1979 AFC Playoffs Steelers 34 vs Dolphins 14
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-04-2017, 11:58 AM

1979 AFC Playoffs Steelers 34 vs Dolphins 14

Seemingly unable to make a wrong move, the Steelers pour it on early, smashing Griese and Csonka and running roughshod over the vaunted Miami defense. Terry Bradshaw (21 of 31, 230 yards, 2 TDs) engineers TD drives on Pittsburgh's first 3 possessions, jumping out to an effortless 20-0 lead with TD passes to Swann and Stallworth while controlling the ball for a staggering 13 minutes of the first quarter. The Steel Curtain does it's part by limiting Miami to just 25 yards rushing in 22 attempts on the day (a pitiful 1.1 yard average per rush). While the Steelers are able to do whatever they want, whenever they want, the overmatched Dolphins never come close to being in this game as Don Shula suffers his worst playoff defeat. 
Unregistered

05-27-2017, 10:42 AM

That 20-0 1st quarter might have been the finest quarter the Steelers played in the 1978-1979 SB seasons at Three Rivers Stadium.

Miami was no slouch that season (I mean, who had them winning the AFC East , but they were in over their heads at Three Rivers on this day.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-27-2017, 11:45 AM

(05-27-2017, 10:42 AM)Guest Wrote: That 20-0 1st quarter might have been the finest quarter the Steelers played in the 1978-1979 SB seasons at Three Rivers Stadium.

Miami was no slouch that season (I mean, who had them winning the AFC East , but they were in over their heads at Three Rivers on this day.

Hard to argue your point. They were near-perfect in all three phases of the game. It just looked so easy!
Bobcat29
Special Teamer

08-13-2017, 12:24 AM

Shula was a great coach but was a cry baby. Hated the Steelers changed the passing rules in hopes of stopping them. Glad that he got his butt kicked.
James Tressler
Rookie

11-25-2017, 12:28 AM

Steelers an absolute football masterpiece! On that second TD, Stallworth left about 5 Miami defenders in the dust. And made it look so easy. Next series, Bradshaw "calmly" sidesteps a Miami blitz, and casually finds Swann wide open in the end zone. Touch down! I think the fact that Houston knocked off San Diego the day before really was a load off Pittsburgh's mind. Here they look so relaxed and focused. Almost as if they know, they've got it now!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-27-2017, 12:39 AM

(11-25-2017, 12:28 AM)James Tressler Wrote: Steelers an absolute football masterpiece! 

Love it. Great moment when Don Criqui says that.  Thumbsup

(11-25-2017, 12:28 AM)James Tressler Wrote: On that second TD, Stallworth left about 5 Miami defenders in the dust. And made it look so easy. Next series, Bradshaw "calmly" sidesteps a Miami blitz, and casually finds Swann wide open in the end zone. Touch down! 

Exactly right. The Steelers were definitely in "the zone" during that first quarter. Miami's TD in the 3rd quarter was complete BS, too. The only reason they scored is because the refs blew the call when claimed the punt a Steelers player. Replay clearly shows the ball didn't hit anybody and it should've been Pittsburgh's ball. Instead, Miami gets the ball at the Pittsburgh 11-yard line. 

The '79 playoffs were the "poster child" for why the NFL needed instant replay.

(11-25-2017, 12:28 AM)James Tressler Wrote: I think the fact that Houston knocked off San Diego the day before really was a load off Pittsburgh's mind. Here they look so relaxed and focused. Almost as if they know, they've got it now!

Beyond being glad they now owned homefield throughout the playoffs, I doubt Houston beating San Diego had much (if any) impact on the Steelers. First, Houston was a formidable opponent and it's always difficult to play a team 3 times in one season. But I also don't think there was any "nervousness" about a potential rematch with San Diego. If anything, I suspect the Steelers were looking forward to revenge if the opportunity presented itself. The Steelers always managed to elevate their game in the postseason; the Chargers always wilted. 

And as ugly as the regular season game in San Diego had been, it was all about Pittsburgh's 8 turnovers, not a great performance by the Chargers. Fouts did not have a good game at all (11 of 24, 137 yds, 2 TD but also 2 Int). Bradshaw had a 5-Int meltdown as he would sometimes do during the regular season. But Terry was definitely not prone to post-season meltdowns. Quite the opposite.

It's like Joe Green said: “The 16 regular season games are for the fans. The playoffs are for us.”