Najee Harris -RB -Alabama
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

04-30-2021, 01:16 PM

Steelers pick Harris#1. Solid pick, I didn’t think he would be here. 

True 3 down back, good hands, good vision, solid pass protection.

And the last RB we had named Harris didn’t do to bad.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

04-30-2021, 01:22 PM

Looks great on paper. Tape looks good. Lets get someone to block for him now.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

04-30-2021, 01:28 PM

Yes, solid pick but now we need to focus on one of the top 3 centers and a O-tackle.

Next - Minkah, #39!
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2021, 01:30 PM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

04-30-2021, 01:40 PM

Najee JEROME HARRIS.

Born to be a Steeler running back.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-30-2021, 09:51 PM

He is slow. He will not be running away from anyone. I am not impressed with this pick. He has almost zero break away runs on his highlight films. But on we go
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-30-2021, 11:19 PM

I'm no draftnick... but I really like this pick.  Thumbsup

He's straight legit. Instantly turns the RB position from a weakness to a strength. Huge upgrade over Conner. Big, strong, physical runner, good instincts, excellent pass-catcher and pass protector (more important than ever with Ben aging). What he adds to the passing game will be as important as what he brings to the running game. He also seems like a good character guy, and he'll make an immediate impact as a starter from day 1.

I have ZERO issues with this pick.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-01-2021, 01:24 AM

Yes, this is a great, solid pick that fills a huge need for the Steelers. Although I didn't think he would still be on the board proves these drafts are unpredictable after the first 5 picks or so. I only question a RB in the first as they usually have an NFL shelf life of 5 or 6 years. Be that as it is he is a great back and high character. A true 3-down back, much in the mold of Le'Veon Bell without the issues. Team first kind of guy.

Moving to the 2nd round I believe it is imperative the Steelers get a center. The top picks are still intact but look for a run early on. I almost wish the Steelers would move up in this round to snag one. I am split between Creed Humphrey or Landon Dickeson. Both are great centers but Dickerson has had knees issues in the past. I believe he is a little better than Creed but the medical issues throw up a red flag for me. Also, Josh Myers from OSU is still on board and he is not chopped lever.

Quinn Meinerz is a true dark-horse here. From a small college (Wisconsin-Whitewater) he has all the tools and showed well at the senior bowl. He could be a surprise pick, although not as polished as the aforementioned 3 centers. The last center we drafted from Wisconsin didn't do too bad, his name was Webster.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

05-01-2021, 02:14 AM

(04-30-2021, 11:19 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: I'm no draftnick... but I really like this pick.  Thumbsup

He's straight legit. Instantly turns the RB position from a weakness to a strength. Huge upgrade over Conner. Big, strong, physical runner, good instincts, excellent pass-catcher and pass protector (more important than ever with Ben aging). What he adds to the passing game will be as important as what he brings to the running game. He also seems like a good character guy, and he'll make an immediate impact as a starter from day 1.

I have ZERO issues with this pick.

WELL OH YEAH????????????????
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-01-2021, 04:33 AM

Steelers Draft Pick Najee Harris Hosts Draft Party at Homeless Shelter Where He Used to Live

A few hours before the start of the 2021 NFL draft, former Alabama star Najee Harris visited a homeless shelter, Greater Richmond Interfaith Program (GRIP), as they hosted a draft watch party in his honor.

It was a homecoming of sorts for the Steelers' No. 24 pick, as Harris, his four siblings and his parents lived in that shelter for several years growing up.

"Just to see him as a grown man with this kind of opportunity for him today and to know that he lived in this shelter among many other places their family had to move around and lives as a homeless man just speaks to [the thought that] anything is possible," Kathleen Sullivan, executive director of the Greater Richmond Interfaith Program, told ABC 7 News.

Harris wasn't just there to say hello, though. He also brought food for the current residents. He told reporters, "There was a time I needed a helping hand. They gave us an opportunity to get back on our feet. So it is my job to give back."

Returning brought back a lot of stirring memories for Harris and his family. He was in middle school when they stayed at GRIP before his family moved to Antioch.

"It was really emotional for my mom," Harris said. "Almost as if she was crying, in a way, because we have a lot of memories here. That was a time in my life when it was really low."

Harris went on to be one of Alabama's most explosive players, rushing for 1,224 yards and averaging 5.9 yards a carry as a junior in 2019. Despite looking NFL ready, he returned to the Crimson Tide as they battled for another national championship. He went on to win the Doak Walker Award as the country’s top back last season, rushing for 1,466 yards.

Next - Minkah, #39!
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 04:33 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-01-2021, 04:34 AM

In terms of character, he's the anti-Bell

Next - Minkah, #39!
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-01-2021, 05:51 AM

Najee Harris a perfect fit for Steelers

By JIM WEXELL

It may have been the most predictable Pittsburgh Steelers draft pick since Maurkice Pouncey in 2010.

Of course, head honcho here at SteelCityInsider flipped a coin between the two top backs, and it came up Travis Etienne.

Don't judge me harshly. I was just trying to be different from the rest of the guys here who predicted the Steelers would draft Najee Harris.

Even the Baltimore Ravens knew the Steelers would draft the 6-2, 230-pound running back from Alabama.

"That was Marcus," Harris said in pointing to Marcus Peters of the Ravens.

Peters was "partying" with Harris at a homeless shelter in Oakland, CA, from where Harris and his family and friends watched the draft unfold.

Hanging with one of the dirtiest of the dirty birds?

"He just told me I'm going to be playing him twice a year," Harris said with his clear eyes and massive smile. "That's what he told me all draft day to be honest. He knew before me. He said, 'I'm going to be playing you twice a year.'"

And that's what the Steelers like about Harris, that he's going to play the Ravens two, maybe even three times a year if needed.

Here's what else the Steelers like about Harris:

"Najee is as complete a back as we could hope to get at any point in the draft," started GM Kevin Colbert. "Najee has the size, he has the speed, he has the athleticism. He has the run skills to run inside and outside. Also, he can also play in the passing game as a receiver, as a blocker. He's a three-down NFL back. He played in an NFL system and really his one hidden trait is he finds invisible yards at that second level. There are times where you think he should just be going down and all of a sudden he finds six, seven, eight yards."

That hidden yardage added up. Harris is the all-time Alabama rushing leader with 3,843 yards at an eye-popping 6.0 yards per carry. He also leads Alabama in all-time rushing touchdowns with 46. He's second at Alabama with 4,624 all-purpose yards.
The Steelers love productivity.

And hidden yardage at the second level, of course.

But what else?

"He's a three-dimensional running back coming from a professional offensive system," Colbert added. "He's made NFL runs his whole career."

But, man, all of that yardage has to come with a price. Harris has 638 carries at the highest level in college football.

"You look at that and say, 'Well, the wear and tear, he's already got this many carries,' but I always look at it the other way," Colbert said. "He was a durable player, again, in an NFL-type running offense in what is one of the toughest leagues in college football. I view it as a positive because he was very durable for Alabama."

OK.

Coach, anything to add?

"A significant component that hadn't been mentioned," said Mike Tomlin, "is his professional level of conditioning. He's a guy that comes to us with a professional level of conditioning along with his pedigree. I think that could be a catalyst for him to be an immediate component to our offense and to our team."

Anything catchy?

How about a new scouting term to throw at us, like "quick to the tuck"? Anything?

"His picking vision is excellent, in terms of finding holes," Tomlin said. "He shows patience while doing that. He's a complete back. He's very good in the passing game, whether it's routes out of the backfield or aligning outside the backfield. There's not a lot of holes in his overall game."

But, of course, running backs aren't as important in the NFL these days.

It's probably why the Steelers had their pick - all the way down at No. 24 - of the first running back chosen. The story is that running backs are now devalued.

"We don't subscribe to the theory," Tomlin said.

"I've been fortunate to have been around two Hall of Fame runners in Jerome Bettis and Barry Sanders," said Colbert. "And I don't think you can ever devalue greatness at the running back position."

Greatness? Already?

Sure, Harris has piled up yardage and quality tape. But greatness takes in character, and character isn't always revealed on tape.

What kind of character could this young man possess after living on the edges of society, in cars, in homeless shelters, in anything that he and his mom could find?

"His flight got delayed in Dallas and he decided to drive (nine hours) and be available and just watch his teammates at their pro day," Colbert said in offering one example. "That really struck a chord with Coach and I."

Harris joined the post-pick media party soon thereafter with his Ravens buddy from a homeless shelter in which Najee and his mother once stayed. His demeanor was one of high energy and enthusiasm.

His life may have been lived on the edge, to this point, but there's no apparent bitterness, anger, or any other component of fear.

He brings everything a coach and scout could want on the field, and he's in great condition, and he appears to be in a terrific mental and emotional state.

"My flight was canceled," Harris explained about the pro day journey that excited the Steelers. "It was around 8:00 or 9:00 at night and I took it to myself - my agent was mad at me - but I took it to myself to say I really want to support my teammates and the juniors that performed out here today, because I know that people might not understand. But that type of support is big-time, and it can help you settle down all the nerves that you have if you look to the side and see your brothers are there. That was a no-brainer for me for sure."

It's not as if Harris had to work out. He was coming out of a minor ankle issue and wasn't expected to perform. But he felt his brothers needed him.

So, why not celebrate at the big draft party in Cleveland and begin marketing your brand?

"I'm in Oakland right now with all my people," Harris said. "That was important. Us, as a family, we went through a lot of stuff. That was actually one of the places I stayed at, in the homeless shelter. I just want to make sure they know that if they need a helping hand, I'm always here."

So, OK, he's a complete running back who's overcome great childhood struggles to become an all-time great at the greatest program in college football history. He's in shape. He's not entitled. He's giving back to his community, his people. And, as he put it ...

"I am a football junkie."

That one's always difficult to believe in young players who rarely know anything about the tradition into which they're being absorbed.

Not this guy.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...xes-164853074/

Next - Minkah, #39!
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 05:53 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-01-2021, 05:57 AM

Harris approves.... Franco that is;

“If he’s available, I would like to see another Harris in the backfield,” Harris told CBS Sports on Wednesday. “We need a running game. I can’t tell you how disappointing it was last year, we get to within the 5-yard line going into the end zone and we’re throwing all the time. We’re not pounding it in there and having running backs do their thing. We need a running back that can really make a difference. This Harris kid is a tough kid. I feel he could really make a difference.”

Next - Minkah, #39!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-01-2021, 02:16 PM

(05-01-2021, 02:14 AM)Rollers Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 11:19 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: I have ZERO issues with this pick.

WELL OH YEAH????????????????

Laugh
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

05-01-2021, 10:19 PM

Not too impressed with this pick. The Media predicted and hyped it up all week. Watching High-lite reel, one on one he can be arm tackled. No break away speed or ability. If the Steelers fix the line problem he may do a little better then Conner.
I'm just not seeing this. I hope it proves me wrong.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-02-2021, 04:13 AM

(05-01-2021, 10:19 PM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: Not too impressed with this pick. The Media predicted and hyped it up all week.  Watching High-lite reel, one on one he can be arm tackled. No break away speed or ability. If the Steelers fix the line problem he may do a little better then Conner.
 I'm just not seeing this. I hope it proves me wrong.

Cali, don't underestimate what this guy will add to the passing game. He's head and shoulders above Conner as a runner, but beyond that, has soft, soft hands and he can catch in traffic. He's also an excellent pass protector who's been playing in a pro-style offense. He will be an immediate impact.

Conner was catching 35-40 balls a season. Le'Veon Bell had multiple seasons with more than 80 catches. Hell, Bell has like 60 more career catches than Lynn Swann. 

The threat of Harris' running ability, combined with his receiving ability, instantly and significantly improves the offense. My bet is that Harris rushes for 1000+ and catches 60+ balls this year.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

05-02-2021, 12:16 PM

I'll disagree with you Tim...   My bet is he rushes for 999 yards and catches 59+ balls this year.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-02-2021, 06:58 PM

(05-02-2021, 12:16 PM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: I'll disagree with you Tim...   My bet is he rushes for 999 yards and catches 59+ balls this year.

Laugh

"Price Is Right" strategy... only backwards. Yes!!!  Thumbsup Laugh
Rollers
Hall of Famer

05-03-2021, 11:11 AM

https://youtu.be/1DfhDL44mUo

take a look at this
Barney
Hall of Famer

05-03-2021, 11:13 PM

(05-03-2021, 11:11 AM)Rollers Wrote: https://youtu.be/1DfhDL44mUo

take a look at this

That put a frog in my throat. Love the high character. I've seen a few interviews with him and he seems very mature for his age.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-04-2021, 01:15 AM

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Next - Minkah, #39!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-04-2021, 01:48 AM

(05-03-2021, 11:13 PM)Barney Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 11:11 AM)Rollers Wrote: https://youtu.be/1DfhDL44mUo

take a look at this

That put a frog in my throat. Love the high character. I've seen a few interviews with him and he seems very mature for his age.

Yep. Same.  Pi_heartbeating