1981 Steelers 21 at Seahawks 24
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-13-2017, 11:41 PM

1981 Steelers 21 at Seahawks 24

Franco breaks 10,000 career rushing yards as the Steelers snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Early in the 2nd, Bradshaw hits a WIDE open Mark Malone for a team record 90-yd TD bomb and a 14-3 lead. The Steelers are up 21-3 and seem to be in control when they inexplicably allow Doornink to turn a short pass into a 44-yd TD and the Seahawks are suddenly back in it at 21-10. Trout misses a long 3rd qtr FG attempt that looks more like a squib kick. Early in 4th, Doornink again victimizes Pittsburgh with a short pass that turns into a 34-yd gain to set up a short TD. The crowd is suddenly into it, Seattle has momentum and Zorn hits Largent with a 53-yd bomb to set up another short TD and a 24-21 Seattle lead. Bradshaw responds with a pass to Franco that appears to go for an 82-yd TD, but a questionable holding call overturns the score. The Steelers get one last shot, driving to the Seattle 5 with 20 seconds left when in trots David Trout. Poised to send the game to overtime, Trout misses BADLY with what is probably the worst short kick I've ever seen. Perfect snap, pefect hold with the ball placed on the right hash. Trout hooks it so badly that the ball sails FAR wide left. Another game down the tubes due largely to Trout's horrible kicking. Game features Rocky Bleier in the booth for color commentary. 
Unregistered

06-14-2017, 03:53 AM

I had always wanted to see the Malone 90 yard td catch and never thought I would. In todays game they would of broke that play down and had different angles showing the breakdown in coverage for him to be that wide open.
Trout single handedly ruined that season for the Steelers in my opinion.He was God awful.
Franco's 80 plus yard catch and run was a thing of beauty...to bad it didn't count. Keith Butler (#53) for the Seahawks was signaling to the sideline while the refs were discussing the penalty.

'81 was a rough season.

Sal
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-14-2017, 08:11 AM

(06-14-2017, 03:53 AM)Guest Wrote: I had always wanted to see the Malone 90 yard td catch and never thought I would. In todays game they would of broke that play down and had different angles showing the breakdown in coverage for him to be that wide open.
Trout single handedly ruined that season for the Steelers in my opinion.He was God awful.
Franco's 80 plus yard catch and run was a thing of beauty...to bad it didn't count. Keith Butler (#53) for the Seahawks was signaling to the sideline while the refs were discussing the penalty.

'81 was a rough season.

Sal

Yeah, to this day, I despise David Trout. Pi_supermad Pi_supermad Pi_supermad Worst kicker I have ever seen in terms of accuracy (or lack thereof). I don't understand why Noll never made a change? Trout was a problem from opening day and he hurt us all season long. Maybe there was some sort of rule in those days that was stopping him? I can't imagine what it would be, but I also can't imagine why Noll would stick with a guy the entire season who was so f-ing terrible???  Sick Sick Sick Pi_freak
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

06-14-2017, 09:27 AM

Speaking of games on YouTube, when are you putting the '86 Jets game that's already on your channel up on this site? Did you just forget, or are you waiting for a special time or something?
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2017, 09:27 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-14-2017, 09:38 AM

(06-14-2017, 09:27 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Speaking of games on YouTube, when are you putting the '86 Jets game that's already on your channel up on this site? Did you just forget, or are you waiting for a special time or something?

I'm just kind of working my way to it. I'm trying to finish the '80s, but I like to mix in games from the '90s here and there. I can only upload 20GB per week, so I just kind of pick and choose whatever interests me or I'll add something when I get a request (I'll be adding the '93 Dolphins game this week by request, for example). 

I'll make sure I add that '86 Jets game to the cue for next week.  Thumbsup
Unregistered

06-14-2017, 02:53 PM

How can you miss a FG from the 5-yard line? Jeez ... It's strange and frustrating how, in both '80 and '81, our playoff hopes were seriously derailed by the kicking game. We lost two or three games in '80 because of failed kicks, and a few more the following season. Now I understand why Noll went and got Gary Anderson. Having said that, however, this game shows another disturbing trend in those years, where the Steelers would build a big lead, then blow it late, allowing teams to sneak back into the game.
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

06-14-2017, 04:26 PM

I didn't know you had upload restrictions. Don't rush to put up any games just on my account; I was curious, that's all.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2017, 04:27 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-14-2017, 05:34 PM

(06-14-2017, 02:53 PM)Guest Wrote: How can you miss a FG from the 5-yard line? Jeez ... It's strange and frustrating how, in both '80 and '81, our playoff  hopes were seriously derailed by the kicking game. We lost two or three games in '80 because of failed kicks, and a few more the following season. Now I understand why Noll went and got Gary Anderson. 

Yes, Gary Anderson was MONEY (unless you're a Vikings fan). Think of the confidence Noll had in Anderson in the '89 WIldcard game vs. Houston. When Anderson lined up for that MONSTER 50-yarder to win the game in OT, was there any doubt? A FG like that would've been impossible with Trout or Bahr.

Sometimes, in my darkest moments, I still wish evil things upon David Trout...  Laugh (juuuuust kidding... I haven't done that in years)  Pi_bigsmile

(06-14-2017, 02:53 PM)Guest Wrote: Having said that, however, this game shows another disturbing trend in those years, where the Steelers would build a big lead, then blow it late, allowing teams to sneak back into the game.

Agreed. It was incredibly frustrating! No lead seemed to be safe as the team entered the '80s which was in STARK contrast to the teams of '78-'79, who would blow games open by finally "breaking" teams in late in the game and scoring multiple 4th quarter TDs. As you said, the teams of the early '80s would have a healthy lead and only to collapse late with sloppy play. It didn't make my middle school years any easier living in the heart of Browns country.  Nerd
Unregistered

06-14-2017, 09:03 PM

Not sure exactly when Mean Joe said he had a pinched nerve in his shoulder and lost strength in his arm late in his career but I believe when this happened it weakened the defense considerably since they were the heart of those strong defenses of the 70's and were handicapped from 1980 on.

Also didn't help that Swann and Stallworth had a hard time being on the field at the same time due to injuries in the early 80's.

I also believe offensively that when Bleier retired the heart of the backfield was missing since he was great in all aspects with his blocking, running and receiving skills.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-14-2017, 10:01 PM

(06-14-2017, 09:03 PM)Guest Wrote: Not sure exactly when Mean Joe said he had a pinched nerve in his shoulder and lost strength in his arm late in his career but I believe when this happened it weakened the defense considerably since they were the heart of those strong defenses of the 70's and were handicapped from 1980 on.

Also didn't help that Swann and Stallworth had a hard time being on the field at the same time due to injuries in the early 80's.

I also believe offensively that when Bleier retired the heart of the backfield was missing since he was great in all aspects with his blocking, running and receiving skills.

Agreed on all counts. 

Believe it or not, I think Greene's shoulder injury goes all the way back to 1975. In an interview, Greene mentions his shoulder as the reason he couldn't pick Swann all the way up after his concussion in the '75 AFC Championship vs. Oakland. Seems like maybe this was part of the "America's Game" for 1975? Can't remember. Regardless, he was still able to perform at a high level for the next several years.

By '80, I think Joe was just in overall decline. He did still have moments where he showed flashes of what he once was, but they were few and far between. 

The roller coaster of injuries to Swann and Stallworth was particularly damaging. Swann was never truly healthy again after '78 and losing Stallworth in '80 was a playoff killer (that, and the fact that the defense only managed 17 sacks in 1980, which is mind-blowingly low). 

I've been enjoying these games from the '80s again, but I'm also reliving the frustration of them. '81 gave unpleasant clarity to the fact that '80 wasn't a fluke. 

'82 was actually a really fun season, though, in spite of the strike. The way we opened against really strong opposition made me feel like that team had the potential to beat anyone in the league. It's a shame that we allowed San Diego to come back and escape with a victory.
Luther
Special Teamer

06-15-2017, 11:58 AM

Thank you for this game! Get to see Mark Malone's 91 yd TD reception! Also to see how they blew a 21 to 3 lead!
Unregistered

06-15-2017, 07:00 PM

Why didn't the Steelers just call up Roy Gerela? He couldn't have done any worse than Trout.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-15-2017, 07:51 PM

(06-15-2017, 11:58 AM)Luther Wrote: Thank you for this game! Get to see Mark Malone's 91 yd TD reception! Also to see how they blew a 21 to 3 lead!

You're welcome!  Thumbsup
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-15-2017, 07:55 PM

(06-15-2017, 07:00 PM)Guest Wrote: Why didn't the Steelers just call up Roy Gerela? He couldn't have done any worse than Trout.

Yeah, it's one of the great Chuck Noll mysteries to me. I remember Bradshaw saying once in a pregame show (discussing the losing streak of a team, maybe the Eagles and Randall Cunningham?), "I never would've had the chance to lose 4 games in a row. I would've been outta there after 3, maybe 2." 

And yet... David Trout. "It's A mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma."  Scared