Super Bowl XIV Steelers 31 vs Rams 19
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Super Bowl XIV Steelers 31 vs Rams 19

MVP Terry Bradshaw combines with Swann and Stallworth to bring the Steelers back to win in a close, competitive game versus a tenacious Rams team! Los Angeles didn't figure to put a dent in the Steel Curtain, but as a wise man once said... that's why they play the games. After sleepwalking through a somewhat lackluster first half (and consequently trailing 13-10), the Steelers open the 2nd half with a picture perfect 47-yard Bradshaw bomb to Swann, who makes a breathtaking leaping grab over double-coverage for the TD. Pittsburgh's lead is short-lived, however, as the Rams score quickly on a stunning halfback option pass to sieze the momentum right back. A game-ending injury to Swann and two Bradshaw INT's send the Steelers into the 4th quarter trailing 19-17. But Bradshaw, as always, is resilient. On 3rd and 8 from the Steelers 27, Bradshaw lets loose a rocket to Stallworth deep down the middle for a 73-yard TD. Terry's pass proves to be the winning score in a game which saw the lead change hands six times. The Rams threaten to once again take the lead late in the 4th when Jack Lambert steps in front of a Ferragamo pass for an interception to ensure a Pittsburgh victory. Terry follows up with a 50-yard bomb to Stallworth to set up an insurance TD and bring Art Rooney a fourth Lombardi Trophy. Some pre game and lots of post game interviews with Noll, Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth, and more. 
Unregistered

05-19-2017, 09:06 PM

Interesting decision by Chuck to have an onside kick following the FG in the first quarter. He was gambling with the idea that the Steelers could blow the game open early. Unfortunately, it backfired. The Rams went on and scored a TD to take the lead and make a game of it. But that's what I love about this game. It was the first SB I watched, and it was full of back-and-forth excitement, lead changes and drama. Have been a Steeler fan ever since.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-20-2017, 12:48 AM

(05-19-2017, 09:06 PM)Guest Wrote: Interesting decision by Chuck to have an onside kick following the FG in the first quarter. He was gambling with the idea that the Steelers could blow the game open early. Unfortunately, it backfired. The Rams went on and scored a TD to take the lead and make a game of it. But that's what I love about this game. It was the first SB I watched, and it was full of back-and-forth excitement, lead changes and drama. Have been a Steeler fan ever since.

Yeah, I thought the onside kick was a great call. Didn't work, but I like the call. I do think that if we had gotten up on them by a couple of scores early, they might've folded. But we let 'em hang around and it made for a really exciting game. Six lead changes, I think? 

Terry had Swann WIDE open for a TD on that first drive, too. He just missed him... threw it too far inside and a little high. But Swann had faked the defender out of his jock and was SO wide open. 

Jack Ham was sorely missed in this game as well. It's a testament to the Steelers' depth that that the defense played as well as it did in the '79 postseason without Ham in the lineup. That said, I do think it had an impact, particularly in the Super Bowl. 

Of all the Super Bowls, this one stressed me out the most. I was 11 years old at the time and really expected the Steelers to blow the Rams out. Was on the edge of my seat with my stomach in knots the whole time.  Laugh
Unregistered

06-15-2017, 11:21 PM

Joe Greene said this game was the Steeler's golden invitation to ... golden invitation to what? Immortality? Precisely. That is what Sports Illustrated declared in their classic write-up of this, Super Bowl XIV, the lynch-pin in the Steelers' dynasty. Read the story here. https://www.si.com/vault/issue/70869/13/1
Unregistered

06-16-2017, 12:09 AM

"There are not many ways a human being can throw a football better than Bradshaw did to Stallworth on that third-and-eight play. Stallworth got inside Rod Perry, the cornerback, and behind Elmendorf, the strong safety, and took it 73 yards for a 24-19 Pittsburgh lead." Sports Illustrated, Jan. 28, 1980
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-16-2017, 08:57 PM

(06-16-2017, 12:09 AM)Guest Wrote: "There are not many ways a human being can throw a football better than Bradshaw did to Stallworth on that third-and-eight play. Stallworth got inside Rod Perry, the cornerback, and behind Elmendorf, the strong safety, and took it 73 yards for a 24-19 Pittsburgh lead." Sports Illustrated, Jan. 28, 1980

No doubt about it... that was about as pretty of a deep ball as you'll ever see. Perfect spiral without a hint of wobble, perfect arc and dead on the money.
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

06-27-2017, 06:16 AM

Dumb what if here.

What if the Bucs had been able to muster up 10 points and beat the Rams ?

Well, for one, Doug Williams would not have been able to play so it would have been former Raider Mike Rae starting for the Bucs.

My prediction if the Bucs-Steelers played for the SB that year ?

A slow, low scoring game. Something like 17-6 Steelers. Noll probably would have wanted to run it a lot and not take any chances since the Bucs offense would have been largely non-existent.

John McKay would have run Ricky Bell 50 times (at least). Bucs probably would have run some trick plays and maybe even a little bit of wing T.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-28-2017, 02:48 PM

(06-27-2017, 06:16 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: Dumb what if here.

Well, for one, Doug Williams would not have been able to play so it would have been former Raider Mike Rae starting for the Bucs.

A slow, low scoring game. Something like 17-6 Steelers. Noll probably would have wanted to run it a lot and not take any chances since the Bucs offense would have been largely non-existent.

John McKay would have run Ricky Bell 50 times (at least). Bucs probably would have run some trick plays and maybe even a little bit of wing T.

I dunno. The Rams were one of the few teams that kinda had Pittsburgh's number in the '70s... and we still put up 31 on 'em. The Steelers were scoring machines in the '78 and '79 post-seasons. I kinda think they might've put up a 50-burger on the Bucs without Williams. 

I was happy the Bucs did as well as they did and I think the whole country kinda rooted for them a little in '79 just because they had come SO far from 0-26. But the Rams were due. They had been a bridesmaid and never a bride so many times to Dallas and Minnesota in the NFC Championship. It was finally their turn.
Unregistered

06-28-2017, 08:59 PM

Just to add to Tim's comment about the Steelers being a scoring machine during that time, they put up 31 points against Bud Carson (ex-Steelers defensive coordinator '72-'77) whom knew the team pretty well.

Sal
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

06-29-2017, 01:52 AM

(06-28-2017, 02:48 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 06:16 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: Dumb what if here.

I dunno. The Rams were one of the few teams that kinda had Pittsburgh's number in the '70s... and we still put up 31 on 'em. The Steelers were scoring machines in the '78 and '79 post-seasons. I kinda think they might've put up a 50-burger on the Bucs without Williams. 

I was happy the Bucs did as well as they did and I think the whole country kinda rooted for them a little in '79 just because they had come SO far from 0-26. But the Rams were due. They had been a bridesmaid and never a bride so many times to Dallas and Minnesota in the NFC Championship. It was finally their turn.

Yes, you very well might be right.

However, I will say with some certainty that if Doug Williams had stayed in Tampa the history of the NFC throughout the rest of the 80's would have been different.

If Williams stayed the Bucs wouldn't have gone 2-14 every year. Sure, they probably weren't good enough to go to the Super Bowl but they would have been a Wild Card contender every year.

Hugh Green, their All-Pro linebacker, wouldn't have demanded a trade, James Wilder wouldn't have been run into the ground, Jimmie Giles and Kevin House wouldn't have had their talents wasted, the Bo Jackson debacle would never have happened (b/c the Bucs wouldn't have received the first pick of the 1986 draft since they wouldn't have been 2-14 in 1985), Leeman Bennett would still be selling RV's and that idiot Ray Perkins would have stayed at Alabama.

Till this day I hate Hugh Culverhouse for what he did.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2017, 01:54 AM by thespiritof1976.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-29-2017, 02:41 AM

(06-29-2017, 01:52 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: However, I will say with some certainty that if Doug Williams had stayed in Tampa the history of the NFC throughout the rest of the 80's would have been different.

If Williams stayed the Bucs wouldn't have gone 2-14 every year. Sure, they probably weren't good enough to go to the Super Bowl but they would have been a Wild Card contender every year.

I agree 100%. Tampa Bay had a pretty solid core and an excellent defense. Ownership should've worked it out with Williams instead of low-balling him. The whole situation was awful, so who could blame him for leaving? 

In the end, Williams got the last laugh. But what a horrible domino effect it had on the Bucs.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-29-2017, 02:37 PM

Culverhouse was an idiot. He ruined the Bucs for YEARS on numerous occasions.

I think if the Steelers played the Bucs though they beat them soundly, especially without Williams.

The Rams always played the Steelers tough. They beat them the year before in 1978. They were also a battle-tested playoff team.

The Bucs inexperience may have hurt them on the NFL's biggest stage playing with their backup QB.
Unregistered

06-29-2017, 09:03 PM

Also it is worth noting that Pittsburgh traveled to Tampa Bay the following year, and even though the Steelers were aging and banged up (missing Franco, Stallworth and a number of other starters) managed to win 24-21. So I imagine that Steelers would have had an easier time with the Bucs, maybe winning it 31-7.
Bobcat29
Special Teamer

08-13-2017, 12:32 AM

Boy was I scared. This was a more competitive Super Bowl then 13. Rams were underrated due to their record of 9-7. What people forget is, the Rams were injured earlier in the season and struggled. They got healthy and back to form. Franco had a great game when you consider how important he was for the passing game 3 rec for 66 yds and they were big play's. Thankful that Dave Elmendorf dropped a sure interception. A little luck helps.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-13-2017, 02:11 AM

(08-13-2017, 12:32 AM)Bobcat29 Wrote: Thankful that Dave Elmendorf  dropped a sure interception. A little luck helps.

Oh, man. One of the biggest plays of the game, and largely overlooked. My heart goes to my throat just thinking about it. Had he held onto that ball, I think the Rams win, because he was taking it to the house and it would've put L.A. up 26-17. 

(08-13-2017, 12:32 AM)Bobcat29 Wrote: Franco had a great game when you consider how important he was for the passing game 3 rec for 66 yds and they were big play's. 

Agreed, Franco was huge in the passing game. He doesn't get enough credit for his receiving because he really wasn't utilized in the passing game until late in his career, but Franco had really good hands. 

(08-13-2017, 12:32 AM)Bobcat29 Wrote: Boy was I scared. This was a more competitive Super Bowl then 13. Rams were underrated due to their record of 9-7. What people forget is, the Rams were injured earlier in the season and struggled. They got healthy and back to form. 

People also forget that Bud Carson (one of the architects of the Steel Curtain) was their defensive coordinator. He knew Pittsburgh intimately on both sides of the ball. It's pretty amazing, you go back and read accounts from the game, the Rams actually knew a lot of our audibles and calls. It blows my mind that we didn't change things up (things like "brown" being a hot color for a audible play call, for example), but supposedly, we didn't. 

In any case, I agree... this was definitely the "scariest" of the 4 '70s Super Bowls.
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

08-14-2017, 03:20 AM

Pregame, we see all the ceremonies and pageantry, including the individual introduction of the defenses (which we'll probably never see again, since the Patriots like to come out as a team and everyone just HAS to copy them) and Art Rooney riding out to midfield to present the coin for the coin toss. Cheryl Ladd sings the National Anthem.

Postgame, there are plenty of Steeler interviews, plus the trophy presentation and a brief interview with Rams QB Vince Ferragamo. We close with a commentary from Jack Whittaker.