Tomlin...
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-20-2021, 02:03 PM

Well, I only saw one game all season, and it was the playoff debacle vs. Cleveland. 

Above all, the coaching in the game was pathetic. Despicable. An absolute embarrassment. 

From the opening snap, the team looked totally unprepared. And then, just as it looked like they were on the verge of an epic comeback... Tomlin turtles on 4th and 1. Major f---ing shrinkage! 

One and done in the playoffs. Again. An embarrassingly slow start in a playoff game. Again. A wasted season with a Hall of Fame QB. Again. 

I can't help but wonder what it will it take for the Rooney's to cut Coach Tomlin loose? I didn't see the season, but looking at the playoff game vs. Cleveland, how in the HELL did Pittsburgh manage to win 5 games, let alone 12? 

I guess I really don't have much room to bitch since I took the season off. But Tomlin didn't show up, either, and he's the damn coach. 

Am I wrong about this?
Noll and Cowher teams no more
SmashMouth and Blitzburgh!

01-20-2021, 07:12 PM

Tomlin had his team unprepared and uninspired. Whole organization went into that game like it was the last preseason game or worse than that, a pickup game that they were forced to play.

How Pouncey continues to be picked a probowler is beyond me. Dude has been below average the past five seasons.

Watched the Saints/Bucs game and old man Brees successfully converted a 4th and 1 twice and old man Brady did it once by running the play....wait is everybody sitting down....a quarterback sneak.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2021, 08:56 PM by Noll and Cowher teams no more.)
sandfan
Hall of Famer

01-20-2021, 11:13 PM

Sadly, Rooney will not look past what I feel is underperformance and consider moving on from Tomlin.  Shedding assistants will not work.  In 13 years, with a HOF QB and fairly solid rosters, he's won one Lombardi.  Missed the playoffs 5 times and one and done seems to be the new standard.  

The decision to punt shows he indeed lives in his fears.  Momentum is a major factor in sports.  Tomlin's game management (tactics and strategy) has been disappointing but never more so than that decision.  Cowher liked to turtle and run the ball but he never had the QB to do otherwise.  Reid made the right call because his team seemed to be prepared for the situation.  Tomlin, not so much.

I watched the game to have a basis upon which to communicate with my Pittsburgh family.  I'm sorry I did.  The team was embarrassed from the first snap and, although they had a chance to right the wrongs, Tomlin snatched it away.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-21-2021, 12:20 AM

When you can beat your opponent and keep them out of the playoffs you. Once again Tomlin fiddles around in what in his mind was a "meaningless game" the week before and loses to the Browns, allowing them into the playoffs, only to lose to them the following week. Doug Peterson was fired for shanigans like this in Philly, but hence our standard is the standard.

I look for more of the same moving forward. But Tomlin now has the distinct honor of losing to a team without a head-coach. A team that was COVID ridden and had very little if any practices. Losing at home no less.

But look on the bright-side, Tomlin has never had a losing record.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

01-21-2021, 01:59 PM

... Not sure what to expect next season. Ben doesn't move very well. But I still have confidence in him.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-23-2021, 06:50 AM

well at least we get a few new coaches. We'll have to see what happens. I don't like Butler still being here though.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

01-24-2021, 12:53 PM

I don't mind saying it: It'll be a cold day in hell before the Rooney's are seen firing a black head coach.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

02-10-2021, 04:15 AM

(01-20-2021, 02:03 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Well, I only saw one game all season, and it was the playoff debacle vs. Cleveland. 

Above all, the coaching in the game was pathetic. Despicable. An absolute embarrassment. 

From the opening snap, the team looked totally unprepared. And then, just as it looked like they were on the verge of an epic comeback... Tomlin turtles on 4th and 1. Major f---ing shrinkage! 

One and done in the playoffs. Again. An embarrassingly slow start in a playoff game. Again. A wasted season with a Hall of Fame QB. Again. 

I can't help but wonder what it will it take for the Rooney's to cut Coach Tomlin loose? I didn't see the season, but looking at the playoff game vs. Cleveland, how in the HELL did Pittsburgh manage to win 5 games, let alone 12? 

I guess I really don't have much room to bitch since I took the season off. But Tomlin didn't show up, either, and he's the damn coach. 

Am I wrong about this?

I know I said I would’t watch the NFL, but via NFL Game rewind, I got a pretty good idea of what was going on. 

The brain trust (coaching staff, medical team, and ownership) came to the conclusion that Ben was not going to get hit as the #1 offensive objective. Hence, OL in a 2 point stance and backpedaling about as fast as they could at the snap of the ball. Because of that Ben couldn’t play under center, and he had a little more than 2 seconds to get the ball out of his hands. Once they got a handle on the D, which usually took most of the 1st half to figure out how to block it up, Ben could then throw the ball downfield. 

As for the running game, two things. Running from a two point stance, generating the leverage to drive block is about impossible. Because the tackles are back as far as they can get to prevent getting beat around the edge, the counter trap does not function as well.

The second thing is you are what you practice. If all you are practicing are pass plays, specifically pass projection techniques, the running game will suffer. With the CBA, there is limited hours on padded practices. Considering, Ben doesn’t practice on a Wednesday, I’m going to assume that is the day running plays are practiced. No point in having you Franchise QB handing off the football.

IMO, if Ben can’t take being hit, he need to call it a career.