1970 Steelers 21 vs Giants 6 Preseason
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-29-2017, 01:33 AM

1970 Steelers 21 vs Giants 6 Preseason

A preseason matchup fill with firsts: The first Steelers game played at Three Rivers Stadium, Terry Bradshaw's first game in Pittsburgh, Bradshaw's first TD pass as a pro (a picture-perfect 37-yard bomb to Ron Shanklin), Terry's first TV interview with Howard Cosell and the first-ever game by the Monday Night Football crew on ABC. Rookie Bradshaw plays remarkably well (15 of 23, 244 yds, 1 TD, 1 Int) as the Steelers jump out to a 14-0 lead courtesy of a Preston Pearson TD run and the aforementioned Bradshaw bomb. Missing a few plays at the start of the 2nd half, but features some nice pregame and halftime commentary as well as all of the old commercials.
Unregistered

05-30-2017, 04:09 PM

This is an absolute gem. Back when Bradshaw still had hair! lol Thanks for posting this one.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-30-2017, 07:46 PM

(05-30-2017, 04:09 PM)Guest Wrote: This is an absolute gem. Back when Bradshaw still had hair! lol Thanks for posting this one.

Thumbsup  Terry had a great game, too. Flashes of what he would ultimately become as a player. And you can see in his interview with Cosell, the Terry in 1970 isn't "that" far removed from the Terry of today. lol. More hair... more innocent... still free from the damage and baggage of being considered a draft "bust" early on... but in many ways, the same person. 

If you've ever read his book, he talks about the shock of going from preseason to the regular season as a rookie. Terry had a remarkably good preseason, as evidenced in this game. He felt like it was coming easily. And then BAM! The reality of the regular season hit and he was blindsided. Totally unprepared. Not sure if you can blame him, blame his coaches, or if there is even any blame to be assigned since coming in as a rookie QB in those days was generally a steep climb. 

Hard to believe Terry will turn 69 this year.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

05-31-2017, 09:44 AM

I loved watching this game just for the footage of being the first Steelers game at TRS.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-31-2017, 10:06 AM

(05-31-2017, 09:44 AM)Crash Wrote: I loved watching this game just for the footage of being the first Steelers game at TRS.

You know what's really surprising to me? One end zone is black and gold and says Steelers, and the other is blue and says Giants! And this was for a preseason game! Surely, they didn't do that for every game, did they?
Crash
All Pro Veteran

05-31-2017, 11:13 AM

They had all different end zone's in the early years. That end zone for that game said Steelers 70. I remember clips where they had gold hypercloids in the end zone.

I liked the black end zone with gold script. Wish they'd go back to it.

They had Steelers at one end and MIAMI at the other during the 1979 playoffs.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-31-2017, 06:24 PM

(05-31-2017, 11:13 AM)Crash Wrote: They had all different end zone's in the early years.  That end zone for that game said Steelers 70.  I remember clips where they had gold hypercloids in the end zone.  

I liked the black end zone with gold script. Wish they'd go back to it.  

They had Steelers at one end and MIAMI at the other during the 1979 playoffs.

Wow. In all my years of watching football at a ridiculously fanatical level, I somehow never noticed that. Pi_shocked  Mind blown!
Unregistered

05-31-2017, 10:18 PM

Wow that was fun to watch.
Terry did look great at times for a rookie. Hard to believe he struggled and was benched off and on his first couple of seasons.
Frenchy was a hard runner with some nice moves.
D-line was pretty stout with some really good players that disrupted every play.
I saw a shot of LC Greenwood sitting on the bench and thought to myself, boy does Noll and the rest of coaching staff know the type of player he will be in the future.

Keep these oldies but goodies coming Tim. I try to watch at least 3 a week and it's like Christmas as a kid all over again.

Sal
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-01-2017, 05:04 AM

I sent Tim a care package and he should be getting it soon. One of the oldies I sent him was audio DVD's of Jack Fleming and Myron Cope's calls of the first four Super Bowls. The Steelers sold them for one year in their catalog, good thing I grabbed them.

I love watching pre-75 stuff. The first game I can remember watching was SB X at my Grandmother's house at a family gathering in Mt. Lebo. I was five.
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

06-29-2017, 02:26 AM

(05-29-2017, 01:33 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: 1970 Steelers 21 vs Giants 6 Preseason

A preseason matchup fill with firsts: The first Steelers game played at Three Rivers Stadium, Terry Bradshaw's first game in Pittsburgh, Bradshaw's first TD pass as a pro (a picture-perfect 37-yard bomb to Ron Shanklin), Terry's first TV interview with Howard Cosell and the first-ever game by the Monday Night Football crew on ABC. Rookie Bradshaw plays remarkably well (15 of 23, 244 yds, 1 TD, 1 Int) as the Steelers jump out to a 14-0 lead courtesy of a Preston Pearson TD run and the aforementioned Bradshaw bomb. Missing a few plays at the start of the 2nd half, but features some nice pregame and halftime commentary as well as all of the old commercials.

I wonder is this is the lousy pre-season performance that the movie "Monday Night Mayhem" referenced ?

Any of you blokes seen that movie ? If not, watch it. John Turturro doesn't just play Howard Cosell - he BECOMES him.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-29-2017, 02:59 AM

(06-29-2017, 02:26 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: I wonder is this is the lousy pre-season performance that the movie "Monday Night Mayhem" referenced ?

Any of you blokes seen that movie ? If not, watch it. John Turturro doesn't just play Howard Cosell - he BECOMES him.

I've never seen it. In fact, I'm not sure if I've ever heard of it.
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

06-29-2017, 04:47 AM

(06-29-2017, 02:59 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 02:26 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: I wonder is this is the lousy pre-season performance that the movie "Monday Night Mayhem" referenced ?

I've never seen it. In fact, I'm not sure if I've ever heard of it.

Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-30-2017, 02:54 AM

That movie was awesome!
Mincorvati
Unregistered

06-30-2017, 10:13 PM

This site is awesome!!!  I kind of stumbled upon the link for it while I surfing comments on YouTube for another game.  I decided to watch this game first since it was the oldest on the site.  I was 3 years old when this game was played so obviously I did not see it back in the day.  I started watching pro-football in 1973 so I did recognize quite a few of the players from this game.  I was amazed at the quality of the football for a preseason game; far better than today's preseason.  Terry Bradshaw was outstanding in this game.  I imagine that the fans in Pittsburgh were pretty excited about having him on the team.  Joe Greene was a beast.  I focused on him every time he was on the field.  The player that unexpectedly caught my eye was Preston Pearson.  I remember him mostly as a 3rd down pass catching back with the Cowboys.  He really looked good running the ball.  It's unfortunate that the NFL and the networks did not save a lot of broadcasts from back in this era.  I loved the halftime preview of the upcoming MNF schedule. The commercials were a treat as well.  The only one that I remember was the Marlboro Man.  The Ford Pinto commercials were great, especially boasting about getting 25 mpg.  Some things have definitely improved over time.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-01-2017, 01:10 AM

(06-30-2017, 10:13 PM)Mincorvati Wrote: This site is awesome!!!  I kind of stumbled upon the link for it while I surfing comments on YouTube for another game.  I decided to watch this game first since it was the oldest on the site.  I was 3 years old when this game was played so obviously I did not see it back in the day.  I started watching pro-football in 1973 so I did recognize quite a few of the players from this game.  I was amazed at the quality of the football for a preseason game; far better than today's preseason.  Terry Bradshaw was outstanding in this game.  I imagine that the fans in Pittsburgh were pretty excited about having him on the team.  Joe Greene was a beast.  I focused on him every time he was on the field.  The player that unexpectedly caught my eye was Preston Pearson.  I remember him mostly as a 3rd down pass catching back with the Cowboys.  He really looked good running the ball.  It's unfortunate that the NFL and the networks did not save a lot of broadcasts from back in this era.  I loved the halftime preview of the upcoming MNF schedule. The commercials were a treat as well.  The only one that I remember was the Marlboro Man.  The Ford Pinto commercials were great, especially boasting about getting 25 mpg.  Some things have definitely improved over time.

Mincorvati, I sincerely apologize, but I think I mistakenly deleted your account this morning! For whatever reason, this board is under constant siege from Russian bots and I'm constantly cleaning them out. Dozens every day. Unfortunately, you got caught in the daily purge this morning. 

So sorry. I hope you see this and re-register. 

~ Tim
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-06-2017, 11:27 PM

(06-30-2017, 10:13 PM)Mincorvati Wrote: This site is awesome!!!  I kind of stumbled upon the link for it while I surfing comments on YouTube for another game.  I decided to watch this game first since it was the oldest on the site.  I was 3 years old when this game was played so obviously I did not see it back in the day.  I started watching pro-football in 1973 so I did recognize quite a few of the players from this game.  I was amazed at the quality of the football for a preseason game; far better than today's preseason.  Terry Bradshaw was outstanding in this game.  I imagine that the fans in Pittsburgh were pretty excited about having him on the team.  Joe Greene was a beast.  I focused on him every time he was on the field.  The player that unexpectedly caught my eye was Preston Pearson.  I remember him mostly as a 3rd down pass catching back with the Cowboys.  He really looked good running the ball.  It's unfortunate that the NFL and the networks did not save a lot of broadcasts from back in this era.  I loved the halftime preview of the upcoming MNF schedule. The commercials were a treat as well.  The only one that I remember was the Marlboro Man.  The Ford Pinto commercials were great, especially boasting about getting 25 mpg.  Some things have definitely improved over time.

Here is another good one: A MNF game from 1972 with the halftime report from the moon (Apollo 17).

Ok, not really "from the moon" but the astronauts did ask what the score was.

Go to around the 1:36:15 mark.

(And this was the LAST moon mission....and 45 years later....we've STILL not gone back....Pisses me off...)

(That said, as someone who has lived in Central Florida his entire life, those Saturn rockets were, well, you just had to be there. You could FEEL the soundwave of the vibration all the way into Orlando. Seriously.)

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2017, 11:30 PM by thespiritof1976.)
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

08-07-2017, 03:13 AM

Before the game, Cosell interviewed future MNF colleague Fran Tarkenton, who would also be wired for sound throughout the game. (He didn't play because of an injury.)

One thing about these early MNF broadcasts was that they showed the playing of the national anthem, which you never see today. That's not all; the '73 Miami game also has the invocation, which no network would dare show today for fear of alienating the non-Christians in the audience.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2017, 03:13 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

08-07-2017, 11:02 PM

At halfttime, Cosell interviews Bradshaw, Dan Rooney is involved in a Ford Pinto presentation for charity, and Jim McKay narrates a feature on the upcoming fall season for ABC Sports. Also, watch out for Don Adams of Get Smart fame in a cute commercial for a game called (trust me) Skittle Pool.