1979 AFC Championship Steelers 27 Oilers 13
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-04-2017, 12:03 PM

1979 AFC Championship Steelers 27 Oilers 13

This game serves as a concise resume' of Steelers/Oilers football during the late '70's: Tough, competetive and above all, incredibly physical. Joe Greene (who plays a legendary game) and the rest of the Steel Curtain put on an unbelievable performance, limiting the great Earl Campbell to just 17 yards in 15 attempts. The game starts with Vernon Perry (fresh off his 4-INT performance vs Dan Fouts) returning a Bradshaw INT 75 yards for a TD. Bradshaw cooly responds by picking apart the Houston secondary for the rest of the afternoon, hitting Stallworth and Cunningham for TDs before halftime. This game features Mike Renfro's famous "no catch" in the back corner of the end zone, denying the Oilers a clear TD. Give the battered Oilers credit; they really hang tough and are never truly out of it until Bradshaw engineers a late, time-consuming TD drive at the end to finally put the Oilers away with less than a minute left in the game. 
Marc
Rookie

07-29-2017, 10:17 PM

This game is best remembered for the blown TD call but what I forgot was how much the Steelers outplayed the Oilers in the game. After rewatching I have little doubt Pittsburgh would have won the game had the call been correctly made. I enjoyed the pre & post game coverage. Thanks for posting this.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-30-2017, 01:57 AM

(07-29-2017, 10:17 PM)Marc Wrote: This game is best remembered for the blown TD call but what I forgot was how much the Steelers outplayed the Oilers in the game.  After rewatching I have little doubt Pittsburgh would have won the game had the call been correctly made.  I enjoyed the pre & post game coverage.  Thanks for posting this.

Glad you enjoyed it, and I totally agree with you; the Steelers thoroughly outplayed Houston in this game and were not going to be denied. Verron Perry's INT for a TD made the game look closer than it really was. Starting about midway through the 2nd quarter, the Steelers took control and really throttled the Oilers. 

To me, one look at the rushing yardage tells the story: Pittsburgh 36 runs for 161 yds, Houston 22 runs for 24 yds. Pastorini played a really solid game, but so did Bradshaw.

In my opinion, Houston was only "in" this game due to the absence of Jack Ham. You go back and look at who made big receiving gains for Houston, it was the exact guys Ham would've been covering: RB's coming out of the backfield. RB's Tim Wilson and Ronnie Coleman had catches of 41 & 32 yds (the two longest plays of the game by either team). Those were the exact kinds of plays Jack Ham made a living blowing up. Houston completed 20 passes, 15 of which were to RB's. The Hammer would've stopped that $#!t cold.
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

08-06-2017, 11:04 PM

Before the game, there's part of a feature on Chuck Noll that includes comments from, among others, Ray Mansfield, Rocky Bleier, and Myron Cope.
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

08-08-2017, 03:21 AM

NBC's postgame features interviews with Noll (who hilariously plays dumb about the Renfro non-catch). Bradshaw, and Joe Greene. Sam Nover interviews Dan Pastorini, and Vito Stellino of the Post-Gazette confirms that Renfro was thought to have been juggling the ball as his feet came down. He looked like he was; whether it would have been enough for the call to be confirmed by today's replay system is hard to say. The way the Steelers were playing, all that would have changed was the final margin of victory.`

Following that, there's more postgame from WIIC-TV. Sam Nover (still wearing his NBC blazer, by the way) tries several times to get various players to say that Super Bowl XIV will be anticlimactic, but they refuse to bite (as well they should have; the Rams gave them a hell of a game.)
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017, 10:45 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
Bobcat29
Special Teamer

08-13-2017, 12:22 AM

No doubt the official's blew the call but,the Steelers scored the last 10 points of the game. Houston was not going to win this game.
Unregistered

09-08-2017, 08:50 AM

(08-13-2017, 12:22 AM)Bobcat29 Wrote: No doubt the official's blew the call but,the Steelers scored the last 10 points of the game. Houston was not going to win this game.

Tim,

Do you happen to have the 1979 Broncos @ Oilers AFC Wildcard Game?  It was the only home playoff game for the Oilers during the "Luv-Ya-Blue" era.  If so, would you be able to post the game at some point?

Thanks,

Paul
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-08-2017, 11:34 AM

(09-08-2017, 08:50 AM)Guest Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 12:22 AM)Bobcat29 Wrote: No doubt the official's blew the call but,the Steelers scored the last 10 points of the game. Houston was not going to win this game.

Tim,

Do you happen to have the 1979 Broncos @ Oilers AFC Wildcard Game?  It was the only home playoff game for the Oilers during the "Luv-Ya-Blue" era.  If so, would you be able to post the game at some point?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi, Paul. Yes, I do have that game. Houston was my 2nd favorite team in the '70s. I also have the great Oilers/Cowboys game from '79 and several others. I will post them at some point.
James Tressler
Rookie

09-13-2017, 12:36 AM

This James, the Pittsburgher now living in Istanbul (birthplace of Tunc Ilkin "Tunc" means Bronze in Turkish by the way). I had to re-register because I'm using a different computer. Anyway at 99:25 Joe Greene lines up on the nose tackle and drops Campbell for a loss. Merlin Olsen comments that Joe Greene and the Steelers seem to have extra oxygen. No, extra incentive! As L.C. Greenwood once said, the finances were not there for most players in the 1970s. So if you made it to the AFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl, you could make more than you made all year. That was the difference. The older players like Greene and Greenwood had a taste of the money. The Oilers really didn't know what they were missing!