1981 Steelers 20 at Oilers 21
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-03-2020, 01:54 AM

1981 Steelers 20 at Oilers 21

A dismal end to a disappointing season. The Bradshaw-less Steelers lose their 3rd straight, blowing a 4th quarter lead on a Dave Casper's 3rd TD catch of the game with 1:51 remaining, then coughing up any chance of a comeback on a Harris fumble at midfield with a minute to play. The Steelers hold Earl Campbell to just 24 yds on 13 carries, but give up 377 yds passing and 3 TDs to Gifford Nielsen. Due to network technical difficulties, coverage breaks away to Bengals/Falcons game for several minutes in the first half.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

05-03-2020, 01:28 PM

When you watch this game, you'll note that the first quarter is commercial-free. That was no accident; there's a rule that I believe is still on the books today which says that the network showing a doubleheader (in this case, NBC) can't run any commercials in their late games until all of the early games have finished. The Broncos-Bears game was still going on throughout the entire first quarter of the Steelers-Oilers game, and that's why there was a wide shot of the Astrodome and plenty of announcer banter between possessions. I'm not entirely sure whether Broncos-Bears was the last early game to finish, but if it was we should be seeing commercials soon.

I wonder how often they took breaks during the second quarter in order to make up for the breaks they lost earlier. Probably about every other play!
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2020, 01:31 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-03-2020, 10:49 PM

(05-03-2020, 01:28 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: When you watch this game, you'll note that the first quarter is commercial-free. That was no accident; there's a rule that I believe is still on the books today which says that the network showing a doubleheader (in this case, NBC) can't run any commercials in their late games until all of the early games have finished. The Broncos-Bears game was still going on throughout the entire first quarter of the Steelers-Oilers game, and that's why there was a wide shot of the Astrodome and plenty of announcer banter between possessions. I'm not entirely sure whether Broncos-Bears was the last early game to finish, but if it was we should be seeing commercials soon.

I wonder how often they took breaks during the second quarter in order to make up for the breaks they lost earlier. Probably about every other play!

Interesting stuff, Garrett. I never knew such a rule existed.  Thumbsup
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

05-04-2020, 01:57 AM

It's not something they talk about much, Tim. I don't fully understand the ins and outs of it myself, and it's not noticeable most weeks because the vast majority of early games finish well before the late games have played a whole quarter. I think I've heard of a case or two that's gone even longer, with commercials being delayed into the middle of the second quarter because an early game went deep into overtime, but the Broncos-Bears game wasn't one of those; the Bears won 35-24. There must have been a lot of injuries or a power failure at Soldier Field that day.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2020, 01:57 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

05-04-2020, 04:20 PM

At halftime, a rundown of the day's scores from NFL '81, plus a preview of that night's Bob Hope Christmas special featuring Loni Anderson and Andy Williams.

Also, you may notice an obvious channel change or two, done most likely to avoid WPXI's halftime news report. One of the commercials we see in this montage of sorts is for the annual Children's Hospital Telethon presented by KDKA (Channel 2) in Pittsburgh, which was perhaps the preeminent broadcast event of the city's holiday season in its heyday. It's still being done, but only online.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2020, 04:20 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
danderson400
Starting Lineup

05-07-2020, 12:42 PM

(05-04-2020, 01:57 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: It's not something they talk about much, Tim. I don't fully understand the ins and outs of it myself, and it's not noticeable most weeks because the vast majority of early games finish well before the late games have played a whole quarter. I think I've heard of a case or two that's gone even longer, with commercials being delayed into the middle of the second quarter because an early game went deep into overtime, but the Broncos-Bears game wasn't one of those; the Bears won 35-24. There must have been a lot of injuries or a power failure at Soldier Field that day.

I seem to remember Joe Buck talking about that once on Fox, when the Giants-Jets game ran into the Eagles-Cowboys game in 2011 on Christmas Eve.