Smith-Schuster eager to his physicality to Pittsburgh
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-24-2017, 12:01 AM

I’m not saying JuJu Smith-Schuster is the next Hines Ward. But I bet Ward will be proud of how Smith-Schuster plays on the field.

Speaking with Steelers.com’s Teresa Varley, the Steelers’ second round pick said he was excited to show off his physicality.
“I like just going in there and hitting people, digging them out,” he told Varley. “That’s what you do at USC, you block because that’s what you have to do. Not everyone is physical or likes to block, but that’s one thing I have passion about.”
That’s certainly a rare attitude for the position in today’s NFL. Most have a diva persona, something the Steelers obviously had to deal with through Antonio Brown last year. For as big of a star he is, and he definitely is, he can be a headache, too. It doesn’t sound like Smith-Schuster poses any threat of acting the same way based on what he’s said since being drafted and in the above quote.

Most receivers are focused on yards and touchdowns. To hear Smith-Schuster talking about digging out a safety or being passionate about blocking is refreshing. It’s certainly something we’ve seen Brown be pretty lax about. And it’s a personality that is reminiscent of Ward, who liked taking off Ed Reed’s head as much as he did catching a touchdown.

Read more: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/smi...ittsburgh/
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-24-2017, 01:08 AM

I'm really looking forward to watching this kid play. While I love to hear what he has to say, it's what he does on the field that counts. Gads, training camp is just a little over a month away. It won't be long until the season is upon us.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

05-24-2017, 03:31 AM

IMO I don't care if he blocks. This isn't 1975. The game has changed. Secondary WR blocking means little if your offensive line can't block.

Hines was the best "blocking" WR in football in 2003. But the OL sucked and the Steelers lost 10 games.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-24-2017, 03:46 AM

This is a solid pick and a good kid. Great pick by the Steelers.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-24-2017, 04:01 AM

(05-24-2017, 03:31 AM)Crash Wrote: IMO I don't care if he blocks.  This isn't 1975.  The game has changed.  Secondary WR blocking means little if your offensive line can't block.

Hines was the best "blocking" WR in football in 2003.  But the OL sucked and the Steelers lost 10 games.

The game has definitely changed, but solid blocking by WR's is often the difference between a 4-yard gain and a 40-yard gain. It still matters a lot, not just on runs, but also on short passes.