No Bell
Rollers
Hall of Famer

06-14-2017, 08:14 PM

Guess he's making known his displeasure.  Nice thing to happen before Camp.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

06-14-2017, 11:49 PM

(06-14-2017, 08:14 PM)Rollers Wrote: Guess he's making known his displeasure.  Nice thing to happen before Camp.
Still recovering from surgery and really, no need for him to be there. No worries here. Opening day he's not there, then we have a problem. My guess is he will be there, contract or tagged, and playing like the best RB in the league.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

06-15-2017, 12:07 PM

Tomlin did not seem happy he wasn't there. Not sure what that means
McSteeler
Hall of Famer

06-18-2017, 03:43 AM

Maybe Tomlin considers it a lack of discipline and...um...never mind....

If you can read this thank a teacher.
If it's in English thank a soldier.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

06-18-2017, 07:37 AM

(06-18-2017, 03:43 AM)McSteeler Wrote: Maybe Tomlin considers it a lack of discipline and...um...never mind....

hmmm  never bothered him before?
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-18-2017, 10:32 AM

If he's injured and recovering he wouldn't be on the field anyway so it's selfish that he's not there.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

06-18-2017, 11:16 AM

If his Teammates and his coach aren't happy about it, they may know more then we do... Might not be injury related >
Rollers
Hall of Famer

06-19-2017, 10:53 AM

(06-18-2017, 11:16 AM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: If his Teammates and his coach aren't happy about it, they may know more then we do... Might not be injury related >

well I don't think we can read to much into it at this point.  I was just kind of taken back by Coach Tomlin's response.  I mean he sounded totally off his feed.  I thought he's say something like well he's injured and doesn't have a contract, he'll be here for camp.  We'll see how it plays out.  Somebody posted a really good read on it as a response to me.  Look that up.  It was really good
Krunch
Hall of Famer

06-20-2017, 12:12 AM

Interesting Spin on ESPN regarding Bell and the diminished value of running backs in the NFL.  He might be making more than the Steelers' will pay with another team and never get close to winning a ring for himself.  I'm thinking he's gone next season.  He is a phenomenal weapon and would hate to see him go, but with his baggage and injury streak might be for the best.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-20-2017, 08:48 PM

(06-20-2017, 12:12 AM)Krunch Wrote: Interesting Spin on ESPN regarding Bell and the diminished value of running backs in the NFL.  He might be making more than the Steelers' will pay with another team and never get close to winning a ring for himself.  I'm thinking he's gone next season.  He is a phenomenal weapon and would hate to see him go, but with his baggage and injury streak might be for the best.

I tend to agree. He is an amazing talent and he's a key ingredient to this team getting to and winning a Super Bowl this year. But he's immature, he hasn't proven to be durable so far and he has baggage with the multiple substance violations. If it was my money being spent, I don't trust him enough on several levels to invest huge dollars in his future. He strikes me as a back that flashes brilliantly for a short time and then disappears for any number of reasons. 

I hope I'm wrong about him and he has a long, productive career. But when I look at Bell, I kinda see Terrell Davis + Ricky Williams.  Pi_freak
sandfan
Hall of Famer

06-20-2017, 09:39 PM

I think he might be worth a big money deal for 2017 because the team seems to be primed for a shot at the title. I believe his current deal would pay him double what the next highest paid back will get. He's good but I don't think he's that good. Taking a $12 million shot this year may be a reasonable gamble. Ben's not getting any younger so the window is closing.

He's a drug/suspension risk. That's a major red flag when one thinks about a long term $40-50 million contract. He seems to be injury prone. Maybe bad luck or maybe he's brittle? None the less when you look at the package he's missed significant playing time and big games.

I'd be tempted to look to move him for draft choices or a true shut down corner. Especially for 2018. I fear, as the league looks at his risk profile, the corner option is slim to none. The way the league values running backs the draft choice option might also not be overly rich. He's been a great asset and fun to watch. But the associated risks would concern me if I ran the team and provide a major offset to his productivity.
Krunch
Hall of Famer

06-21-2017, 02:55 AM

"I'd be tempted to look to move him for draft choices or a true shut down corner. Especially for 2018."

1000% agree on the shut down corner.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-21-2017, 04:04 AM

Teams that have a shutdown corner aren't going to give that up for an injury prone back who can't stop getting suspended.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

07-18-2017, 07:55 AM

https://twitter.com/Steel_Curtain4/statu...8790330368
sandfan
Hall of Famer

07-19-2017, 07:10 AM

After working a deal for AV, who seems have developed into a more than serviceable left tackle with a good attitude and commitment, I'd move to get one done for Shazier the Tuitt. All three are key to short and long term success.

I'll admit Bell is also one of those but he seems to have an inflated view of his value and that makes a deal much more difficult. He's not worth almost double the value of the next highest paid backs in the league. He's a great player and a dual threat but even that has limits when it comes to managing a cap within the way the game has changed. Durability and substance abuse must enter into any contract discussion. Bell may try to downplay or ignore those issues but the team should not.

Bell needs to buy an insurance contract that will insure future cash flow. He has plenty of dollars to do so under the current offer. A reasonably prudent approach a mature player would consider and take.

The worst case scenarios would be a hold out or locker room cancer. A mature player would realize those actions would erode future value with any team. A key word in all of this is mature. Steeler fans have to hope he gets it.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

07-19-2017, 07:55 AM

At this point on, I would consider Bell gone. Franchise for one or two more years but his attitude is he's already gone. Id start worrying about paying the rest of the players and his replacement in a year or two. Don't get me wrong, he's good, but not at his cost and attitude. He turned down a $15 Mil a year from what I heard.
Steelwolf
Special Teamer

07-19-2017, 12:14 PM

Not liking bells attitude and hopefully he plays with a straight head and comes back to the table next go around and can make a deal that will allow the steelers to keep competing and sign key players. As much as I hate tomy Brady he always took the cuts to.sign.guys that help win
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

07-20-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:I'd be tempted to look to move him for draft choices or a true shut down corner. Especially for 2018. I fear, as the league looks at his risk profile, the corner option is slim to none. The way the league values running backs the draft choice option might also not be overly rich. He's been a great asset and fun to watch. But the associated risks would concern me if I ran the team and provide a major offset to his productivity.

Nice as that pipedream is, the Steelers practically NEVER trade a high caliber player like Bell away.
They make their best offer to keep them around or let them walk.

Quote:Teams that have a shutdown corner aren't going to give that up for an injury prone back who can't stop getting suspended.

Bingo!  Thumbsup

Quote:Not liking bells attitude and hopefully he plays with a straight head and comes back to the table next go around and can make a deal that will allow the steelers to keep competing and sign key players. As much as I hate tomy Brady he always took the cuts to.sign.guys that help win

Quite frankly, I actually think that Bell trying to negotiate the best possible deal for himself is probably the LEAST dumb thing that he's done in his career thus far.
That's not to say that I think the Steelers weren't just as smart to hold out and force him to prove himself this year before revisiting negotiations after 2017.

Personally, I think people are reading WAY more into this than it deserves.
I just got done responding to some other fella on facebook who was trying to spout off about how the "greedy" players are the reason that ticket prices are so high  Eyes
I tried to explain that ticket prices have less to do with what players are getting paid and more to do with owners figuring out the best market value to fill their seats (which explains why a $100 seat at a Steelers game = approximately $25 and a used Taco Bell napkin at a Browns game)
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2017, 11:12 AM by SteelThePain82.)
Steelwolf
Special Teamer

07-20-2017, 12:38 PM

(07-20-2017, 11:10 AM)SteelThePain82 Wrote:
Quote:I'd be tempted to look to move him for draft choices or a true shut down corner. Especially for 2018. I fear, as the league looks at his risk profile, the corner option is slim to none. The way the league values running backs the draft choice option might also not be overly rich. He's been a great asset and fun to watch. But the associated risks would concern me if I ran the team and provide a major offset to his productivity.

Nice as that pipedream is, the Steelers practically NEVER trade a high caliber player like Bell away.
They make their best offer to keep them around or let them walk.

Quote:Teams that have a shutdown corner aren't going to give that up for an injury prone back who can't stop getting suspended.

Bingo!  Thumbsup

Quote:Not liking bells attitude and hopefully he plays with a straight head and comes back to the table next go around and can make a deal that will allow the steelers to keep competing and sign key players. As much as I hate tomy Brady he always took the cuts to.sign.guys that help win

Quite frankly, I actually think that Bell trying to negotiate the best possible deal for himself is probably the LEAST dumb thing that he's done in his career thus far.
That's not to say that I think the Steelers weren't just as smart to hold out and force him to prove himself this year before revisiting negotiations after 2017.

Personally, I think people are reading WAY more into this than it deserves.
I just got done responding to some other fella on facebook who was trying to spout off about how the "greedy" players are the reason that ticket prices are so high  Eyes
I tried to explain that ticket prices have less to do with what players are getting paid and more to do with owners figuring out the best market value to fill their seats (which explains why a $100 seat at a Steelers game = approximately $25 and a used Taco Bell napkin at a Browns game)

I can agree with that, I do think the steelers are smart to the point bells never finished a season without an injury or suspended(hopefully we have passed all that mess) we know Bell is a monster but for how long , i would hate to see another woodley situation in regards to the long term cap
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

07-22-2017, 05:52 AM

I believe if a player is suspended for drug usage their salary is removed from the cap. I may be wrong, but I don't think in that aspect its a risk. If he is suspended his salary comes off the cap.

No Risk it - No Biscuit - Bruce Arians