79 Super Steelers
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-25-2020, 11:15 AM

I just watched the 79 Super Bowl for the millionth time and it never ceases to amaze me just how prepared that Rams squad was. Then I got to thinking, their defensive coordinator was Bud Carson, the offensive coordinator was Dan Radkovich, and their wide receiver coach was Lionel Taylor. Carson designed our stunt 63 cover two defense. Radkovich designed our  trap offense, and Taylor was our WR coach, but was also our QB coach. Do you think the Rams collectively could come up killer game plan? They probably new our playbook better than anybody we’d played up to that point.

A couple of observations, the Rams did a lot of cross body blocking below the waist on our D Line. There were too many plays they had our entire DL in a heap on the ground. Our DL Was getting manhandled for most of the game, and until we started blitzing we weren’t stopping them.

As for the offense, the Ram stopped up our trapping offense eventually shutting it down completely in the 2nd half,  along with our play action passing game. The good news is Bradshaw adjusted started throwing the ball deep, But  got dinged for 3 interceptions, two of which were pretty ugly passes, and  a potential pick 6 that was dropped by Cromwell. But he did connect on a couple of bombs, and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. 

In the end, the players on the field decided the outcome which as it should be, and talent eventually won out. IMO, out of the 4 Super Bowl the Steelers won in the 70’s, the Rams gave us the best fight.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-26-2020, 11:59 PM

We had 'em all the way.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

05-29-2020, 01:31 AM

Not just prepared… The Rams knew what defense the Steelers had called on every play, at least in the first half. Bud Carson had “broken the code” and the Rams were stealing the Steelers defensive signals. Once the Steelers figured out what the Rams were doing they started sending in the defensive calls using “messenger linebackers”, rotating Robin Cole and Loren Toews. If you re-watch the game and look for it you’ll see it.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2020, 02:44 AM by bbbooger.)
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-30-2020, 03:28 AM

(05-29-2020, 01:31 AM)bbbooger Wrote: Not just prepared… The Rams knew what defense the Steelers had called on every play, at least in the first half.  Bud Carson had “broken the code” and the Rams were stealing the Steelers defensive signals.  Once the Steelers figured out what the Rams were doing they started sending in the defensive calls using “messenger linebackers”, rotating Robin Cole and Loren Toews.  If you re-watch the game and look for it you’ll see it.

Interesting, I hadn’t noticed. I know Ham was out, and I noticed Toews was in the game a lot in the second half. I thought maybe something happened to Chillie Bowl Cole. The Rams stats in the second half were respectable, so I not so sure the platooning was working all that well.

One thing I did notice was our DL was spending a lot of time on the ground in both halves.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-03-2020, 12:57 PM

Yeah, that was a white knuckle game. The Rams played well, gave us a pretty good scare. Dave, I agree with pretty much everything you said. 

It was definitely a nerve-wracking game. Turnovers plagued us that entire year like nothing I've ever seen, and the Super Bowl was no different. We also missed Ham big time, IMO, and losing Swann in the 3rd seemed to really throw Terry off his game for awhile. Frankly, the whole team seemed a little "off" in SB XIV.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

06-04-2020, 12:40 AM

(06-03-2020, 12:57 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Yeah, that was a white knuckle game. The Rams played well, gave us a pretty good scare. Dave, I agree with pretty much everything you said. 

It was definitely a nerve-wracking game. Turnovers plagued us that entire year like nothing I've ever seen, and the Super Bowl was no different. We also missed Ham big time, IMO, and losing Swann in the 3rd seemed to really throw Terry off his game for awhile. Frankly, the whole team seemed a little "off" in SB XIV.

Good point about Ham not playing. Seems like Tyler made a lot of yards running to his side.
Jbsptfn
Special Teamer

06-04-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:In the end, the players on the field decided the outcome which as it should be, and talent eventually won out. IMO, out of the 4 Super Bowl the Steelers won in the 70’s, the Rams gave us the best fight.

On this one football forum I go on, we had a thread about worst SB participants. Some people mentioned the 79 Rams, but I defended them. That was a talented and deep team, and once they got a better QB in there (I think that Ferragamo was better than Haden), they were able to get over the hump and go to the Super Bowl.

Some people think that the Oilers would have defeated them, but I don't think they would have. Houston was a tough team, but they weren't that talented. Heck, I think they would have played the Chargers way tougher than they did earlier that season (when they lost 40-16 to them or something like that).
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2020, 05:21 AM by Jbsptfn.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-04-2020, 05:47 AM

It's kinda funny how most of us who witnessed it in real time view the Super Bowl victory over the Rams as the most tenuous, even though it has the largest margin of victory "points-wise" of ANY Steelers Super Bowl. 

The final score belies the true nature of the game. 

I agree, the Rams were very good, despite their record in '79. They made the playoffs 8 straight times from '73-'80, winning their division 7 of those. Yes, it was a weak division. But during that stretch, they were regularly in the top 5 for both offense and defense in the entire league. They had this weird mid-season blip in '79 where they lost 4 out of 5 games, then they got hot again. 

Others have pointed it out in this thread, and I think it's true: Bud Carson was their secret weapon against Pittsburgh. The insider info he had definitely helped them.