Cheats*** fined and penalized again by NFL
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

06-30-2020, 12:27 AM

The Patriots are being punished for their actions.

The New England Patriots defeated the Cincinnati Bengals 34-13 last season, but the game became a major storyline due to an employee of the Patriots recording the Bengals sideline as they took on the Cleveland Browns the week before.

On Sunday, they received their punishments:
Quote:[Image: ycm8ibEE_normal.jpg]
[/url]Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

NFL has handed down these penalties to the Patriots for their television crew filming the Bengals-Browns game in December, sources tell @MikeReiss:

[Image: 1f3c8.png]$1.1 million in club fines.
[Image: 1f3c8.png]Loss of 2021 third-round pick.
[Image: 1f3c8.png]Patriots’ TV crews not allowed to shoot games during 2020 season.

[url=https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1277394412411260930]

Roll Roll Roll Roll Roll

Read more: https://www.totalprosports.com/2020/06/2...9DwftyYlTk

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

07-01-2020, 06:20 AM

. If thats the case, Every team should start filming sidelines and substitutions during certain plays.
Jbsptfn
Unregistered

07-04-2020, 06:00 AM

On another football forum I go on, There is a thread called "Should Bill Belichick be Banned". In it, people are using the quotes Tarkenton used about SB IX pre-game (about the linemen looking like they were on roids). I think that Tark mentioned Steve Courson (who was in college then) and Mike Webster (who didn't start that game. Ray Mansfield [who wasn't linked to roids] did). Also, someone said that Noll and Cowher started a steroid culture in Pittsburgh, and basically indicated that the Steelers introduced roids to the NFL. That is so not true:

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=3866837
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-04-2020, 07:40 AM

Honestly, I don't care about steroids during that era in terms of their impact on the game. They were 100% legal. For the same reason, I don't care about the use of Stickum (a la Belitnikov, Lester Hayes, etc.). It was legal

I don't care about head slaps, clothesline tackles, bump and run coverage, DB's blowing up defenseless receivers, etc. For the most part, I'm not bothered by anything that was done legally

The difference with the Patriots is they have been caught willfully, deceptively, insidiously cheating... multiple times. Icky kinds of cheating. Cheating in ways that show it's endemic to the entire organization. 

Steroids in the '70s? Couldn't care less in terms of their impact on game play. I don't give a shit. In terms of how they may have negatively impacted players' health, that's a different story.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

07-06-2020, 09:14 AM

(07-04-2020, 07:40 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Honestly, I don't care about steroids during that era in terms of their impact on the game. They were 100% legal. For the same reason, I don't care about the use of Stickum (a la Belitnikov, Lester Hayes, etc.). It was legal

I don't care about head slaps, clothesline tackles, bump and run coverage, DB's blowing up defenseless receivers, etc. For the most part, I'm not bothered by anything that was done legally

The difference with the Patriots is they have been caught willfully, deceptively, insidiously cheating... multiple times. Icky kinds of cheating. Cheating in ways that show it's endemic to the entire organization. 

Steroids in the '70s? Couldn't care less in terms of their impact on game play. I don't give a shit. In terms of how they may have negatively impacted players' health, that's a different story.

Of course the Steelers used roids. A significant amount of the NFL players used them. 

Decades ago Roy Blount Jr wrote a book “About Three Bricks Shy of a Load” and delved into the drug culture back in the 70s. In particular a story about Jim Clack an offensive guard that played at a stated weight of over 224 lbs. Pretty  much he couldn’t keep weight on him and steroids was the only way he’d break the 200lbs mark.

Even today, you see players a few years after they retire, like Arron Smith, Alan Faneca, and Tunch that are a shell of themselves when they were players and ya just got to wonder. Modern diets with more  targeted nutritional values, better weight training, Or.....
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-06-2020, 11:38 AM

(07-06-2020, 09:14 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: Decades ago Roy Blount Jr wrote a book “About Three Bricks Shy of a Load” and delved into the drug culture back in the 70s. In particular a story about Jim Clack an offensive guard that played at a stated weight of over 224 lbs. Pretty  much he couldn’t keep weight on him and steroids was the only way he’d break the 200lbs mark.

Good read, written just before their first Super Bowl.  Thumbsup  I still have it in hard copy somewhere. Picked it up in a used bookstore back in the '90's.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

07-08-2020, 12:11 PM

(07-06-2020, 11:38 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 09:14 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: Decades ago Roy Blount Jr wrote a book “About Three Bricks Shy of a Load” and delved into the drug culture back in the 70s. In particular a story about Jim Clack an offensive guard that played at a stated weight of over 224 lbs. Pretty  much he couldn’t keep weight on him and steroids was the only way he’d break the 200lbs mark.

Good read, written just before their first Super Bowl.  Thumbsup  I still have it in hard copy somewhere. Picked it up in a used bookstore back in the '90's.

I doubt my 70’s paper back copy could withstand another reading.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-08-2020, 12:44 PM

(07-08-2020, 12:11 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 11:38 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:

I doubt my 70’s paper back copy could withstand another reading.

Mine even still has the paper outer sleeve on it. *BRAG*  Pi_bigsmile

Not exactly sure why I'm gloating over that...  Laugh
Jbsptfn
Unregistered

07-08-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:The difference with the Patriots is they have been caught willfully, deceptively, insidiously cheating... multiple times. Icky kinds of cheating. Cheating in ways that show it's endemic to the entire organization.

Yes. And, they have been doing it for almost 20 years. In Week 1 of the 2000 season, Charlie Weis basically told Bucs DC Monte Kiffin after the game that they knew all their plays and still couldn't beat them. Also, in 01, I think that Hines Ward said that the Pats seemed to know what they were doing in the AFC Title Game that year.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

07-10-2020, 12:48 AM

(07-08-2020, 07:12 PM)Jbsptfn Wrote:
Quote:The difference with the Patriots is they have been caught willfully, deceptively, insidiously cheating... multiple times. Icky kinds of cheating. Cheating in ways that show it's endemic to the entire organization.

Yes. And, they have been doing it for almost 20 years. In Week 1 of the 2000 season, Charlie Weis basically told Bucs DC Monte Kiffin after the game that they knew all their plays and still couldn't beat them. Also, in 01, I think that Hines Ward said that the Pats seemed to know what they were doing in the AFC Title Game that year.

Link >  https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-ste...128539218/

Jbsptfn
Unregistered

07-11-2020, 04:37 AM

Good article. And, right on the money. The NFL should be ashamed for what they did. They protected their monetary interests, and Belichick and Brady became false idols. What they did was worse than what Pete Rose did.