The Three Rivers Jinx - Pittsburgh Steelers vs Cleveland Browns
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-26-2019, 07:02 AM

Distant Replay: The Three Rivers Jinx

Update: Think history can't repeat itself? 

The original Three Rivers Jinx was 16 games. Cleveland's current losing streak at Hines Field? 16 games. Laugh

Webster's Dictionary defines the verb "to hex" as "to affect if by an evil spell." In the NFL, hex is defined as "that which happened to the Cleveland Browns whenever they played in Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Stadium." From the facility's opening in 1970 through 1985, the Browns made 16 trips to Pittsburgh... and came home losers 16 times. This great "Distant Replay" clip from 1995 details the "Three Rivers Jinx" and features interviews with past coaches and players. A very entertaining watch which was broadcast before the "original" Browns' final trip the Three Rivers on Monday Night Football in 1995, which ironically, would be their 7th straight defeat in a "new" losing streak in Pittsburgh. Enjoy!

Click here to watch the Jinx video ---> Distant Replay: The Three Rivers Jinx

Nine of the sixteen original "jinx" games are available to watch on this site. Click below to watch a game:

1976 Steelers 31, Browns 14
1977 Steelers 35, Browns 31
1978 Steelers 15, Browns 9
1979 Steelers 33, Browns 30
1980 Steelers 16, Browns 13
1981 Steelers 13, Browns 7
1982 Steelers 37, Browns 21
1983 Steelers 44, Browns 17
1985 Steelers 10, Browns 9
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

11-27-2019, 12:49 AM

Thanks for posting, brings back great memories.

Ah, Riverboat Sam, Brian Yipe (as we called him), Myron, The Emperor. Good times!

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-27-2019, 03:00 AM

Growing up as a Steelers fan in Ohio, the Three Rivers Jinx was one of the greatest things EVER. Throughout my elementary, middle and high school years, it was a weapon that could be wielded very effectively against every mouthy Browns fan I faced, even as the dynasty began to decline. Thankfully,"The Jinx" didn't end until just after I graduated high school, so I never did have to face the crowd after my YEARS of trash talking.  Laugh
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-02-2019, 12:07 PM

In the book Ruanaidh written by Art Rooney Jr, he explains the origin of this jinx. Back around the merger, Art Model borrowed a substantial amount of money from Art Rooney Sr. Art Sr tried to get Model to pay it back on numerous occasions, and was met with one excuse after another and got to the point where Model flat out refused to pay it back.

Finally Mr Rooney had enough. He total Model to pay up or else, never saying what “Else” meant. Art Jr doesn’t, know either but since then , the Brown’s fortunes in the Burgh has been nothing more than an exercise in futility.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-02-2019, 12:15 PM

(12-02-2019, 12:07 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: In the book Ruanaidh written by Art Rooney Jr, he explains the origin of this jinx. Back around the merger, Art Model  borrowed a substantial amount of money from Art Rooney Sr. Art Sr tried to get Model to pay it back on numerous occasions, and was met with one excuse after another and got to the point where Model flat out refused to pay it back.

Finally Mr Rooney had enough. He total Model to pay up or else, never saying what “Else” meant. Art Jr doesn’t, know either but since then , the Brown’s fortunes in the Burgh has been nothing more than an exercise in futility.

Great story! I really need to read that book.  Thumbsup
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-02-2019, 02:58 PM

Think history can't repeat itself? 

The original "Three Rivers Jinx" lasted 16 games

Cleveland's current losing streak at Heinz Field? 16 gamesLaugh
Noll and Cowher teams no more
SmashMouth and Blitzburgh!

12-02-2019, 10:09 PM

(12-02-2019, 02:58 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Think history can't repeat itself? 

The original "Three Rivers Jinx" lasted 16 games

Cleveland's current losing streak at Heinz Field? 16 gamesLaugh

The jinx torch has been passed!
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-05-2019, 01:29 PM

(12-02-2019, 12:15 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 12:07 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: In the book Ruanaidh written by Art Rooney Jr, he explains the origin of this jinx. Back around the merger, Art Model  borrowed a substantial amount of money from Art Rooney Sr. Art Sr tried to get Model to pay it back on numerous occasions, and was met with one excuse after another and got to the point where Model flat out refused to pay it back.

Tim, it’s a great book, kind of a bathroom reader sort. Mostly short vignettes. A lot of background about Art Sr’s life in Pittsburgh,  not related specifically to the Steelers that may not be of much interest to non-Pittsburgers, but the stories about the early days of the NFL, (like our beloved Steelers at one time was known corporately as the Philadelphia Football Club), are priceless. 

Great story! I really need to read that book.  Thumbsup

Tim, it’s a great book, kind of a bathroom reader of  sorts. Mostly short vignettes. A lot of background about Art Sr’s life in Pittsburgh,  not related specifically to the Steelers that may not be of much interest to non-Pittsburgers, but the stories about the early days of the NFL, (like our beloved Steelers at one time was known corporately as the Philadelphia Football Club), are priceless.

I’m pretty sure any Steeler fan will enjoy the part about what went into the building of the 70s dynasty team.

Anyway, I’m fairly certain it’s still in print. I originally bought a signed paperback copy, but lent it to my brother for when he was recovering from shoulder surgery. Well he lost it, but he bought me a hardback signed book.