Mason Rudolph will never be the answer
Rollers
Hall of Famer

11-25-2019, 04:17 AM

It's painfully obvious at this point that we don't have Ben's replacement on the roster at this point.  I sure hope Ben comes back for a couple more years
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

11-25-2019, 04:32 AM

Case in point...! Doh!
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

11-25-2019, 05:39 AM

Anybody remember Bradshaw first season? He was so bad he even got benched in his 4th season. Not that I expect Mason to become the next Bradshaw, but let’s remember these are his first few games.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-25-2019, 05:53 AM

(11-25-2019, 05:39 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: Anybody remember Bradshaw first season? He was so bad he even got benched in his 4th season. Not that I expect Mason to become the next Bradshaw, but let’s remember these are his first few games.

Please... there is zero comparison between Bradshaw and Rudolph. Let's not go there. Ridiculous to even bring it up.
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

11-25-2019, 06:01 AM

Said what I was thinking... None!
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

11-25-2019, 07:05 AM

I purposely mentioned Rudolph was not going to be a Bradshaw but the point still remains, he is very early in his career.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-25-2019, 07:42 AM

(11-25-2019, 07:05 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: I purposely mentioned Rudolph was not going to be a Bradshaw but  the point still remains, he is very early in his career.

Different era. Different circumstances. No correlation whatsoever. 

Forget the chasm in talent level between Bradshaw and Rudolph. Bradshaw had significantly more raw talent than Ben, too. That has nothing to do with it. 

Early in his career or not, young QB's are expected to be WAAAAAAAY more NFL-ready these days. Terry Bradshaw came from a small school with no discernible offensive scheme ("Go make a play, Terry!") and went to a 1-13 perennial loser. Bradshaw didn't even have an offensive coordinator as a rookie (nor for most of his career), nor did he have a coach instructing him via headset throughout the game. 

There's no reason to mention it, because doing so means NOTHING. Sharing the color of your socks might have more relevance to the conversation.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

11-25-2019, 07:53 AM

Rudolph is done. YOu can stick a fork in him. We have to look for a new QB. We don't have a starter on this roster and I have no clue how you find one in a hurry. This is Rudolph's 2nd year in the NFL. There is no reason for him to be completely lost out there like he is. None. He has no ability to move in the pocket at all. Has no clue when to throw the ball away and stands in the end zone patting the ball and bouncing around on his feet while the pocket collapses all around him. He's done. Go with Duck who won't be much better but just might provide a little spark. We aren't going to the playoffs this year. Maybe we can get a good QB in the second round. Not likely but maybe. That would take a team good at evaluating talent at QB and we don't seem to have that. We have no starting QB on our roster.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

11-25-2019, 08:23 AM

I’m not exactly sure what you are expecting out of this kid. I’ve been studying the work of our offensive line, running backs, and wide receivers and what they as a collective have out on tape this season. Frankly, it’s a piece of crap.

We’ve seen a revolving door at running back, receivers that can’t get open, can’t catch the ball, or fumble if it arrives on time. And this version of our vaunted OL has been sucking it up since Foxboro. This is the worst offensive line we’ve had since the season after Faneca left. It hard to believe Big Al was a pro bowl player last year. His drop off has been very disappointing.

Do honestly expect me to believe that a 38 year old QB might make a difference or even survive this level of ineptitude by the rest of the unit. Oh , that’s right, he didn’t. He’s on IR.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

11-25-2019, 08:56 AM

(11-25-2019, 08:23 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: I’m not exactly sure what you are expecting out of this kid. I’ve been  studying the work of our offensive line, running backs, and wide receivers and what they as a collective have out on tape this season. Frankly, it’s a piece of crap.

We’ve seen a revolving door at running back, receivers that can’t get open,  can’t catch the ball, or  fumble if it arrives on time. And this version of our vaunted OL has been sucking it up since Foxboro. This is the worst offensive line we’ve had since the season after Faneca left. It hard to believe Big Al was a pro bowl player last year. His drop off has been very disappointing.

Do honestly expect me to believe that a 38 year old QB might make a difference or even survive this level of ineptitude by the rest of the unit.  Oh , that’s right, he didn’t. He’s on IR.

I expect him to have good footwork in the pocket.  I expect him to throw the ball with some indication of accuracy.  I expect him to not give up a safety when he can throw the ball away.  But you're right.  He's the best thing we've had at QB in a long time.  He had a wide open guy breaking free behind t he defense.  He had excellent protection.  He missed the throw.  He throws behind reiceivers.  He's horrible.  I'm done with this conversation.  If you think he's serviceable then good on ya.  Enjoy him.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-25-2019, 09:36 AM

(11-25-2019, 08:23 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: I’m not exactly sure what you are expecting out of this kid. I’ve been  studying the work of our offensive line, running backs, and wide receivers and what they as a collective have out on tape this season. Frankly, it’s a piece of crap.

We’ve seen a revolving door at running back, receivers that can’t get open,  can’t catch the ball, or  fumble if it arrives on time. And this version of our vaunted OL has been sucking it up since Foxboro. This is the worst offensive line we’ve had since the season after Faneca left. It hard to believe Big Al was a pro bowl player last year. His drop off has been very disappointing.

I don't expect much. And what's happening right now certainly isn't entirely his fault. 

He does have some responsibility, however. He is not seeing the field, he has feet of stone and he doesn't have a shred of creativity -- something I view as crucial to playing winning football in this league. I acknowledge he doesn't have the pieces around him to excel.

Mason is okay. He's a decent backup, careful with the ball (other than the debacle last week... I don't fault him for the INT on a tipped pass today). But he makes NOTHING happen when the pocket collapses, when the play breaks down, when he gets flushed out, etc. Again... no creativity. Relatively immobile. Not a very strong arm. Not terribly accurate. 

He's not the future. 

(11-25-2019, 08:23 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: Do honestly expect me to believe that a 38 year old QB might make a difference or even survive this level of ineptitude by the rest of the unit.  Oh , that’s right, he didn’t. He’s on IR.

Yes, Ben would make a positive difference. How can we even debate it? He's been a game-changer his entire career. 

And let's be real about Ben's injury, please. It had nothing to do with the "ineptitude" of the players around him. It was a freak thing that just "happened." 

With Ben, we'd be legitimately competing for a playoff spot. Not a real threat for a Super Bowl, obviously, but playoff contenders capable of winning a post-season game. Without Ben? Well, 6-5 is pretty flippin' amazing considering how many gaping holes this team has, honestly. 

A Hall of Famer under center WOULD make us a better team. I boggles my mind that some of you keep claiming it wouldn't make a difference.