Stephon Tuitt will not kneel for the anthem
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

07-28-2020, 06:41 AM

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Stephon Tuitt said on Monday that he will not kneel during the national anthem this upcoming NFL season.

“Also I’m not kneeling for the flag and screw anybody who have a problem with that,” Tuitt wrote on Twitter. “My grandmother was a immigrant from the Carribean and age worked her ass off to bring 20 people over the right way. She had no money and educated herself to be a nurse. She living good now.”

In six games last year, Tuitt finished with 22 tackles and 3.5 sacks. He missed the final 10 games of the season after tearing his pectoral.

Earlier in the offseason, Tuitt’s teammate, Cameron Heyward said that the team would protest in unity, however they choose to do so.

“I think we want to stay united in what we do and what we want to accomplish,” Heyward said during a conference call with reporters last month. “Coach T (Tomlin) always told me that if we win a Super Bowl, that's not enough for the city of Pittsburgh. We want to leave a lasting change on our community as well.”

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/sports/pittsburg...ing-anthem

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

07-28-2020, 06:43 AM

It's refreshing to see an athlete thinking for themselves and not the standard "group think" the left mandates.

Three cheers for Stephon.

Maybe some of the athletes could actually do good for the community instead of cowing down to the left.

Next - Minkah, #39!
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

07-28-2020, 02:04 PM

Is it ok if they play football?

Does anyone remember Jack Lambert's political views? Do you remember if Dermonti Dawson was 'woke'?
Krunch
Hall of Famer

07-28-2020, 11:57 PM

I have a new favorite Steeler.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

07-29-2020, 02:49 AM

(07-28-2020, 11:57 PM)Krunch Wrote: I have a new favorite Steeler.

It is a breath of fresh air. Coach Tomlin said whatever they did he wanted it in unity. This is a good sign and with Heyward and AV I don't think you'll see kneeling. Maybe arms linked or something of that nature. I'd like to see Ben bring back "Band of Brothers".

Next - Minkah, #39!
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

07-29-2020, 02:50 AM

(07-28-2020, 02:04 PM)RaynorShyne Wrote: Is it ok if they play football?

Does anyone remember Jack Lambert's political views?   Do you remember if Dermonti Dawson was 'woke'?

I agree, but this is the "woke" generation. Most of these morons have more access and the capibilty to really do good for their community but they choose to be led by the leftist "mind-think(less) policies.

Next - Minkah, #39!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-29-2020, 08:44 AM

Good thing his name isn't Drew Brees or all hell would be breaking loose right now.  Pi_careless 

I'm in agreement with what Tuitt is saying, but I also can't look past the incredible double standard of one person being able to speak their mind relatively unscathed, while another person (Brees) is crucified by the media. 

What a difference a year makes. Correction: What a difference an election year makes.  Eyes

This is one of several reasons I'm done with the current NFL. I've washed my hands of it. I'm looking to give the site a face lift to remove all of the "current" Steelers info (scores, standings, schedule, etc.). I'm done. It's all classic Steelers football for me from here on out.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

07-29-2020, 10:12 AM

(07-29-2020, 08:44 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Good thing his name isn't Drew Brees or all hell would be breaking loose right now.  Pi_careless 

I'm in agreement with what Tuitt is saying, but I also can't look past the incredible double standard of one person being able to speak their mind relatively unscathed, while another person (Brees) is crucified by the media. 

What a difference a year makes. Correction: What a difference an election year makes.  Eyes

This is one of several reasons I'm done with the current NFL. I've washed my hands of it. I'm looking to give the site a face lift to remove all of the "current" Steelers info (scores, standings, schedule, etc.). I'm done. It's all classic Steelers football for me from here on out.

I have not commented on anything related to the Steelers until this post.  I would heartily approve of that move Tim.  I would be glad to come here to discuss the classic Steelers teams.  I hope you do this.  I'm done talking politics and everything related to the current racists on both sides.  You've made a good decision
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

07-29-2020, 01:13 PM

Assuming you go through with this retooling, Tim, would there be a cutoff date on the videos you accept? If there is, what is it? Remember, even the 2020 season will someday be seen as a classic, especially if the Steelers win the Super Bowl. Also, there are only a few clusters of games that aren't already on the site from 1970-2010. A little bit of the mid-eighties, some late nineties games, and the lean years of the 2000s. Once you fill in those blanks and put up some of your non-Steelers games, this site is pretty much done.

As big a Steeler fan as I am, I'm pretty much here for the games that you haven't already put up and that I haven't seen yet ,at least since they were live. Put more simply, I'd rather see you put up the playoff loss to Jacksonville from a few years ago or watch Mason and Duck struggle last year than watch Bradshaw and Swann win Super Bowl X for the hundredth time. Not because I enjoy watching the Steelers lose, but because it's something relatively fresh even if it IS a loss.

I know that my opinion means nothing next to those of the many on this site that you agree with politically- your so-called "band of brothers", as it was once described to me- but I'm asking you not to stunt this site's growth because today's players are using their hard-earned public platform to express different political views than yours. Watch the games or don't, but if someone wants to submit the videos for inclusion on the site at some point, let them do so.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2020, 01:16 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-29-2020, 03:01 PM

(07-28-2020, 02:04 PM)RaynorShyne Wrote: Is it ok if they play football?

Shyne, that perfectly and succinctly sums up my frame of mind. Can they please just play football? 

Nope. Not anymore. Too woke. Or perhaps more accurately, too intimidated. Kneeling, separate anthems, names on helmets? Truly interesting double standards. 

Speaking of names on helmets, does anyone know the name Micah Xavier Johnson? 

No? I didn't think so. 

How 'bout these names: Lorne Ahrens, Michael Krol, Michael Smith, Brent Thompson or Patricio Zamarripa?

No? Of course not.

Those are the 5 Dallas police officers who were murdered in 2016 by Micah Xavier Johnson, a BLM supporter who's stated mission was "to kill white people, especially white officers." He sniped them in cold blood. He had even just spoken with several of them moments before he murdered them.

You might recall, the Dallas Cowboys wanted to honor these fallen police officers with a small "Arm in Arm" decal on the back of their helmets. No names, just the simple "Arm in Arm" message featuring a star. Of course, the NFL said no. At the time, I didn't like it much. I thought it was a heartless decision to not let Dallas honor their fallen officers. But at the same time, I understood because of the Pandora's box it would potentially open. 

Well, I'd say the box pretty flippin' wide open now. 

Does anyone think the names Lorne Ahrens, Michael Krol, Michael Smith, Brent Thompson or Patricio Zamarripa will be allowed on helmets this season, along with George Floyd the other NFL-approved names? Of course not. 

And that's the problem with what the NFL is doing. George Floyd was robbed of his life. He absolutely did not deserve to die. Peaceful protests in his name are understandable and justified. But what about the lives of Lorne Ahrens, Michael Krol, Michael Smith, Brent Thompson and Patricio Zamarripa? Do they not also matter? 

Clearly, the NFL's answer is NO, they don't. 

Instead, there will be a separate Black National Anthem. I'm surprised to learn there even is such a thing? It took 60 years to fully wipe away Plessy v. Ferguson, and now some people apparently want to go back to that? Frankly, nothing should surprise me anymore. We live in truly strange times.

The real world is crazy enough on its own. Football is supposed to provide an escape from the real world. Instead, it's choosing sides and throwing gas on the fire. 

No thanks. I have zero interest in that.  
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-29-2020, 03:12 PM

(07-29-2020, 01:13 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Once you fill in those blanks and put up some of your non-Steelers games, this site is pretty much done.

Garrett, you clearly have no idea what this site is about.

Which is frankly bizarre, because you've been a regular for quite some time.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

07-29-2020, 04:34 PM

Educate me then, Tim. Just what the hell IS this site about?

You have videos of lots of Steeler games. Good for you, but so does YouTube, in a lot of cases taken from the exact same sources. Private DVD collectors, myself included, have bought and paid for many of those same videos. This site is more convenient and accessible than my own collection at the moment, but it's no different. The games are exactly the same.

What else do you have to offer? Your comment sections are dead; I ought to know, I post my halftime and postgame broadcast information in a good many of them. What discussion do these old games consistently generate? I'm not talking about a couple of short comments here and there; I'm talking nuts-and-bolts football discussion. One of the few I remember was the Marino one that developed in one of the Cleveland game threads, and it was fascinating. But what drives this site these days is exactly what you're looking to eliminate: talk about the current Steelers team and the political climate of the NFL. Most of it is uncomplimentary, but it's all you've got in terms of visible traffic.

I can count on one hand the amount of posts you get about classic games in a week, and I don't even have to use all of my fingers, just the ones I type the bulk of them with myself. If it wasn't for me telling you what was on the pregame and postgame shows, what else would you have? You don't even get that many straight political posts in the Coffee House, and this is an election year. You're down to a few photos of your wife, a few photos of your grandson, a story or two on the front page, and that's all. Am I missing anything? What else can the average Steeler fan get here that they can't get from other places?
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2020, 05:01 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-29-2020, 05:40 PM

(07-29-2020, 04:34 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Educate me then, Tim. Just what the hell IS this site about?

You have videos of lots of Steeler games. Good for you, but so does YouTube, in a lot of cases taken from the exact same sources. Private DVD collectors, myself included, have bought and paid for many of those same videos. This site is more convenient and accessible than my own collection at the moment, but it's no different. The games are exactly the same.

This site is all about making classic Steelers games available to those who love to watch them.  

Fact: There is no better source to watch classic Steelers games in the world. There are literally hundreds of Steelers games here that aren't on YouTube, which instantly blocks/removes a large percentage of the very best games. Therefore, this site is the most extensive, most easily accessed library of classic Steelers games in existence. Well organized, each of them with short-but-detailed game summaries and convenient links to stats. 

Steelers history is literally preserved here for the whole world to enjoy. 

Thousands of people do just that, despite the fact that the message board is dead and "articles" are old and stale. Despite the fact that the design is a good 20 years behind the times (Y2K compatible, brought to you by Tripod and Geocities) and not even remotely mobile-friendly. A whole lot of people love this site, despite its warts. They don't come for the discussion; they come to watch the games. 

No one has to "buy/pay for" anything here. Except me, of course. It costs me hundreds of dollars each year (not to mention my sizable investment acquiring games over the years) while generating zero revenue. I don't sell ads, I don't charge people to watch videos, I don't sell anything. I just think people deserve to see those classic games, especially from the '70s. The Cowher-era '90s are pretty cool, too. 

Maybe someday the NFL will step up and do this right? They're slowly starting to make some classic games available, which is a good thing. It would be amazing if they'd open up the entire 70's Steelers library (and refrain from their poorly-chosen edits). Until they do, we're the torchbearers.

If you don't value what this site offers, go find another site where you can watch all these games. 

Oh, wait... another site like this doesn't exist. So kiss it.  Pi_bigsmile

P.S. -- Consider yourself educated.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

07-29-2020, 09:51 PM

(07-29-2020, 05:40 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 04:34 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Educate me then, Tim. Just what the hell IS this site about?

This site is all about making classic Steelers games available to those who love to watch them.  

Fact: There is no better source to watch classic Steelers games in the world. There are literally hundreds of Steelers games here that aren't on YouTube, which instantly blocks/removes a large percentage of the very best games. Therefore, this site is the most extensive, most easily accessed library of classic Steelers games in existence. Well organized, each of them with short-but-detailed game summaries and convenient links to stats. 

Steelers history is literally preserved here for the whole world to enjoy. 

Thousands of people do just that, despite the fact that the message board is dead and "articles" are old and stale. Despite the fact that the design is a good 20 years behind the times (Y2K compatible, brought to you by Tripod and Geocities) and not even remotely mobile-friendly. A whole lot of people love this site, despite its warts. They don't come for the discussion; they come to watch the games. 

No one has to "buy/pay for" anything here. Except me, of course. It costs me hundreds of dollars each year (not to mention my sizable investment acquiring games over the years) while generating zero revenue. I don't sell ads, I don't charge people to watch videos, I don't sell anything. I just think people deserve to see those classic games, especially from the '70s. The Cowher-era '90s are pretty cool, too. 

Maybe someday the NFL will step up and do this right? They're slowly starting to make some classic games available, which is a good thing. It would be amazing if they'd open up the entire 70's Steelers library (and refrain from their poorly-chosen edits). Until they do, we're the torchbearers.

If you don't value what this site offers, go find another site where you can watch all these games. 

Oh, wait... another site like this doesn't exist. So kiss it.  Pi_bigsmile

P.S. -- Consider yourself educated.

tim you've never asked for a dime from us.  I would be willing to donate to help.  You've done more for those of us old guys than anyone else Pi_bigsmile   I think a few others would also be willing to help with the cost of running the site.  When I was in the hospital for 10 days in December all I did was pretty much watch steeler games on here until I finally could fall asleep.  At home recovering same thing.  This site has been a part of my life for years now and Im looking forward to the evolution of the site as you describe it.  Thank you
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

07-30-2020, 03:32 AM

I am also at the crossroads with the NFL. I will probably still follow the Steelers until Ben hangs them up and probably call it quits then.

I have to start enjoying the older games here more, just been very busy at work.

Keep up the good work - Tim.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

07-30-2020, 04:34 AM

Nice commercial for the site, Tim. Would you mind answering the question I asked above, which was: Is there now a cutoff date for which you'll accept game videos? Your latest current game is from 2014. Is 2016 classic enough? How about 2018? If the 2020 Steelers win the Super Bowl, will we eventually be able to watch their games on this site, regardless of how you feel about the politics of the individual players involved
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2020, 04:35 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-30-2020, 06:01 AM

(07-30-2020, 04:34 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Nice commercial for the site, Tim. Would you mind answering the question I asked above, which was: Is there now a cutoff date for which you'll accept game videos? Your latest current game is from 2014. Is 2016 classic enough? How about 2018? If the 2020 Steelers win the Super Bowl, will we eventually be able to watch their games on this site, regardless of how you feel about the politics of the individual players involved

That wasn't a commercial; it was a tutorial to instruct you regarding your "Just what the hell IS this site about?" inquiry. Laugh Hopefully, the great shroud of mystery has been lifted. Nerd

Regarding which games I'll add, I honestly don't know. It's really whatever I get in the mood to add based on a) my personal interest, b) ease of availability, c) video quality of the game, and d) user requests... in no particular order.

Right now, I really want to add 2007 season. Keith "Crash" Froehlich has all the games and agreed to convert them to MP4 for us, and I trust the high quality of what he will provide. Unfortunately, he moved and his game are in storage. I know some of the '07 games are out there, but the quality has been sketchy, so I've been holding out for Crash.

If you know of a high-quality source, let me know.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

07-30-2020, 06:33 AM

Okay, thanks.

One other thing in a slightly less serious vein. You've asked us to tell you if we saw any notable omissions in your Top 15 lists for each decade. Here's a mighty big one under the 2000s: Super Bowl XL.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2020, 11:30 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-30-2020, 01:02 PM

(07-30-2020, 06:33 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: One other thing in a slightly less serious vein. You've asked us to tell you if we saw any notable omissions in your Top 15 lists for each decade. Here's a mighty big one under the 2000s: Super Bowl XL.

Yeah, I know Super Bowl XL a glaring omission. But while it's one of the 6 most important wins in Steelers history, it's just not a game I enjoy watching. Super Bowl IX is conspicuously absent as well. Again, it just doesn't get move me the way other games on the list do.

Those lists aren't necessarily what I view as the "best" or most important games (although many of them qualify). They're just games I personally enjoy watching. 

The 2004 game vs. Cleveland is a great example. Nothing particularly special about that game, but it was entertaining to watch and Ben was just so good. It was during that game that I thought, "Man, I think we really have something pretty damn special in this Roethlisberger kid." That game kicked off one of the best 4-game regular season stretches in Steelers history, IMO, surpassed only by the '79 Broncos/Cowboys/Redskins/Chiefs stretch. 

Anyway, that's why Super Bowl XL isn't there. Hugely significant game... but kind of a snoozer.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

07-30-2020, 11:09 PM

(07-30-2020, 01:02 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 06:33 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: One other thing in a slightly less serious vein. You've asked us to tell you if we saw any notable omissions in your Top 15 lists for each decade. Here's a mighty big one under the 2000s: Super Bowl XL.

Yeah, I know Super Bowl XL a glaring omission. But while it's one of the 6 most important wins in Steelers history, it's just not a game I enjoy watching. Super Bowl IX is conspicuously absent as well. Again, it just doesn't get move me the way other games on the list do.

Those lists aren't necessarily what I view as the "best" or most important games (although many of them qualify). They're just games I personally enjoy watching. 

The 2004 game vs. Cleveland is a great example. Nothing particularly special about that game, but it was entertaining to watch and Ben was just so good. It was during that game that I thought, "Man, I think we really have something pretty damn special in this Roethlisberger kid." That game kicked off one of the best 4-game regular season stretches in Steelers history, IMO, surpassed only by the '79 Broncos/Cowboys/Redskins/Chiefs stretch. 

Anyway, that's why Super Bowl XL isn't there. Hugely significant game... but kind of a snoozer.
Man you act like you own this site or something!
Arrowhead#63
Special Teamer

07-30-2020, 11:28 PM

(07-30-2020, 01:02 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:

I don't care about the current NFL having to lock step because they are intimidated.
I for one come here mainly for the classic games and truly hope this site remains for a long time
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

07-31-2020, 01:20 AM

I will more than likely migrate to classic games only once Ben hangs them up.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

08-01-2020, 05:59 AM

(07-29-2020, 08:44 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Good thing his name isn't Drew Brees or all hell would be breaking loose right now.  Pi_careless 

Good points but the big differencernce is Tuitt said "screw anyone that has a problem with it."

Much like the CEO of GOYA, he said that's what he said and he wasn't going to apologize for it or step down.

I think a lot of this will go away after Nov. 4th, but the more people that stand up to the cancel culture the weaker they will become. 

What if Brees had simply said "that's my beliefs"? Who knows but as soon as he apologized he was toast.

Next - Minkah, #39!