Mason's injury very serious
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-02-2020, 11:51 PM

Glad he is fine, no idea it was this serious. Tomlin announced he is #2 QB starting next camp. 

Mason Rudolph Offers Further Details Of Injury That Left Doctors Worried About Puncturing His Aorta

When the Pittsburgh Steelers traded up a few spots in the third round of the 2018 NFL Draft to select a quarterback when they did not need one, they did so with the understanding that they would be adding a talent to their roster that they assessed as having the capability of being a future starter.

That would be Mason Rudolph out of Oklahoma State, and after redshirting his rookie season behind Joshua Dobbs, he won the backup job this year, and it turned out to be the best possible scenario for playing time for a Steelers backup in many years. Starter Ben Roethlisberger went down in the first half of the second game of the season, so that left 14 and a half games for the depth to finish out.

Rudolph would ultimately start eight of those games, going 5-3, but he was knocked out three times along the way—twice to injury, once to performance. The third—the second injury—proved to be the most concerning. While it was largely brushed off initially, even by himself, he added further details as told to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

They were worried it would puncture my aorta”, he said of the doctors who evaluated him after the game, finding himself in the hospital undergoing a procedure after replacing a benched Devlin Hodges in the second quarter of the Week 16 game against the New York Jets. “It was very scary”.

The second-year pro actually probably injured his shoulder multiple times in the game, but the final came one play after Maurkice Pouncey was injured. On the next snap, he got tangled with backup center B.J. Finney, causing him to eat a handoff, upon which he was tackled hard by multiple defenders and clearly winced in significant pain.

“I thought it was a bad AC sprain. I played a couple more plays and throws with it”, he said. “Adrenaline was still pumping. Once I came over to the sideline it stiffened up and I was like, ‘I can’t even move my left arm or left side of my body’. It was pretty painful”.

Prior to being forced out due to the injury, Rudolph completed 14 of 20 pass attempts in the game for 129 yards with one touchdown. He led the team to 10 points in less than a half of play, pulling even with the Jets at the time after entering a 10-0 game following a second interception from Hodges.

“I thought I was right back in it there,”, he said of seeing his first action after several weeks since his original benching due to performance, with Hodges starting the subsequent four games. “I was excited to get another chance and win the game and lead us to the playoffs and it happened again”.

Head coach Mike Tomlin already told reporters yesterday during his press conference that he is proceeding into the offseason with Rudolph as the backup to Ben Roethlisberger. Currently, both of them are recovering from injuries that placed them on the Reserve/Injured List and neither will be able to throw passes at least in the early portions of the offseason.

Read more: https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/mason-...his-aorta/

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-03-2020, 03:51 AM

Don't count this kid out just yet. He has moxie.

2019 was a tough but rewarding year in the life of Mason Rudolph, the two-year veteran quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers, who started eight games for the team during the regular season and posted a record of 5-3—the only one of three quarterbacks to start for the team this past season to do so.

It’s fair to say that he had his ups and downs as a quarterback, playing a key role in a midseason 7-1 stretch before being benched. He also took a beating. He missed Week Six with a concussion after taking an ugly hit to the head against the Baltimore Ravens. He ended the year with a trip to the hospital for a procedure designed to prevent his aorta from being punctured due to an injury he suffered in Week 16.

In between, he was assaulted with his own helmet.

But along the way, he won some games, he tossed 13 touchdowns, and he made some significant plays. Most importantly, he learned a lot, about the game, about himself, and about what it takes to play at a high level in the NFL. He shared his thoughts on Instagram recently:

2019 brought great opportunity, moments of elation, and disappointment. That is life. While the season did not end the way I envisioned, the experience, the scars, the moments, have allowed me to know. To know that I can get to where we want to go. To be at ones best, when the best is needed. There are moments, plays, and decisions you’d like to have back— but life is not a dress rehearsal. What I love best about the game of football and the NFL is that you have to go prove it every day. Prove you belong. The minute you think you have it figured out, the game will humble you. There is no secret, it is in the dirt.

Now, he speaks from experience. There was perhaps a time in which he felt he figured things out, while they were winning, only to learn that he was sorely mistaken. Even the great ones continue to learn over the length of their entire careers.

Rudolph was originally taken by the Steelers in the third round of the 2018 NFL Draft. They viewed him as in the same class as those quarterbacks taken in the first round that year. Overall, so far it’s hard to say that isn’t the case, outside of Lamar Jackson.

He started eight games, of course, because of the injury suffered by Ben Roethlisberger. He went down in Week Two with a season-ending elbow issue that required surgery, and he is still perhaps months out from throwing a football. Rudolph is currently rehabbing from his own injury.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-03-2020, 04:09 AM

he can take his moxie with him out the door thanks. He can't throw the ball. No arm strength. none. So load up that moxie along with your shoes and we'll see you later
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-03-2020, 04:36 AM

Did you see his pass to Johnson before he was injured? Hit him in stride in the end-zone. H has a great long ball, Fichtner just had him dink and dunk all year. No running game to help him or duck all year. Piss poor line play for the most part.

Didn't you used to say Ben couldn't throw deep?

Next - Minkah, #39!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-03-2020, 04:38 AM

I'm okay with Rudolph as a backup. I'd rather have someone better, though. It wouldn't take much. 

He isn't starter material, IMO, and he isn't capable of leading a team to the Super Bowl. But coming off the bench, he's better than Landry Jones. That's about the extent of my praise for Rudolph at this point.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-03-2020, 05:00 AM

I disagree, too early in his career to tell. Plus, he had no help or very little at the skill positions. Couple that with one of the worst, if not the worst offensive co-ordinator I've ever seen. The kid had moxie, I'm just not ready to throw in the towel on him yet. Kid had a rough year, no doubt.

Next - Minkah, #39!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-03-2020, 06:21 AM

(01-03-2020, 05:00 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: I disagree, too early in his career to tell. Plus, he had no help or very little at the skill positions. Couple that with one of the worst, if not the worst offensive co-ordinator I've ever seen. The kid had moxie, I'm just not ready to throw in the towel on him yet. Kid had a rough year, no doubt.

Objectively speaking, you're probably right in terms of it being too early to "really" know what Rudolph will become. But even though he largely exceeded my expectations this season, I saw enough to believe he isn't (and never will be) a viable long-term solution as a starter. 

I also disagree that Fichtner is the worst OC we've had. The jury is still out for me. I definitely prefer him to Todd Haley. I also prefer him to Ray Sherman, Kevin Gilbride, Ron Erhardt... and maybe Bruce Arians, honestly. 

We'll see. He didn't have much to work with this year.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

01-03-2020, 08:45 AM

Fichtner over RON ERHARDT, Tim? Is that a goddamn joke or what? Erhardt's offense led us to the Super Bowl. You know, that game that every team is supposedly trying to get to. Or is your hatred of Neil O'Donnell (who, by the way, is the third best quarterback in Steeler history behind Bradshaw and Ben, and it's not a close race) so intense that you choose to believe that that run was all defense? Go back and watch the games; once it hit its stride in '94 and '95, that offense was better than the one that won the first two Super Bowls, and that's with all of the Hall of Famers in '74 and '75. As great as that offense was, it was one-dimensional (Franco) in '74 and one and-a-half dimensional in '75, when Swann had emerged but Stallworth was still a backup and none of the other receivers did a whole lot. Don't forget the two Super Bowls Erhardt won with the Giants; they're the reason Cowher hired him in the first place.

As for Mason, let's hope he gets well, because I don't think that the Steelers have the money for the veteran backup everyone seems to be clamoring for, nor do they feel the need for one. Coaches value practices and classroom work about as highly as game performance, which fans can't because we don't see them for the most part. In other words, if Mason's picking up the offense in meetings and practicing well when he gets the chance, he'll get a whole lot more chances to prove himself than his game performance might indicate, especially since this year was such a mess.

That's why Paxton Lynch never got a shot; he looked awful in practice at first from what I've heard, and couldn't grasp the offensive concepts (such as they were) in practice. Some say he improved later, but by then it was too late; they were determined to succeed or fail with Mason and Duck no matter what, and "He can't possibly be any worse" and "What are we gonna do, lose?" weren't good enough reasons to change their minds, not to mention "He was a first-round pick for Denver".

I'm not even sure Duck's in all that much trouble. He has to improve, but he showed just enough in his good performances that it would be a shame to let him go. If someone like an Andy Dalton comes on the market and wants to play here, that's a different story, but I can't think of any veterans who were once starters (Dalton, Marcus Mariota, and the like) who would want to come here and watch Ben for seventeen weeks when they could resign with their old teams and do the same thing. As for the Brian Hoyers and the Matt Moores, they're already under contract and presumably going nowhere. Who else is left that isn't either ancient or just as much of a question mark as the guys we already have?
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 08:54 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-03-2020, 12:46 PM

(01-03-2020, 08:45 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Fichtner over RON ERHARDT, Tim? Is that a goddamn joke or what? Erhardt's offense led us to the Super Bowl. You know, that game that every team is supposedly trying to get to. Or is your hatred of Neil O'Donnell (who, by the way, is the third best quarterback in Steeler history behind Bradshaw and Ben, and it's not a close race) so intense that you choose to believe that that run was all defense? Go back and watch the games; once it hit its stride in '94 and '95, that offense was better than the one that won the first two Super Bowls, and that's with all of the Hall of Famers in '74 and '75. As great as that offense was, it was one-dimensional (Franco) in '74 and one and-a-half dimensional in '75, when Swann had emerged but Stallworth was still a backup and none of the other receivers did a whole lot. Don't forget the two Super Bowls Erhardt won with the Giants; they're the reason Cowher hired him in the first place.

Get your facts straight... and stop using the Lord's name in vain. 

Erhardt didn't get us to that Super Bowl. By the end of the '95 season, he was OC in title only

Chan Gailey is who got us there with his innovative 5-wide packages and his creation of SLASH. Erhardt was "3 yards and a cloud of dust." LAME. Thumbdown The Giants won in spite of Erhardt, not because of him. 

BTW, Chan Gailey is also the guy who, once promoted to OC after Erhardt was fired, somehow made Mike Tomczak look like a reasonable option (???) at starting QB in '96 and enabled Kordell flippin' Stewart to have amazing success in his first year as a starter in '97 to take us to an AFC Championship. Once Gailey left for Dallas, Kordell crashed and burned. Worst thing that ever happened to him.

Beyond that, my stance isn't that Fichnter is better/worse than anybody; it's that the jury is still out with him. Maybe he sucks, maybe he doesn't. Too soon to know. What I do know is that during his one year at OC with Ben at QB, Ben led the league in passing, threw a career high for TDs and stayed relatively clean. Offense wasn't our problem in 2018... defense was.

BTW, claiming the Steelers had "1/2" a passing attack in '75 is ridiculous. Laugh Bradshaw was a Pro Bowler and one of the highest-rated passers in the league (also among the highest for TD % and lowest for INT %). Beyond the stats, that was a team who threw for threat and the trio of Swann, Frank Lewis and Stallworth was terrifying

(01-03-2020, 08:45 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: As for Mason, let's hope he gets well, because I don't think that the Steelers have the money for the veteran backup everyone seems to be clamoring for, nor do they feel the need for one. Coaches value practices and classroom work about as highly as game performance, which fans can't because we don't see them for the most part. In other words, if Mason's picking up the offense in meetings and practicing well when he gets the chance, he'll get a whole lot more chances to prove himself than his game performance might indicate, especially since this year was such a mess. 

Again, I'm okay with Mason as the #2 QB. He's reasonably solid in that role, and this year allowed for a lot of growth.

He does not, however, have what it takes to be a quality starter long-term. He has an average long ball, at best (definitely not "great") and he has some of the worst footwork and pocket presence I've ever seen in a pro player. So if/when Ben hangs up the cleats, my hope is that the team doesn't waste time hoping Rudolph grow into it. He won't. 

(01-03-2020, 08:45 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: That's why Paxton Lynch never got a shot; he looked awful in practice at first from what I've heard, and couldn't grasp the offensive concepts (such as they were) in practice. Some say he improved later, but by then it was too late; they were determined to succeed or fail with Mason and Duck no matter what, and "He can't possibly be any worse" and "What are we gonna do, lose?" weren't good enough reasons to change their minds, not to mention "He was a first-round pick for Denver".

Agreed, Lynch wasn't likely to make a positive difference. 

(01-03-2020, 08:45 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: I'm not even sure Duck's in all that much trouble. He has to improve, but he showed just enough  in his good performances that it would be a shame to let him go. If someone like an Andy Dalton comes on the market and wants to play here, that's a different story, but I can't think of any veterans who were once starters (Dalton, Marcus Mariota, and the like) who would want to come here and watch Ben for seventeen weeks when they could resign with their old teams and do the same thing. As for the Brian Hoyers and the Matt Moores, they're already under contract and presumably going nowhere. Who else is left that isn't either ancient or just as much of a question mark as the guys we already have?

Duck is awful. 

Look, I enjoyed his story, his heart and his little flash in the pan for a few games this year. He massively overachieved... for an undrafted free agent QB. But in the end, he was who we thought he was (with apologies to Denny Green). Guts out the wazoo... but a weak arm, slow reflexes, poor decision-making, poor accuracy... shall I go on?

He deserves a shot in training camp simply for the fire, however brief, he brought to the game this season. But I expect him to be beaten out in camp by... well... just about anybody. He's not NFL caliber. 

Would LOVE to have Mariota as a backup. Dalton would be fine as a backup for a couple of years, too. Both would likely be better than Rudolph. Not sure what kind of money they'll demand, so it's probably not a realistic possibility. But... if I was either one of those guys, I'd at least consider Pittsburgh. Because if, heaven forbid, Ben isn't able to come back, they'd be in great position with a really solid team and a class NFL organization.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

01-03-2020, 01:14 PM

First of all, I don't care who you think was responsible for what; Ron Erhardt had the title of offensive coordinator, so he gets the credit. Simple as that.

Second. Stallworth made a big play or two in '75, but he wouldn't be terrifying for another three years. Frankie Lewis was nice, but Jim Smith was better, and he didn't come along until '77 and didn't play a lot until '79 and '80, when Swann and Stallworth were hurt, each in their turn. Plus, Bradshaw was improving, but he wasn't what he'd be in a couple of years, either,. As for "three yard and a cloud of dust", the Steelers won their firstSuper Bowls based on an offense like that, and that's the kind of offense Cowher wanted, hence why Erhardt was hired.

Last but not least, with the way you and others swear around here on gameday you have no right whatsoever, even as the owner of this board, to tell me about using the Lord's name in vain. NONE. I've seen every curse word in the book up to and including "motherfucker" used both with and without filter by you and your friends, so take your lectures and shove them up your gluteus maximus. And you still haven't done anything about Sandfan using racist terms ("boy") to refer to Mike Tomlin earlier in the year either, so you have no moral authority with me whatsoever.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 01:16 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-03-2020, 03:13 PM

(01-03-2020, 01:14 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: First of all, I don't care who you think was responsible for what; Ron Erhardt had the title of offensive coordinator, so he gets the credit. Simple as that.

Second. Stallworth made a big play or two in '75, but he wouldn't be terrifying for another three years. Frankie Lewis was nice, but Jim Smith was better, and he didn't come along until '77 and didn't  play a lot until '79 and '80, when Swann and Stallworth were hurt, each in their turn. Plus, Bradshaw was improving, but he wasn't what he'd be in a couple of years, either,. As for "three yard and a cloud of dust", the Steelers won their firstSuper Bowls based on an offense like that, and that's the kind of offense Cowher wanted, hence why Erhardt was hired.

Last but not least, with the way you and others swear around here on gameday you have no right whatsoever, even as the owner of this board,  to tell me about using the Lord's name in vain. NONE. I've seen every curse word in the book up to and including "motherfucker" used both with and without filter by you and your friends, so take your lectures and shove them up your gluteus maximus. And you still haven't done anything about Sandfan using racist terms ("boy") to refer to Mike Tomlin earlier in the year either, so you have no moral authority with me whatsoever.

Fine. You're banned, motherf#$%er.  Laugh

Ron Erhardt was a bum. He gets credit... for holding us back. Chan Gailey was a HUUUGE improvement. Perhaps the best OC we've ever had, although I'd put Ken Whisenhunt right up there. 

As for winning Super Bowls with the running game, 1974 wasn't 1994. Erhardt was the living, breathing embodiment of failure to adapt. He was a terrible OC. You wanna give him a reach-around? Fine. But I stand by my statements... and I'm right. Wavehello

Regarding Jim Smith vs. Frank Lewis, did you ever see Lewis play? Smith was solid, but he wasn't better than Lewis. Lewis was so damn smooth, and the trade with Buffalo was one of the worst deals in Steelers history. We literally got NOTHING for the guy, because the player we traded for failed his physical. To this day, I don't understand how that was allowed to happen. Wish we could've kept Lewis as the passing rules started to open up, because he kicked ass in Buffalo. I would've taken Lewis over Smith any day of the week.
Krunch
Hall of Famer

01-04-2020, 01:04 AM

Good on ya' Tim.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-04-2020, 01:16 AM

I dunno, my memory isn't that good but our last 3 games we scored 10 points each game. That has to be on Fitchner.

If it's Ben making the difference that is proving my point more. Fitchner has been riding Ben's coat-tails.

I dunno, I see Mason come in against the Jets and hit Johnson in stride in the end-zone on a beautiful pass and catch. The it's back to dink-dank-dunk. Rudolph's forte is the deep ball. For whatever reason the offensive game-plan this year was dink-dank-dunk and the Wildcat. I couldn't even bare to watch the last game but from what I read the offense was putrid against the rats JV team.

I'd like to see Fitchner go back to a QB coach and we hire a bonfide OC. Probably wont happen.

Next - Minkah, #39!