1972 AFC Championship Steelers 17 vs Dolphins 21 AP Footage
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-29-2017, 10:36 AM

1972 AFC Championship Steelers 17 vs Dolphins 21 AP Footage

Not the full game, unfortunately, but contains 4-1/2 minutes of short clips of key plays and scoring from footage of the game shot from the "other side" of the field that was distributed by the Associated Press along with another 1-1/2 minutes of actual broadcast footage of key plays in black and white. Short, but an interesting view. Poor special teams play and a pair of horrific Terry Bradshaw picks cost the Steelers a game might have otherwise won. 
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

05-29-2017, 05:26 PM

Tim,

Would you be opposed to hosting some radio broadcasts of big games on the site? I can think of five playoff games where the TV broadcast isn't available, but the radio broadcast is:

This game (with Fleming and Cope on the call, yet)
The Immaculate Reception (Mutual broadcast, taken from Armed Forces Radio, featuring an interview with Art Rooney)

1974 AFC Divisional Playoff vs. Buffalo (Mutual broadcast with Don Criqui)
1975 AFC Divisional Playoff vs. Baltimore (Mutual/Armed Forces Radio, again with Criq)
1976 AFC Divisional Playoff at Baltimore (Mutual again, with the Notre Dame national announce crew)

I got my copies of these games from the fellow I told you about, Aaron Mintz. He might also be able to help with some games involving other teams, if you ever get around to developing that section.

This was a great find too. Keep 'em coming!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-29-2017, 06:37 PM

(05-29-2017, 05:26 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Tim,

Would you be opposed to hosting some radio broadcasts of big games on the site? I can think of five playoff games where the TV broadcast isn't available, but the radio broadcast is:

This game (with Fleming and Cope on the call, yet)
The Immaculate Reception (Mutual broadcast, taken from Armed Forces Radio, featuring an interview with Art Rooney)

1974 AFC Divisional Playoff vs. Buffalo (Mutual broadcast with Don Criqui)
1975 AFC Divisional Playoff vs. Baltimore (Mutual/Armed Forces Radio, again with Criq)
1976 AFC Divisional Playoff at Baltimore (Mutual again, with the Notre Dame national announce crew)

I got my copies of these games from the fellow I told you about, Aaron Mintz. He might also be able to help with some games involving other teams, if you ever get around to developing that section.

This was a great find too. Keep 'em coming!

I'm totally in favor of adding audio. Somewhere in a box, I actually have every single one of the games you mentioned on cassette tapes, as well as the 1975 home game vs. Cinci (35-14, Steelers clinch the division) and the '78 Saints game. I just haven't been able to locate them yet. Eventually, I'll find them. 

I remember '76 Baltimore game features Art Donovan adding color commentary. Priceless stuff, very entertaining! And a small single-passenger plane actually crashes into the stadium at the end!

Anyway, my other hope is that someone who already has them (and maybe has even gone to the trouble to converting them to digital) will share them with the site. We'll see. We've received several upgrades and a few new additions from contributors. "Crash" is sending a box of all kinds of more "modern era" goodies next week, the most important of which to me is the '93 game vs New Orleans. My tape was destroyed, and it contains perhaps the finest quarter of football of Rod Woodson's (or any other DB's) career. Can't wait to dig in!
Unregistered

05-30-2017, 09:02 PM

At the 1:25 mark I had to do a double take on the play and then look up the receiver ( Al Young#31) who caught the quick pass from Bradshaw for a td. I know Donnie Shell was still two years away from being part of the team but at first glance I thought it was him. LOL

Footage of this is spectacular. To bad most of your old games did not have the same quality.

Sal
Unregistered

05-31-2017, 08:50 AM

Tim,

Would you please post the 1994 Miami Dolphins vs Steelers Game?  Also, if possible it would be awesome to see the 1997 Denver Broncos Regular Season Game.  It was great watching Marino and Elway in person versus the Steelers.

Paul
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-31-2017, 09:16 AM

(05-31-2017, 08:50 AM)Guest Wrote: Tim,

Would you please post the 1994 Miami Dolphins vs Steelers Game?  Also, if possible it would be awesome to see the 1997 Denver Broncos Regular Season Game.  It was great watching Marino and Elway in person versus the Steelers.

Paul

Yes! I'll upload it tonight and it will be waiting for you sometime tomorrow. The quality is so-so (my original was accidentally stepped on) and it's a copy of a copy, but still watchable and VERY entertaining!
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

07-05-2017, 10:52 AM

Tim,

On your list of games under 1970-1977, you have this game listed for a second time as "coming soon". I know that the full video doesn't exist; we have about as much as is available right here. So what exactly are we talking about? It has to be either the Steeler radio call, the Miami radio call (which I believe featured Larry King, who was working for the Fins' flagship station at the time), or the NBC national call (Charlie Jones and George Ratterman, if memory serves).
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-05-2017, 12:22 PM

(07-05-2017, 10:52 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Tim,

On your list of games under 1970-1977, you have this game listed for a second time as "coming soon". I know that the full video doesn't exist; we have about as much as is available right here. So what exactly are we talking about? It has to be either the Steeler radio call, the Miami radio call (which I believe featured Larry King, who was working for the Fins' flagship station at the time), or the NBC national call (Charlie Jones and George Ratterman, if memory serves).

Good eye. Turns out, it's the radio call. I bought it believing it was the actual game footage because that's how it was presented. Unfortunately, it's just the radio broadcast with some video footage. I forgot about the "coming soon" teaser... I need to go back and update the list.