Buckeyes vs M*ch*gan this weekend!!! (Oh... and Happy Thanksgiving)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-29-2019, 01:11 AM

I've been enjoying my Ohio State Buckeyes' season FAAAR more than the Steelers this year, and Saturday is obviously the game of the year for me.

Some of you may know, the Buckeyes were my "first love" when it comes to football. But what you probably don't know is that it was my MOM who taught me to love football, not my dad. There's some irony in this, as my dad played low-level minor league and semi-pro baseball during the mid-'60s. 

My parents were divorced when I was only a year old and our dad was never really a part of our lives. Sam and Diane on "Cheers" were basically who my parents were; intellectual mom, jock dad... complete opposites, ultimately incompatible. But mom did love sports, especially football.  

My mom was a journalist who started working for the local paper right out of college. She went to Kent State and Ohio State, and she was a HUGE Buckeyes fan. We didn't have a car growing up (mom never got a driver's license or learned to drive), so while mom was a faithful woman, we rarely went to church. In those days, the Buckeyes games would be rebroadcast on Sunday mornings on the local PBS station, which broadcast out of Columbus. So on Sunday mornings, we would get up, snuggle up with mom and watch the Buckeyes replays on our black-and-white TV. 

She knew the rules, understood strategy, and would give her opinions about what the coach (who was Woody Hayes at that time) was doing right or wrong. She was patient and explained things, but she was pretty cynical, too. LOL. She cheered when things went well and made her frustration known when she didn't like what was going on. By age 5, I knew without a doubt I wanted to play football for the Buckeyes. Still do. LOL. 

The Steelers grabbed my attention for good at age 7 (Swannie in Super Bowl X), but I still love the Buckeyes. Some of my best childhood memories are of getting up and watching those Ohio State games with mom. Mom passed away in 2016, but we watched Buckeye games together throughout her entire life, sometimes in person, but more often than not, texting furiously back and forth during the games in her later years. 

She never stopped having a passion for the Buckeyes, and of course, no game was bigger than Ohio State vs. the Team Up North. When mom got sick (breast cancer), we moved her from Ohio up to M*ch*gan with us (where we lived at the time). For 5 years, mom went to U of M hospital in Ann Arbor for her cancer treatments... and during football season, she would wear bright red (scarlet, actually) Ohio State sweatshirts to her treatments. LOL. Oh, the looks she would get!!! People would good-naturedly "boo" her walking through the halls, and she would dish it right back.

It's Thanksgiving, so I obviously feel mom's presence and miss her dearly today. But I'll miss her even more this coming Saturday at noon.

Love you, mom! Thanks for a truly great childhood. You'll be in my heart as l celebrate another glorious Buckeyes win over the angry weasels on Saturday!

[Image: mom.jpg]
Rollers
Hall of Famer

11-29-2019, 02:32 AM

I am deeply sorry for your mom's passing Tim. I almost lost my wife to breast cancer. You have my condolences
Barney
Hall of Famer

11-29-2019, 05:12 AM

Sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope the game goes well.

I'm not much into college but as I understand it the Buckeye's are the best Professional Sports team in Ohio!
Remington Steelers
Special Teamer

11-29-2019, 10:26 PM

What a great memory!! Thanks so much for sharing that with us. I'm a Penn State'r myself but the Buckeyes are my second favorite college football team! Believe me I am rooting for the scarlet and gray tomorrow! Always great when that team up north gets beat.
Noll and Cowher teams no more
SmashMouth and Blitzburgh!

12-02-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:My mom was a journalist who started working for the local paper right out of college. 

Ahhh, you must of gotten your writing skills from your mom.  Thumbsup

Thanks for sharing your story about your mom.
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Tim.  Thumbsup
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-03-2019, 01:43 AM

Buckeyes delivered an A$$ whuppin'!!!  Rockon 56-27, baby! 15 wins in the last 16 games vs. M*ch*gan, and Harbaugh is now 0-8 vs. Ohio State.  Wavehello

It was a beautiful weekend of football.  Pi_bigsmile
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

12-04-2019, 07:35 PM

Congrats on Your win for you and your Mother Tim!

I'm so sorry. I know it's so hard when your missing someone who's gone. They shape you into the person you've become both in life and SPORTS!!!

Thanks for writing and sharing your Story about your Mother Tim.