Super Bowl XIV Steelers 31 vs Rams 19
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Super Bowl XIV Steelers 31 vs Rams 19

MVP Terry Bradshaw combines with Swann and Stallworth to bring the Steelers back to win in a close, competitive game versus a tenacious Rams team! Los Angeles didn't figure to put a dent in the Steel Curtain, but as a wise man once said... that's why they play the games. After sleepwalking through a somewhat lackluster first half (and consequently trailing 13-10), the Steelers open the 2nd half with a picture perfect 47-yard Bradshaw bomb to Swann, who makes a breathtaking leaping grab over double-coverage for the TD. Pittsburgh's lead is short-lived, however, as the Rams score quickly on a stunning halfback option pass to sieze the momentum right back. A game-ending injury to Swann and two Bradshaw INT's send the Steelers into the 4th quarter trailing 19-17. But Bradshaw, as always, is resilient. On 3rd and 8 from the Steelers 27, Bradshaw lets loose a rocket to Stallworth deep down the middle for a 73-yard TD. Terry's pass proves to be the winning score in a game which saw the lead change hands six times. The Rams threaten to once again take the lead late in the 4th when Jack Lambert steps in front of a Ferragamo pass for an interception to ensure a Pittsburgh victory. Terry follows up with a 50-yard bomb to Stallworth to set up an insurance TD and bring Art Rooney a fourth Lombardi Trophy. Some pre game and lots of post game interviews with Noll, Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth, and more. 
Unregistered

05-19-2017, 09:06 PM

Interesting decision by Chuck to have an onside kick following the FG in the first quarter. He was gambling with the idea that the Steelers could blow the game open early. Unfortunately, it backfired. The Rams went on and scored a TD to take the lead and make a game of it. But that's what I love about this game. It was the first SB I watched, and it was full of back-and-forth excitement, lead changes and drama. Have been a Steeler fan ever since.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-20-2017, 12:48 AM

(05-19-2017, 09:06 PM)Guest Wrote: Interesting decision by Chuck to have an onside kick following the FG in the first quarter. He was gambling with the idea that the Steelers could blow the game open early. Unfortunately, it backfired. The Rams went on and scored a TD to take the lead and make a game of it. But that's what I love about this game. It was the first SB I watched, and it was full of back-and-forth excitement, lead changes and drama. Have been a Steeler fan ever since.

Yeah, I thought the onside kick was a great call. Didn't work, but I like the call. I do think that if we had gotten up on them by a couple of scores early, they might've folded. But we let 'em hang around and it made for a really exciting game. Six lead changes, I think? 

Terry had Swann WIDE open for a TD on that first drive, too. He just missed him... threw it too far inside and a little high. But Swann had faked the defender out of his jock and was SO wide open. 

Jack Ham was sorely missed in this game as well. It's a testament to the Steelers' depth that that the defense played as well as it did in the '79 postseason without Ham in the lineup. That said, I do think it had an impact, particularly in the Super Bowl. 

Of all the Super Bowls, this one stressed me out the most. I was 11 years old at the time and really expected the Steelers to blow the Rams out. Was on the edge of my seat with my stomach in knots the whole time.  Laugh
Unregistered

06-15-2017, 11:21 PM

Joe Greene said this game was the Steeler's golden invitation to ... golden invitation to what? Immortality? Precisely. That is what Sports Illustrated declared in their classic write-up of this, Super Bowl XIV, the lynch-pin in the Steelers' dynasty. Read the story here. https://www.si.com/vault/issue/70869/13/1
Unregistered

06-16-2017, 12:09 AM

"There are not many ways a human being can throw a football better than Bradshaw did to Stallworth on that third-and-eight play. Stallworth got inside Rod Perry, the cornerback, and behind Elmendorf, the strong safety, and took it 73 yards for a 24-19 Pittsburgh lead." Sports Illustrated, Jan. 28, 1980
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-16-2017, 08:57 PM

(06-16-2017, 12:09 AM)Guest Wrote: "There are not many ways a human being can throw a football better than Bradshaw did to Stallworth on that third-and-eight play. Stallworth got inside Rod Perry, the cornerback, and behind Elmendorf, the strong safety, and took it 73 yards for a 24-19 Pittsburgh lead." Sports Illustrated, Jan. 28, 1980

No doubt about it... that was about as pretty of a deep ball as you'll ever see. Perfect spiral without a hint of wobble, perfect arc and dead on the money.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)