Dwayne Haskins another Antonio Brown > Deva?
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

05-09-2021, 01:11 AM

Some inside info on Haskins...  Not sure how credible this is. But sounds like another A.B. and locker room destroyer.

Dwayne Haskins >    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RznLvwK7RsU

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2021, 01:13 AM by Cali-Steeler.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-09-2021, 02:42 AM

(05-09-2021, 01:11 AM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: .          
         Some inside info on Haskins...  Not sure how credible this is. But sounds like another A.B. and locker room destroyer.

Dwayne Haskins >    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RznLvwK7RsU

Well... we'll see. As an Ohio State fan, I love the guy. He was amazing as a Buckeye. I think the worst thing that happened to him was going to a shit organization run by Dan Snyder. His "character" was never in question until he got to Washington. 

The talent is there. If he can get back in the right frame of mind, there is ridiculous potential. He's head and shoulders above Rudolph and Dobbs in terms of raw ability. But that's not what backups get paid for. Hopefully, he can refocus, wrap his head around the offense and find a way to realize his potential, because it's off the charts. 

I love this signing because it's zero risk for the Steelers. If he fails, well... nothing ventured, nothing gained. It won't cost much. If he succeeds... having that kind of talent fall in your lap for nothing can suddenly begin to seem like divine providence. 

My expectations are fairly low. But I'm confident he won't be a cancer. AB was out of his mind. I think Haskins got a rude awakening, learned the hard way he's not as great as he thought he was, got frustrated and didn't know how to deal with it. I also think some of these kids, when they finally get to the NFL after striving for it since peewee ball, let down and burn out. Work ethic was his thing, so to hear people say he lacks it, it's like WTF happened???

Zero risk with excellent potential. I'll take it. The microscope won't be on him the way it was in Washington. Hopefully, he'll be able to breathe and develop.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

05-09-2021, 08:38 PM

Tim are there any OSU QBs starting in the NFL right now? Seems like OSU quarterbacks just don't do well in the pros but I could be wrong. Plenty of OSU kids in the pros at a lot of different positions but no QB?
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-10-2021, 09:57 AM

(05-09-2021, 08:38 PM)Rollers Wrote: Tim   are there any OSU QBs starting in the NFL right now?  Seems like OSU quarterbacks just don't do well in the pros but I could be wrong. Plenty of OSU kids in the pros at a lot of different positions but no QB?

Nope. OSU QB's have a dismal track record in the NFL over my entire lifetime, starting with Art Schlichter, who I thought was going to be a sure thing. Disaster. And every Buckeyes QB drafter since him... disaster.  

A buddy I work with is a huge Bears fan (season ticket holder) and was pretty excited that they drafter Justin Fields. Obviously, I love the guy. He was a GREAT Buckeye QB. But I would've never recommended drafting him in the first round, let alone trading up to do so. 

I don't know what it is. OSU players from all other positions have gone on to have excellent NFL careers. But the QB's have universally been a flop.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-11-2021, 01:56 AM

Although not a household name or HOFer, Mike Tomczak probably was the had the best NFL career for an OSU QB to date.

With Ryan Day as HC for the Buckeyes I do think you will start to see more OSU QBs with success in the NFL. I think Justin Fields will be a good NFL QB, if the Bears don't ruin him. As an Ohio State fan myself I am still holding out hope for Dwayne Haskins.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-11-2021, 05:30 AM

(05-11-2021, 01:56 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Although not a household name or HOFer, Mike Tomczak probably was the had the best NFL career for an OSU QB to date.

With Ryan Day as HC for the Buckeyes I do think you will start to see more OSU QBs with success in the NFL. I think Justin Fields will be a good NFL QB, if the Bears don't ruin him. As an Ohio State fan myself I am still holding out hope for Dwayne Haskins.

I hope you're right about the situation with Ryan Day, Chuck.  Thumbsup

Kinda funny to think Tomczak (???) has been the best of the bunch in terms of NFL success.  Laugh  He was so ordinary at OSU. I don't think he even got drafted? He was even more ordinary in the NFL. But he always had a lot of heart and I really liked that about him.