11-4?
bksteeler
All Pro Veteran

11-11-2019, 12:05 PM

We face, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Arizona, Buffalo, New York Jets. 

Only one of those has a winning record, with Cleveland, Cincinnati, Arizona and New York all at 3 wins or less.

And Buffalo has been slipping of late, losing two of their last three. They're kind of like us, no offense and good defense.

11-4 is a very real possibility going into the Ravens game. 

Of course, with our habit of losing to terrible teams, and with Mason continuing to look anything but a successor to Ben, we could also be 8-7. 

But I'm thinking that 9-7 or 10-6 at this point is not out of the realm of imagination assuming we have no more major injuries. If we actually get to 11-4, Tomlin, for all the criticism he has taken over the years, including from me, deserves coach of the year.

Still, wait and see. Like I said anything and everything is in the cards, but unless they completely fall apart, I don't see anything worse than 8-8 this year. 

My question is: if Ben had not been hurt, would we still have made the trade for Minkah? He is by far the best safety we've had since Polamalu was in his prime.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

11-11-2019, 01:53 PM

Possible, anything is possible.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-11-2019, 02:05 PM

(11-11-2019, 12:05 PM)bksteeler Wrote: My question is: if Ben had not been hurt, would we still have made the trade for Minkah? He is by far the best safety we've had since Polamalu was in his prime.

This has always been my question: Why did we have to wait until Ben went down to make a bold move like this? Seems like it would've made even more sense with Ben than without if winning Super Bowls is the goal.  

Maybe it's simply an issue of timing. But is sure "seemed" like once Ben went down, the team got more aggressive because they could no longer count on Ben to bail them out. 

(11-11-2019, 12:05 PM)bksteeler Wrote: We face, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Arizona, Buffalo, New York Jets. 

Only one of those has a winning record, with Cleveland, Cincinnati, Arizona and New York all at 3 wins or less.

And Buffalo has been slipping of late, losing two of their last three. They're kind of like us, no offense and good defense.

Of course, with our habit of losing to terrible teams, and with Mason continuing to look anything but a successor to Ben, we could also be 8-7. 

But I'm thinking that 9-7 or 10-6 at this point is not out of the realm of imagination assuming we have no more major injuries. If we actually get to 11-4, Tomlin, for all the criticism he has taken over the years, including from me, deserves coach of the year.

Still, wait and see. Like I said anything and everything is in the cards, but unless they completely fall apart, I don't see anything worse than 8-8 this year. 

From what I can see, if a team can score more than 17 points when we don't score a defensive TD, we're very likely lose. We're forcing turnovers at a clip that IMO is unsustainable. We see it every year; an NFL team forces a lot of turnovers and ends up winning games in which they've perhaps been outplayed. But when the turnovers suddenly don't happen and it falls on the offense to win the game... no dice.

If the defense continues to play big, we're certainly capable of beating Cinci and Cleveland. But if Cleveland in particular manages to play a clean game against us, we could have a problem. 

We are 9 games in and the Steelers haven't scored over 30 points even one time, even with several defensive scores. Historically, teams that don't score 30+ at least once in a while don't go far. 

That said, we do have a very soft schedule moving forward with only 2 out of 7 opponents having winning records (and as you said, Buffalo is waning). The way our defense is playing, it's not hard to envision winning 4-5 of those games. But it will require that we continue forcing turnovers and getting defensive scores. 

We'll see. If Ben was playing, I think we'd be sitting at 7-3 (maybe 8-2 if we assume we still would've made the Minkah acquisition) with a very real chance to run the table. But with this team, sans Ben, I can't bring myself to look ahead that far. It's one game at a time.

Thursday night in Cleveland is going to be a war. Looking forward to it.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

11-11-2019, 02:34 PM

(11-11-2019, 02:05 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 12:05 PM)bksteeler Wrote: My question is: if Ben had not been hurt, would we still have made the trade for Minkah? He is by far the best safety we've had since Polamalu was in his prime.

This has always been my question: Why did we have to wait until Ben went down to make a bold move like this? Seems like it would've made even more sense with Ben than without if winning Super Bowls is the goal.  

Maybe it's simply an issue of timing. But is sure "seemed" like once Ben went down, the team got more aggressive because they could no longer count on Ben to bail them out. 

Tim - From what I read Miami only agreed to the trade after Ben went down. Their reasoning was without Ben we would tank and the pick we traded would be a top 10 pick in the 1st Round. Likely now it will be around #20 or higher. We robbed them blind. 

Defense seems set and I am of full reasoning we should try and sign DuPree. Get Ben back next year and a decent running game with this defense we could make a serious run. 

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2019, 02:35 PM by Chucktownsteeler.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-11-2019, 11:20 PM

(11-11-2019, 02:34 PM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: [quote pid='14676' dateline='1573445106']

Tim - From what I read Miami only agreed to the trade after Ben went down. Their reasoning was without Ben we would tank and the pick we traded would be a top 10 pick in the 1st Round. Likely now it will be around #20 or higher. We robbed them blind. 

Defense seems set and I am of full reasoning we should try and sign DuPree. Get Ben back next year and a decent running game with this defense we could make a serious run. 

[/quote]

Reasonable analysis of the situation. Okay, you've convinced me (i.e., Miami thinking the pick would be a high one without Ben).  

However, 11-4 is a serious stretch. Games aren't played on paper. If they were, we'd be 2-7 right now. 

For now, I just wanna beat Cleveland this season. Twice. Pi_bigsmile
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

11-12-2019, 01:31 AM

(11-11-2019, 12:05 PM)bksteeler Wrote: We face, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Arizona, Buffalo, New York Jets. 

My question is: if Ben had not been hurt, would we still have made the trade for Minkah? He is by far the best safety we've had since Polamalu was in his prime.

A lot of ball to play.....right now I’d feel a whole lot better about 11-4 with two things, a heathy Rosie Nix, and no more injuries.