1972 Steelers 23 vs Vikings 10
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-30-2017, 02:38 AM

1972 Steelers 23 vs Vikings 10

A Frenchy Fuqua fumble at the Steeler 20 sets the Vikings up with great field position, but Minnesota can't move the ball and settles for a FG. The Vikings drive to the Steeler 7 on the next series, but on 4th and a foot, the fledgling Steel Curtain stops RB Bill Brown cold for no gain. A Minnesota fumble deep in their own territory sets up a perfectly blocked sweep right for a 12-yard Franco Harris score and a 7-3 Pittsburgh lead. Then start the special teams foibles for Minnesota. Not once but twice, the Vikings line up to kick virtually automatic FGs (12 and 14 yards) and holder Paul Krause fumbles the snap. The two teams are locked in a 10-10 tie with about eight minutes remaining in the game when Franco (17 carries, 128 yds, 1 TD) takes a middle draw, cuts back to the right to avoid the rush and gallops around right end for 61 yards before being knocked out of hounds at the 1-yard line. A play later, Terry Bradshaw dives over the goal line and a QB sneak for the winning TD. 
Unregistered

06-06-2017, 11:32 AM

A VERY interesting matchup of two teams that played a big role in the NFL decade of the 70s.

It's also fascinating to watch considering where these teams were and who wasn't on the teams yet.

Minnesota- only time they missed the playoffs from 1968-1978, Tarkenton's first year back in Minnesota after the trade with NYG.

Pittsburgh was beginning their run of greatness. Franco was beginning his great run. This was the year the Steelers began their long run as a football behemoth with staying power.

The roster makeup was also a bit interesting. Swann/Stallworth/Lambert were still in college (Two years before that iconic 1974 PIT draft class) and it was also a year before MIN drafted Chuck Foreman.)

Fun matchup of teams that were building toward their peak in future years.
Unregistered

06-20-2017, 12:23 PM

The fact that the Steelers were a Super Bowl contender before the arrival of Swann, Stallworth, Lambert and Webster along with a still raw Bradshaw at QB illustrates just how scary good this team was in 75-76.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-20-2017, 02:18 PM

(06-20-2017, 12:23 PM)Guest Wrote: The fact that the Steelers were a Super Bowl contender before the arrival of Swann, Stallworth, Lambert and Webster along with a still raw Bradshaw at QB illustrates just how scary good this team was in 75-76.

Scary good is right! I wish more games were available from '75-'76.
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

06-25-2017, 04:48 PM

Have you looked at Aaron Mintz's site yet, Tim? His games are audio, not video, but he has the Buffalo game from '75 where O.J. ran wild on the Steel Curtain (with the audio taken from Curt Gowdy's call for NBC), plus about half the '74 season with Fleming and Cope on the call, including the epic tie in Denver where Joe Gilliam threw on just about every play, the opening game against Baltimore which features Swann's first-ever touchdown catch, and the game where they clinched the AFC Central against the Pats in Foxborough. There are also games from '72, '73, and '76, in addition to the TV preseason games I told you about from '78 and '79. Trust me, it's worth your time.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-27-2017, 05:51 PM

(06-25-2017, 04:48 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Have you looked at Aaron Mintz's site yet, Tim? His games are audio, not video, but he has the Buffalo game from '75 where O.J. ran wild on the Steel Curtain (with the audio taken from Curt Gowdy's call for NBC), plus about half the '74 season with Fleming and Cope on the call, including the epic tie in Denver where Joe Gilliam threw on just about every play, the opening game against Baltimore which features Swann's first-ever touchdown catch, and the game where they clinched the AFC Central against the Pats in Foxborough. There are also games from '72, '73, and '76, in addition to the TV preseason games I told you about from '78 and '79. Trust me, it's worth your time.

Yes, I've checked out his site and I do have plans to contact him. I really appreciate the tip,,, there;s definitely some interesting stuff there!  Thumbsup