gameplan, shut out every opponent and scored a 50 points every game.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2019, 09:28 PM by Noll and Cowher teams no more.)
Barney
Hall of Famer

10-09-2019, 03:58 AM

(10-08-2019, 07:55 AM)Rollers Wrote:

last year we tied the brownies and it cost us a playoff spot.  Remember that great game?

And for the Brows that was a Super Bowl win!  See what I'm saying?
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-09-2019, 04:27 AM

A lot of Pittsburgh sports fans are spoiled, or at least like to act that way. It's not just the Steelers, it's the Pirates and Penguins too. Everyone wants to see success for their teams and complains when it doesn't come about, but this bunch (of which there are many on this board) take it as a personal affront when their trams lose. Not only do they complain about what went wrong, they start attacking the people whom they believe to be responsible for it personally. To call Tomlin grade-school names "dingus" or "ham sammitch" just because the Steelers lost a few football games? Not to mention the now cliched "Dumblin" and "Coach Cliché"? Do insults like that really make the insulter feel better about the losses? Does it make them more ready to watch the next game? Or does it just make them angrier, more likely to blow up at the next mistake the Steelers make (and they'll make plenty the rest of this year, trust me)? I vote for the latter.

But what perplexes me even more than people like that are the ones who say that they don't like the NFL anymore and think it's a sissy league filled with prima donnas and such, and say they have better things to do, yet seem to know almost every detail of the games that they supposedly don't like to watch. Hell, the very owner of this board was one of them, and he told me in very pointed language exactly what I could do when I tried to suggest that he not watch the opener against the Patriots. Are these people really disgusted with the NFL and how it's run, or are they just mad that the Steelers aren't dominating it? (To be fair, the game has changed for the worse over the last twenty-five years or so, especially on defense, but the offenses are more exciting than ever, which in theory should help to make up for it.)
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2020, 06:03 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
sandfan
Hall of Famer

10-09-2019, 05:33 AM

I've transitioned away from the NFL. I have not watched a game other than one in which the Steelers participated in over 2 seasons. That, by the way, includes post season play. I did go to a few super bowl parties but the game was tertiary. Only watched the Bengals game and maybe 15 minutes of the Ravens game including overtime. I was a more than 15 year season ticket holder. So yes, some of us have found better things to do now that the NFL and Tomlin have begun to erode the entertainment value of the sport. I still care about local sports teams mostly for my family still residing in the city. So I follow this team via the media and a few boards just so I can participate in Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthday events or phone discussions.

I still catch a college game on Saturday after golf. So my interest in the sport has not completely waned. It's just the quality of the NFL game and Tomlin that have turned me off.

Maybe I was spoiled by the 70's. However, I do think every business should be run to optimize the assets available and don't think Tomlin has measured up to that standard. The only way I'm concerned about his race, for those of you who might think that runs deep in my psyche, is that he was hired under the Rooney rule. I'm not sure that rule makes any more sense than the equal opportunity regulations that permeate our Nation. I favor hiring the best talent available regardless of race, gender, age, etc. The bottom line is what should matter most. Does not matter if it's in $ or W's.

As far as name calling I think Tomlin certainly deserves his coach cliche moniker. He's turned so many phrases and invented so many ways to describe actions and failures I've lost count. Fans might be more accepting if he just admitted why he and the team failed to measure up to the standard in plain language. Obfuscation via flowery linguistics just does not fit with what football should be.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-09-2019, 07:20 AM

I admire Tomlin's ability to turn a phrase. The last thing I need to hear is a dumb jock, or someone who used to be one, mouthing the same old clichés in a boring monotone. Besides, the last thing he wants to do in a press conference is speak plain English. Plain English can be easily deciphered by opponents as well as fans, and it can also be picked apart by the media. If the writers can't understand what he's saying, they can't criticize him for it, not that he'd listen anyway. That goes for fans too; we're free to help pay his salary or not as we choose, but he's under no obligation whatsoever to explain himself to us. If the NFL didn't mandate that he have media availabilities every week to provide useless sound bites for its programming, I doubt we'd ever hear from him, and I think that would suit him just fine.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-09-2019, 08:13 AM

(10-09-2019, 04:27 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: "ham sammitch"

Just for the record, it's Ham Sammich... capitalized, and there is no "t". Pi_bigsmile
Rollers
Hall of Famer

10-09-2019, 09:25 AM

(10-09-2019, 08:13 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 04:27 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: "ham sammitch"

Just for the record, it's Ham Sammich... capitalized, and there is no "t". Pi_bigsmile

Important clarification there!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

10-09-2019, 09:26 AM

(10-09-2019, 07:20 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: I admire Tomlin's ability to turn a phrase. The last thing I need to hear is a dumb jock, or someone who used to be one, mouthing the same old clichés in a boring monotone. Besides, the last thing he wants to do in a press conference is speak plain English. Plain English can be easily deciphered by opponents as well as fans, and it can also be picked apart by the media. If the writers can't understand what he's saying, they can't criticize him for it, not that he'd listen anyway. That goes for fans too; we're free to help pay his salary or not as we choose, but he's under no obligation whatsoever to explain himself to us. If the NFL didn't mandate that he have media availabilities every week to provide useless sound bites for its programming, I doubt we'd ever hear from him, and I think that would suit him just fine.

I seem to remember you saying you were done with this board?  What happened to that?
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-09-2019, 09:42 AM

I can change my mind if I want to, as many times as I want to. It's that simple.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2019, 09:43 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

10-09-2019, 11:08 AM

(10-09-2019, 09:42 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: I can change my mind if I want to, as many times as I want to. It's that simple.

ah ok.  So you decided to hang out with all us racists here anyway?  We need you to point out the deficiencies in our lives in that area so I'm glad you're hanging around.  You can function as my conscience
Krunch
Hall of Famer

10-09-2019, 12:19 PM

(10-09-2019, 11:08 AM)Rollers Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 09:42 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: I can change my mind if I want to, as many times as I want to. It's that simple.

ah ok.  So you decided to hang out with all us racists here anyway?  We need you to point out the deficiencies in our lives in that area so I'm glad you're hanging around.  You can function as my conscience

Thumbsup Lol

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
Krunch
Hall of Famer

10-10-2019, 03:42 AM

I have to man up and own much of what I have posted over many seasons under Tomlin. I will take a hard hitting, never quit, play to the whistle team all day long - despite the W-L total. If that is what this 2019 team is about, then I'm with them 100%. Tomlin hasn't changed, so it must be that losing Tomlin's assh*t twins and all the distractions he allowed them to bring has solidified the players into a team of pride and desire to play to win as a group. Here's to them turning it around and winning in spite of management.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-10-2019, 04:00 AM

LOL we're 2 games out of first - and get to play the Ravens again...

It's FAR from over
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-10-2019, 10:42 AM

I think a certain pro bowl kicker on the fritz until he went on IR had much more than any other aspect in costing us a chance at the playoffs.... like 4 games maybe....if he was up to form, we may have had a first round bye.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

10-10-2019, 10:45 AM

(10-10-2019, 10:42 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:

I think a certain pro bowl kicker on the fritz until he went on IR had much more than any other aspect in costing us a chance at the playoffs.... like 4 games maybe....if he was up to form, we may have had a first round bye.

I don't care which player cost us what game.  It's a cumulative effort.  It starts with the coaching staff getting these guys prepared.  I believe it's the coaches responsibility to make changes when a player sucks.