1979 Steelers 14 vs Cowboys 3
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-04-2017, 11:51 AM

1979 Steelers 14 vs Cowboys 3

For me, this rematch effectively puts to bed all of the Cowboys' whining and moaning about pass interference calls, dropped passes and and bad breaks in Super Bowl XIII as the Steel Curtain simply throttles Roger Staubach and Tony Dorsett while Franco and Stallworth run wild. Features 48-yard TD burst up the middle by Franco Harris (reminiscent of his TD run in Super Bowl XIII, only a LOT longer) which effectively puts this defensive battle out of reach for Pittsburgh in the third quarter. It's really over when L.C. Greenwood knocks Staubach out cold in the 4th quarter with an absolutely VICIOUS hit! Jolly Roger is scrambling around, trying to make something happen, and L.C. just UNLOADS on Staubach with a brutal helmet-to-helmet collision. It's not a cheap shot; Roger is under pressure, trying to scramble out of the grasp of Banaszak and Dunn and spins head first into the oncoming Greenwood, who just blows him up, sending the ball flying one way and Roger's consciousness the other. Staubach is out cold for several minutes on the field and spends the rest of the game on the sidelines, pondering retirement (or maybe just trying to remember his name). Also in this game is PROOF at 45:32 that the NFL targeted Jack Lambert for personal foul calls. Such B.S. Nonetheless, an important and very satisfying victory. 
Unregistered

04-28-2017, 03:14 PM

The thing I took away from this game is that it was surprisingly an early kickoff. I mean, you'd think Dallas/Pittsburgh SB rematch of their Orange Bowl epic would have been a late start (ala their '77 game at Three Rivers).
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-28-2017, 05:22 PM

(04-28-2017, 03:14 PM)Guest Wrote: The thing I took away from this game is that it was surprisingly an early kickoff. I mean, you'd think Dallas/Pittsburgh SB rematch of their Orange Bowl epic would have been a late start (ala their '77 game at Three Rivers).

Great point. No NFL "flex" scheduling in those days. Can't decide if it was a different mindset, an innocent naivete', or just poor marketing and planning. I like to think it was because it was still more about just playing the game than balls-out chasing of ratings and revenue. In '78, they scheduled a Monday Night game (when Monday Night Football still meant something) between the powerhouse Steelers and perennially awful 49ers. WHAT???  Laugh  The result was a prime time @$$ whipping of the 1-12 Niners by the 11-2 Steelers.

Back to this particular game. I love how physical it was. Both defenses were simply outstanding. The Steelers averaged 26 points a game in '79 and the Cowboys averaged 23. This game was a slugfest!
Luther
Special Teamer

06-11-2017, 09:06 AM

The Steelers really intimidated the Cowboys in this game! We did not get this game in Richmond,Va!!! We were in Redskins region! Both teams missed FGs and blew chances to score! But the Steelers were the better team!
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

06-25-2017, 07:47 PM

This was the (somewhat in certain circles) infamous "UFO game" in which the announcers were even taken aback by (3) weird, shiny objects in the sky over the stadium.

Can someone shed any light on this ?

I have been told that they were rotor kites and that the announcers were joking around.

I knew someone that "claimed" they were at this game and that the crowd was momentarily fixated on this flying objects and that they even caused a few false starts but I would rather get a second and even third opinion.

Anyone remember this ? Interesting, if nothing else.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-26-2017, 01:56 AM

(06-25-2017, 07:47 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: This was the (somewhat in certain circles) infamous "UFO game" in which the announcers were even taken aback by (3) weird, shiny objects in the sky over the stadium.

I have been told that they were rotor kites and that the announcers were joking around.

I knew someone that "claimed" they were at this game and that the crowd was momentarily fixated on this flying objects and that they even caused a few false starts but I would rather get a second and even third opinion.

I've never heard of any of this!  Alien  Perhaps the Cowboys are also Andromeda's Team?  Pi_bigsmile
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-26-2017, 03:06 AM

It's on the game broadcast too. Weird looking shit.
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

06-27-2017, 12:31 AM

(06-26-2017, 01:56 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(06-25-2017, 07:47 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: This was the (somewhat in certain circles) infamous "UFO game" in which the announcers were even taken aback by (3) weird, shiny objects in the sky over the stadium.

I've never heard of any of this!  Alien  Perhaps the Cowboys are also Andromeda's Team?  Pi_bigsmile

Even the grey aliens can't stand the Cowboys and wanted to see them lose, lol...
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-27-2017, 02:34 AM

(06-25-2017, 07:47 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: I have been told that they were rotor kites and that the announcers were joking around.

Yep, that's exactly what they are. Rotor kites. You can get a really good look at 'em at 171:06 in the video. And indeed, there are a couple of false starts by Dallas at the time these are overhead. Not sure if it's related, but... could be.

"The UFO game." Great trivia! Thanks for the info.  Thumbsup
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

06-29-2017, 02:01 AM

(06-27-2017, 02:34 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(06-25-2017, 07:47 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: I have been told that they were rotor kites and that the announcers were joking around.

Yep, that's exactly what they are. Rotor kites. You can get a really good look at 'em at 171:06 in the video. And indeed, there are a couple of false starts by Dallas at the time these are overhead. Not sure if it's related, but... could be.

"The UFO game." Great trivia! Thanks for the info.  Thumbsup

Yes, i think that is exactly what they are as well. There is even a website that sells them. Looks just like them too. Still, pretty dang cool...
Luther
Special Teamer

07-21-2017, 09:29 AM

I have been watching NFL Week in reviews on You Tube! Saw the Highlights of this game and Thomas Henderson at games end flashed a shirt saying Hollywood whipped!!! His focus was not on the game!!! It was flashing shirts infront of the CBS cameras during the week 12 game at Washington! They were losing badley and lost badly that day! That ended his playing days pretty much. He was released 2 days later! But his flashing shirts may have started with this lost to the Steelers!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-21-2017, 01:22 PM

(07-21-2017, 09:29 AM)Luther Wrote: I have been watching NFL Week in reviews on You Tube! Saw the Highlights of this game and Thomas Henderson at games end flashed a shirt saying Hollywood whipped!!! His focus was not on the game!!! It was flashing shirts infront of the CBS cameras during the week 12 game at Washington! They were losing badley and lost badly that day! That ended his playing days pretty much. He was released 2 days later! But his flashing shirts may have started with this lost to the Steelers!

Wow, I don't remember the Hollywood Henderson T-shirt thing. Could you please post that YouTube video here, Luther? I'd definitely like to see it.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

07-27-2017, 10:22 AM

He was waiving a towel in Washington that Preston Pearson designed and asked him to do it.

That's what got him cut. I read his first book, first copy, he doesn't pull any punches about his drug use or life in the NFL.