I'll only say 4 things
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

11-11-2019, 11:06 AM

1.) Hats off to Tomlin on the 4th down call. Balls of steel. I've been rough on him but I'll give him credit here. 

2.) Can we get a RB???? We have to be able to close out the games. Can we get the Bus out of retirement?

3.) I was never sold on Goff in big games. He laid an egg in the SB. 

4.) I told you all!!! BWHahahaha

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

11-12-2019, 12:35 AM

RE: #2

The run blocking has been atrocious, no fullback, TEs that don’t exactly bring back memories of Marc Buener, forced to play your 5th string running back, you expect the second coming of Jim Brown?

I’ll agree we need better production running the football, especially with the impending wind of winter.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-12-2019, 01:26 AM

Agreed on Goff. He's a good QB, but I've never been particularly impressed by anything about him. 

Also agreed, we need a tier-1 RB, and we don't have one right now. Conner is serviceable when healthy, but he's a tier-2 back IMO. 

But while I think the O-line shoulders some of the blame for our poor rushing game, I think it has more to do with having a rookie QB under center and the inability of our young QB and WR's to stretch the field. Whether it's due to lack of ability/experience or extremely conservative play calling, defenses can stack the box and know they're not going to have to pay for it. 

Lastly, agreed on Tomlin's 4th down call. Balls deluxe, and it was a huge factor in coming away with the win. He's winning challenges lately, too. Kudos across the board for Tomlin yesterday. 

Butler deserves some credit, too. I have not been a Butler fan since he took over, but he has the defense executing at a high level right now. Hard to find much fault with him over the last several weeks. Adding Minkah to the mix has elevated the play of everyone around him. It's kinda mind-blowing when you consider how much adding "that guy" to the secondary has improved everything else. This, despite the loss of Tuitt. Pretty amazing. It's not all Minkah, though, so Butler deserves some credit for how well these guys are playing as a unit. 

Fichtner, on the other hand, is struggling right now. In addition to the almost absurdly conservative play calling throughout the game, remarkably ill-advised calls in the shadow of our own goal post have become the norm with him. From idiotic calls inside the 10 that result in INTs thrown by RB's out of the Wildcat to yesterday's bizarre deep drop at our own 5 by Rudolph resulting in a safety, I just think Fichtner is still a deer in the headlights without Ben. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him, but he needs to snap out of it. 

Tomlin is gradually regaining my confidence. After the terrible start we had, he's had a remarkably steady hand over the last 6 weeks and I think he's doing the best coaching right now that I've seen since early in his career.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

11-12-2019, 02:36 AM

(11-12-2019, 01:26 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Agreed on Goff. He's a good QB, but I've never been particularly impressed by anything about him. 

Also agreed, we need a tier-1 RB, and we don't have one right now. Conner is serviceable when healthy, but he's a tier-2 back IMO. 

But while I think the O-line shoulders some of the blame for our poor rushing game, I think it has more to do with having a rookie QB under center and the inability of our young QB and WR's to stretch the field. Whether it's due to lack of ability/experience or extremely conservative play calling, defenses can stack the box and know they're not going to have to pay for it. 

Lastly, agreed on Tomlin's 4th down call. Balls deluxe, and it was a huge factor in coming away with the win. He's winning challenges lately, too. Kudos across the board for Tomlin yesterday. 

Butler deserves some credit, too. I have not been a Butler fan since he took over, but he has the defense executing at a high level right now. Hard to find much fault with him over the last several weeks. Adding Minkah to the mix has elevated the play of everyone around him. It's kinda mind-blowing when you consider how much adding "that guy" to the secondary has improved everything else. This, despite the loss of Tuitt. Pretty amazing. It's not all Minkah, though, so Butler deserves some credit for how well these guys are playing as a unit. 

Fichtner, on the other hand, is struggling right now. In addition to the almost absurdly conservative play calling throughout the game, remarkably ill-advised calls in the shadow of our own goal post have become the norm with him. From idiotic calls inside the 10 that result in INTs thrown by RB's out of the Wildcat to yesterday's bizarre deep drop at our own 5 by Rudolph resulting in a safety, I just think Fichtner is still a deer in the headlights without Ben. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him, but he needs to snap out of it. 

Tomlin is gradually regaining my confidence. After the terrible start we had, he's had a remarkably steady hand over the last 6 weeks and I think he's doing the best coaching right now that I've seen since early in his career.

Could agree more. I wonder if Ficthner is a glorified QB coach and Ben has been running the offense in the past? 

Agreed on Connor, decent tier 2 RB but not a top notch RB. He fumbles at the worse times and I don't know if he's a China Doll or his style is not conducive to his body build. 

Does the run set up the pass or does the pass set-up the run? 

Lastly, it's Tuitt out, not Cam. You scared me for a minute. 

I think if possible we need to keep this defense together, somehow extend DuPree and sign Hargrave. We get a healthy Ben back this team is legit (and add a RB).

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019, 02:41 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-12-2019, 02:58 AM

(11-12-2019, 02:36 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Lastly, it's Tuitt out, not Cam. You scared me for a minute. 

D'oh! Yes, Tuitt. Oh, my... I would flippin' HATE tom lose Cam! I just edited/corrected my post.