DeCastro
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

02-14-2021, 01:24 AM

There is an article on Steeler Depot about Ramon Foster’s quote that DeCastro may not retire a Steeler. 

DeCastro occupies a goodly chunk of cap space. He should be very marketable as a one year rental, or the new team could extend his contract. This would net the Steelers his entire 2021 cap space plus maybe some draft pics hopefully. If he is a cap casualty, it will open up over  $8 million in 2021 cap space.

One further point, DeCastro will be an unrestricted FA at the end of 2021, and from the looks of things, not likely to get another contract.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

02-14-2021, 06:45 AM

(02-14-2021, 01:24 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: There is an article on Steeler Depot about Ramon Foster’s quote that DeCastro may not retire a Steeler. 

DeCastro occupies a goodly chunk of cap space. He should be very marketable as a one year rental, or the new team could extend his contract. This would net the Steelers his entire 2021 cap space plus maybe some draft pics hopefully. If he is a cap casualty, it will open up over  $8 million in 2021 cap space.

One further point, DeCastro will be an unrestricted FA at the end of 2021, and from the looks of things, not likely to get another contract.

I think he has a very good chance to get into the HOF.  Ideally he would retire a Steeler and make his entry without any muddying of that water.  However, a number of players have extended their career via another team with minimal ill effect.

The idea of trading seasoned players for draft choices has often been raised.  Considering current cap implications the timing for that type of move seems more attractive than ever.  I imagine every general manager has that thought in mind save those with lots of excess cap bucks in their coffers.

If I were Colbert I'd push the idea as hard as possible.  Most contenders should be very happy to add him as a piece to get over a hump.