Used to be that team…
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

12-31-2019, 02:43 AM

Watching the game yesterday I was struck with one overwhelming thought:  our beloved Steelers used to be that team.  You know… the team that could rest a full one-third of its starters, send out the JV, and still go out and impose its will and dominate its opponent in the final regular-season game of a playoff season…

Oh... How the mighty have fallen... Angry 

The sad state of this organization, once a source of great pride, is truly depressing...  All I got...
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-31-2019, 04:00 AM

(12-31-2019, 02:43 AM)bbbooger Wrote: Watching the game yesterday I was struck with one overwhelming thought:  our beloved Steelers used to be that team.  You know… the team that could rest a full one-third of its starters, send out the JV, and still go out and impose its will and dominate its opponent in the final regular-season game of a playoff season…

The sad state of this organization, once a source of great pride, is truly depressing...  All I got...

I feel 'ya. Definitely a frustrating year. Could've been worse, record-wise. At least we stayed in the hunt all year, despite a ton of adversity (mostly in the form of Ben's injury, but also in losing a superstar WR and then battling injuries to other key starters on offense all year).

I flip-flop on this... but the fact that we somehow contended for a playoff spot this year, in spite of all that happened, gives me hope that we're still in position to contend for more next season. Provided we 1) get Ben back, 2) keep the defense together and 3) add/upgrade a few pieces on offense (WR, TE, RB). We need to add one STAR player on offense, probably a veteran WR, to make a legitimate run. It could happen.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

01-01-2020, 07:14 AM

I don't think the Steelers have been that team for the last 2 years. If Ben does not come back at 100% I fear that trend will continue.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-01-2020, 09:38 AM

(12-31-2019, 04:00 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(12-31-2019, 02:43 AM)bbbooger Wrote: Watching the game yesterday I was struck with one overwhelming thought:  our beloved Steelers used to be that team.  You know… the team that could rest a full one-third of its starters, send out the JV, and still go out and impose its will and dominate its opponent in the final regular-season game of a playoff season…

I feel 'ya. Definitely a frustrating year. Could've been worse, record-wise. At least we stayed in the hunt all year, despite a ton of adversity (mostly in the form of Ben's injury, but also in losing a superstar WR and then battling injuries to other key starters on offense all year).

I flip-flop on this... but the fact that we somehow contended for a playoff spot this year, in spite of all that happened, gives me hope that we're still in position to contend for more next season. Provided we 1) get Ben back, 2) keep the defense together and 3) add/upgrade a few pieces on offense (WR, TE, RB). We need to add one STAR player on offense, probably a veteran WR, to make a legitimate run. It could happen.

so what do we do about edmumunds and Barron?  Two pieces that have to change but we need to spend on offense this year.   We have zero cap space as usual for the Steelers so I'm not sure how we plug all the holes
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-03-2020, 05:34 AM

I remember around 2003 or so the Steelers JV knocked the tar out of the Buff Bills. Harrison, FWP, and other bench warmers gave us a glimpse of things to come.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]