Ditching the NFL, Weeks 1-21
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-21-2020, 10:18 AM

Here's how we spent each weekend of the 2020 football season instead of wasting it on the NFL.  Smokin

Week 1: REAL football in our backyard with our kids/grandkids. Thumbsup 

[Image: football_200704.jpg]

Week 2: Hiking with our grandson. Pi_heartbeating

[Image: pax_hike_200920.jpg]

Week 3: Shopping with the wife. Pi_heartbeating Pi_heartbeating Pi_heartbeating

[Image: renee_shopping.jpg]

Week 4: A visit to the pumpkin patch with the lovely wife and family. Pi_heartbeating 

[Image: renee_pumpkin_patch.jpg]

Week 5: We enjoyed an absolutely GORGEOUS Ohio fall day outside with our grandson... and Baby Yoda.  Pi_bigsmile  

[Image: pax_yoda_patio.jpg]

Week 6: Nothing too exciting Sunday... washed and waxed the ride. Saturday was pretty awesome, though. Took a a morning walk, an amazing afternoon hike and  enjoyed some ridiculously good weather. But Sunday was quiet. I'll admit I score-watched online a little bit. Pretty sure this was the first Steelers/Browns game I've missed since 1974.

[Image: honda.jpg]

Week 7: Took a fall drive in the country with the wife, then noodled on the guitar while half-watching a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" mini-marathon. Pi_bigsmile

Also, Big 10 Football is back and it was awesome to see my Buckeyes slaughter Nebraska 52-17 on Saturday. Thumbsup

[Image: wee7_large.jpg]

Week 8: It actually snowed most of the day Sunday, so we stayed inside and enjoyed time with our precious granddaughter.  Pi_heartbeating

[Image: week8_large.jpg]

P.S. -- Of course it's snowing on the roses. Why wouldn't it be?  Pi_dunno 

[Image: snow_roses.jpg]

Week 9: What a difference a week makes! Last Sunday, it snowed. This Sunday, it was sunny and 75 degrees, so we headed to the park with our grandson. Short sleeves in November? We'll take it!!!

[Image: week9_large.jpg]

Week 10: It's windy AF here today! Kinda rainy/cloudy/nasty most of the day, but no worries. Good day for indoor activities before our idiot governor pointlessly shuts everything down so he can remain a media darling.  Eyes

Perfect day to take the Big Man to the carousel downtown for fun and games.  Happy  The carousel here is really quite amazing, but it has been HAMMERED by COVID restrictions. There was only one other family there, a mom and son. The place should be packed on a day like this. Hope it is able to survive.

[Image: week10_large.jpg]

Week 11: Congrats to the Steelers on a 10-0 start. Who'da thunk it? 

We've been blessed to spend time with our grandchildren on 8 out of 11 weekends this season (which is exactly why we moved back to Ohio). Even though it was rainy and cold and crappy out all day, it made for an ideal afternoon/evening of indoor adventures. However, as our dog can attest, we are now exhausted.  Laugh

[Image: week11_large.jpg]

Week 12: We had an awesome visit from our son Eric, who still lives up in Michigan. Here he is with our grandson, playing "Let's Go Fishing," Paxton style: Catch the fish, line them up... then pretend to shoot them.  Pi_shocked Laugh

[Image: week12_large.jpg]

Week 13: Everything is decorated for Christmas... including on our grandson.  Pi_bigsmile

[Image: week13_large.jpg]

Week 14: "Christmas at Kingwood" with the fam to celebrate Renee's birthday. Perfect company and perfect weather!

[Image: week14_large.jpg]

Week 15: A night away for our wedding anniversary! Bow-chicka bow-wow!  Pi_heartbeating Dance Pi_wink1 Thumbsup

[Image: renee_anniversary.jpg]

Week 16: It was a truly strange COVID Christmas, but we were thrilled to have both boys down from Michigan to celebrate!  Pi_heartbeating 

[Image: week16_large.jpg]

Week 17: Instead of watching any NFL games, I dug into the sci-fi classic, "A Canticle for Leibowitz." Thoroughly enjoying it. 

[Image: week17_large.jpg]

Week 18: I made the mistake of tuning in for the playoff game vs. Cleveland. The draw was just too strong and my resolve finally crumbled. 

First snap, the ball goes 10 yards over Big Ben's head for a Cleveland TD. Followed by 3 hours of shitty coaching by Tomlin vs. a team who was literally without a head coach. Embarassed That's what I get for not sticking to my guns. Eyes

[Image: week18_large.jpg]

Week 19: A Sunday afternoon with our grandson and "The Child" (animatronic version). Alien Pi_bigsmile First time we've seen him since before Christmas thanks to COVID.

[Image: week19_large.jpg]

Week 20: Well, as sick as I am of Bernie pics... it had to be done. Don't judge.  Wavehello

Spent the afternoon shopping with the wife at Polaris, and YES, we were wearing our stupid masks. Crazy Bernie clearly didn't approve.

[Image: week20_large.jpg]

Week 21: A late lunch date and a drive with the lovely missus. Truth in advertising, this pic is from last March because a) I forgot to snap a photo yesterday, and b) I really love this photo of Renee, so it's a nice excuse to post it. 

More truth in advertising... curiosity got the better of me and I tuned in to watch some of the Super Bowl via 720psteam.me. Unexpected outcome. Gotta give mad props to Tom Brady. I've despised him his entire career because he's basically been our daddy. But I can't help but laugh that people are now acting like Arians is a genius. Laugh Arians is a good coach, but the genius is Tom Brady. It was true in New England, it's true in Tampa. Bill Belichick was MADE by the dumb luck of drafting Tom Brady as cannon fodder in the 6th round (followed by a fluke injury to Drew Bledsoe). 

Tom Brady has made a career of making head coaches and offensive coordinators look like geniuses while making defenses look clueless. Tampa bay just came off seasons of 5-11, 5-11 and 7-9. One thing changed

G.O.A.T. Yes, I understand the argument that he wouldn't have lasted a season in the 1970's, and I don't necessarily disagree. But he didn't play in the 1970's, so we'll never know. 10 Super Bowl appearances, 7 Super Bowl wins? It will never be matched. Never. Hats off to Tom Brady.

Despite Brady's greatness, good riddance to a garbage NFL season. I didn't miss it a bit, especially when the weather was nicer and despite a global pandemic. If they continue the rampant social justice pandering (which is phony lip service IMO anyway), I'll sit out next year as well. I didn't see the whole game or any of the pregame, but from what I did see, the commercials, public service announcements and non-stop leftist nonsense were insufferable. And WTF was that halftime show?  Laugh

Have a great offseason, everyone.  Thumbsup

[Image: week21_large.jpg]
Rollers
Hall of Famer

09-21-2020, 10:44 AM

I spent the afternoon with my dog and son. We went to a 3 gun competition.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

09-21-2020, 07:59 PM

I went on a long bike ride. Wanted to grab a beverage on my way home and decided to stop at the local bar. The place was almost empty. It appears direct tv and maybe the nfl could not get together and nothing, expect the local coverage, was televised.

My first thought was it was good to see the social justice fools suffer but then realized their failure was really hurting the local business and its employees. That last part left a sour feeling in my stomach that one local brew could not ease.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

09-22-2020, 12:51 AM

I didn't watch it either. it wasn't telecast and I wasn't paying jack squat to the NFL. I went to the range and had a lot of fun.

I had fun with my buddy Sig and AR.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2020, 07:47 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Spokan Stiller
Special Teamer

09-22-2020, 05:06 AM

Love it! Way to go!
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

09-29-2020, 09:39 AM

I went to the range with my buddies Sig and AR. This is becoming quite the habit for me.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Spokan Stiller
Special Teamer

09-30-2020, 05:29 AM

I would think mowing that lawn would take up all your free time anyway!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-30-2020, 02:13 PM

(09-30-2020, 05:29 AM)Spokan Stiller Wrote: I would think mowing that lawn would take up all your free time anyway!

Laugh 

I don't mow that beast, man. No way. I flippin' HATE to mow. We hire that nonsense out.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-30-2020, 02:16 PM

(09-29-2020, 09:39 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: I went to the range with my buddies Sig and AR. This is becoming quite the habit for me.

Nice. Thumbsup  Need to add similar activities to our Sunday bucket list.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-01-2020, 03:30 AM

Week 4 - Steelers - Flaming Thumbtacks - Postponed - Covid-19.

Next - Minkah, #39!
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-05-2020, 12:35 AM

State park for me. Time to hit the trails!
McSteeler
Hall of Famer

10-05-2020, 08:47 PM

You're a lucky man, Brother.

If you can read this thank a teacher.
If it's in English thank a soldier.
McSteeler
Hall of Famer

10-05-2020, 08:48 PM

Working out, work, praise, work... Case files, lather, rinse, repeat.
Hi Kids!

Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-06-2020, 07:50 AM

This week did some odd jobs around the house and not much else. Did not watch 1 play or lap of any sport.

Next - Minkah, #39!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-06-2020, 04:34 PM

(10-05-2020, 08:48 PM)McSteeler Wrote: Working out, work, praise, work... Case files, lather, rinse, repeat.
Hi Kids!

McSteeler!!! Wavehello Long time no see! How's it goin' in your world, my brutha?
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-06-2020, 04:35 PM

(10-05-2020, 12:35 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: State park for me. Time to hit the trails!

Yes, this is perfect weather for it. Thumbsup
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-06-2020, 04:41 PM

(10-06-2020, 07:50 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Did not watch 1 play or lap of any sport.

Same here. No football, and I don't watch any other sports. Even better, no NEWS. There's none of that sludge coming into our home via the television.

Admittedly, I do still read plenty of news articles, I do watch some news-related videos and an occasional live stream. But the days of having cable news droning on for hours via the TV are over.

I will admit, I'm looking forward to the return of the Buckeyes and Big Ten football later this month, although it's unlikely I'll give up my Saturday afternoons to watch any other than the most "important" games.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-07-2020, 01:37 AM

(10-06-2020, 04:35 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 12:35 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: State park for me. Time to hit the trails!

Yes, this is perfect weather for it. Thumbsup

There is a trail entrance into a fairly large state park a little more than 2 miles from my house. It’s mile walk into the park to get to most of the amenities, like a lake, pool, a huge amphitheater, museum, and snack bar (when open). Tons of walking and biking trails. I’m thinking about heading over today for an hour or so to check out a few more trails. Took the misses with me yesterday, walked around and had a picnic lunch. Sure beats sitting in the house.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-07-2020, 01:37 AM

(10-05-2020, 08:47 PM)McSteeler Wrote: You're a lucky man, Brother.

McSteel, good to see you posting.
McSteeler
Hall of Famer

10-07-2020, 11:50 AM

Hey Kids! Good to see you too.
I'm sofa-surfing til the covid-crap dies down. ill have some NICE money headed my way to supplement my pay... Then time permitting im coming to all your houses..lol.

mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-12-2020, 11:44 AM

So... what did y'all do today?
Rollers
Hall of Famer

10-12-2020, 10:55 PM

My son and three of his friends did 2 gun all day. That's the good news. The bad news? I blew through 200 bucks of ammo. It was worth every penny. Lately he has helped me with my depression. He and his friends put up with an old man joining them to shoot. I love my son
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-13-2020, 12:42 AM

(10-12-2020, 11:44 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: So... what did y'all do today?

Rainy day, all day constant downpour. Stayed in, watched movies, ate some leftover pot roast from the day before.

Today it’s cloudy with drizzle. 4th day with rain in a row. Good news is we had our yard core ariated and overseeded two weeks ago. The extra water certainly has a profound effect.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-14-2020, 12:07 PM

Did a 10K last weekend with a couple friends. Walked it - the knees aren't much for running anymore. - Tim, you've a gorgeous house.
Remington Steelers
Special Teamer

11-11-2020, 01:22 PM

(10-12-2020, 11:44 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: So... what did y'all do today?

I first want to say, "Good for you" on spending time with your family over a football game.  I have chosen to boycott all NFL football except...Steeler games for a couple of reasons.  

My main reason is related to a video series that documented Big Ben's struggle to come back.  I was impressed by the fact that they did not water it down.  Rather when Ben was very vocal about his faith throughout, they did not edit any of it out which most football teams might choose to do.  There were four videos approx. 25 minutes long each and I was so moved by them that I chose to watch at least one more season to see how he does this year.  Considering at the time of this writing the Steelers are having their best start in franchise history 8-0 by beating Dallas last Sunday, I am sort of glad I did.  

The other reason is primarily because the organization has backed off their political crap and focused on football, unlike other teams.  Watching also gives me some perspective when I watch the Pittsburgh Dad episodes each week.  He's definitely on top of his game this year.

I highly respect your decision to stay with your convictions and I think in the long run, you will be more happy for doing so.  I have found that just by lowering my viewing of many sports, including most other NFL games, my wife is more happy with our living arrangement and that can be a lot of fun, if you know what I mean.  God bless you my friend!!!

Tim - Remington Steelers
steelerkraut
Hall of Famer

11-12-2020, 06:02 AM

(09-21-2020, 10:18 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:  then noodled on the guitar while half-watching a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" mini-marathon. Pi_bigsmile
Prettay.....prettay...prettay.....good! Pi_bigsmile
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-12-2020, 05:38 PM

(11-12-2020, 06:02 AM)steelerkraut Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 10:18 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:  then noodled on the guitar while half-watching a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" mini-marathon. Pi_bigsmile
Prettay.....prettay...prettay.....good! Pi_bigsmile

Pi_bigsmile  Love that show, man. Thumbsup
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-12-2020, 05:50 PM

(11-11-2020, 01:22 PM)Remington Steelers Wrote: I first want to say, "Good for you" on spending time with your family over a football game.  I have chosen to boycott all NFL football except...Steeler games for a couple of reasons.  

My main reason is related to a video series that documented Big Ben's struggle to come back.  I was impressed by the fact that they did not water it down.  Rather when Ben was very vocal about his faith throughout, they did not edit any of it out which most football teams might choose to do.  There were four videos approx. 25 minutes long each and I was so moved by them that I chose to watch at least one more season to see how he does this year.  Considering at the time of this writing the Steelers are having their best start in franchise history 8-0 by beating Dallas last Sunday, I am sort of glad I did.  

The other reason is primarily because the organization has backed off their political crap and focused on football, unlike other teams.  Watching also gives me some perspective when I watch the Pittsburgh Dad episodes each week.  He's definitely on top of his game this year.

I highly respect your decision to stay with your convictions and I think in the long run, you will be more happy for doing so.  I have found that just by lowering my viewing of many sports, including most other NFL games, my wife is more happy with our living arrangement and that can be a lot of fun, if you know what I mean.  God bless you my friend!!!

Tim - Remington Steelers

I will tell you, I don't miss it. It's kinda like the old days before NFL Sunday ticket when the games often wouldn't be broadcast where we lived, so we'd score-watch and catch the highlights after the game. 

We've made it a point to do fun things together as a family each weekend, and I wouldn't trade a minute of it. Life is better without wasting an entire day watching the $#!t product the NFL now offers. I still love the Steelers and I'm glad every time they win. But they aren't even remotely worth the staggering amount of weekend daylight hours I've invested in them over the years. 

I can't help but laugh at the irony of the Steelers starting 8-0 the year I decide to bail on the NFL. But in some ways, it's making it easier because now I don't want to jinx them by watching.  Laugh

I'm not superstitious... but I'm a little 'stitious (with apologies to Michael Scott).  Pi_bigsmile
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

11-13-2020, 04:37 AM

I've been going to the shooting range for the most part. I typed a few games when they're shown here and watch them on my time, not family time.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

11-13-2020, 06:56 AM

One week-end, not sure which one now I put up a new ceiling fan in my home office. Talk about monkeys and footballs, man there should be an easier way for these to get installed.

Next - Minkah, #39!