Week 4 Postmortem: Steelers 17, Packers 27
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-04-2021, 02:39 PM

[Image: stay_positive_small.jpg]

Okay, I'm trying to stay positive this week, so I'd like commend the Steelers on Ben's beautiful TD bomb to Dionte Johnson on the opening drive of the game. [Image: happy.gif]

Also on a positive note, Ben became only the 8th QB in NFL history to throw 400 TDs and passed Dan Marino for all-time passing yardage.

Najee Harris also scored his first rushing TD as a pro.

The rest f-ing sucked[Image: embarrassed.gif]

The ineptitude of the O-line was matched only by Matt Canada's befuddled play calling. I'm 100% sure Red Beaulieu (villain from "The Waterboy") stole Canada's playbook (and manhood) before the season.

Juju and Ben have less chemistry than Padme and Anakin in Episode II (for you Star Wars fans). They may as well be in different galaxies.

The only thing worse than our 3rd down play calling is our 4th down play calling (hey, let's throw another 0-yard pass on 4th and long).

The season isn't over yet. But with apologies to the late John McKay, we look like we're still 3 or 4 plane crashes away from being a playoff contender. A loss to Denver next week will put us at 1-4, and in case anyone hasn't noticed, these guys are not the 1976 Steelers.

I live in Ohio. You know it's bad when Browns-loving friends you've been mercilessly ridiculing your entire life begin to send you sympathetic messages. "Hey, what's up with the Steelers? You okay, man?"

F%$& that!!! Get out there, get your $#!t together and win a game!!!

P.S. -- Screw the officiating crew for incorrectly calling Joe Haden offsides on Minkah's blocked FG and TD return just before the half. Granted, it was close. But you could clearly see the center beginning to snap the ball before Haden made his move. It was a 10 point swing, and instead of going into the half with a 17-14 lead, we trailed 17-10.
Noll and Cowher teams no more
SmashMouth and Blitzburgh!

10-04-2021, 07:05 PM

(10-04-2021, 02:39 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: The ineptitude of the O-line was matched only by Matt Canada's befuddled play calling. 

You're not going to see Matt Canada's offense until Ben is gone. You are seeing Ben's offense. As a matter of fact, it has been his offense all through the Fitchner years and before. Canada's offense consists of play action, RPO's and more snaps from behind center than what Ben is willing or capable of doing. No O.C. has a chance to succeed with Ben at QB. All Ben's past success was through his improve and extending plays that are not drawn up in a playbook written by a coordinator and the past 3-4 seasons of Ben being unable to do the things he was able to do has made the OC the scape goat.   

Ben is holding this team back...yeah the offensive line is terrible but it does not help matters having a statue behind it. 

All the things that made Ben great are no more. The guy can not get out of his own way and that is the simple and sad truth....he is done and we are witnessing it. Father time has a hold of his jersey and is not letting go. He should of bowed out at the end of last season but he is chasing personal stats. 

I can give three craps about any record he breaks now.... how about the personal record he has right now (and counting) of after the 11-0 start last season he is 2-8 including the playoff loss to the freakin Browns.

Look at the demeaner of his receivers. He has lost their confidence in him. I bet Ju Ju is regretting sticking around for one more year because he now lost a chance for a bigger pay contract that he deserves.

Not sure if you watched the replay on the 4th and 4 when Ben threw a check down to Harris for a loss but Friermuth was wide open in front of him past the first down marker. That was all Ben....not a befuddled Canada play call.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-05-2021, 02:14 AM

(10-04-2021, 07:05 PM)Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote: Look at the demeaner of his receivers. He has lost their confidence in him. I bet Ju Ju is regretting sticking around for one more year because he now lost a chance for a bigger pay contract that he deserves.

Juju hasn't earned his paycheck since AB left. Without someone on the other side drawing constant double-coverage, Juju has all but disappeared... except for on TikTokEyes  He should be more than a possession receiver, yet he's not. Because the dude doesn't get open when it counts. 

Any confidence issues with our other receivers have nothing to do with Ben, because he's the one person out there who actually knows what he's doing. It has to do with our receivers' inexperience. These young players obviously don't know their reads yet, which significantly limits/shrinks our playbook, making it harder for Ben (and Canada, for that matter) to execute the offense. 

Throw in an inexperienced, all-new O-line (with no real studs) and you get the disaster we're witnessing now. 

I don't care who you put under center... an offense based around RPO's when the line and receivers don't know what they're doing will fail. 

If Matt Canada is so married to RPO's that he can't adjust to having a Hall of Fame drop-back passer, he's the wrong coordinator at the wrong time on the wrong team because, barring injury, Ben is our QB this year and probably next year. 

(10-04-2021, 07:05 PM)Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote: No O.C. has a chance to succeed with Ben at QB. All Ben's past success was through his improve and extending plays that are not drawn up in a playbook written by a coordinator and the past 3-4 seasons of Ben being unable to do the things he was able to do has made the OC the scape goat.   

Ben is holding this team back...yeah the offensive line is terrible but it does not help matters having a statue behind it. 

WTF are you talking about? Ben is the primary reason this team has continued to be competitive offensively, despite ZERO running game for 4 straight years (see below). It's not Ben's fault Le'Veon lost his marbles. It's also not Ben's fault AB lost his marbles.

And it's definitely not Ben's fault we now have no O-line. The line has been suspect for years; now it's downright awful.

Steelers League Rank in Rushing Yards
2021: 32nd
2020: 32nd
2019: 29th (matched with a passing game that was 31st without Ben)
2018: 31st

You don't like Ben, that's fine. But he is the least of our problems on offense. 

(10-04-2021, 07:05 PM)Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote: Not sure if you watched the replay on the 4th and 4 when Ben threw a check down to Harris for a loss but Friermuth was wide open in front of him past the first down marker. That was all Ben....not a befuddled Canada play call.

So let me get this straight. Ben has been getting his ass kicked ALL DAY (and frankly, all year) thanks to his turnstile offensive line and receivers who don't get open, misread routes, drop balls, and frankly, don't block well (other than Juju). And you wanna bitch about him supposedly missing a read on 4th and 4, trailing 27-10, with zero protection from the O-line?

Okay. Fine, let's say that's on him. 

Is it also Ben's fault that on the ensuing drive, similar situation on 4th and 4, flipping Diontae Johnson false starts (which should NEVER happen to a WR) and then Tomlin punts? 

The Steelers have been among the absolute worst in the league rushing for 4 straight seasons... yet you pin all the blame our Hall of Fame QB rather than the shortcomings of our line, running backs, receivers, OC and HC.

I don't even remotely see it that way.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

10-05-2021, 11:45 AM

I've read clops from a lot of folks commenting about Ben's inability to run, move, escape, etc. There's no doubt he's not capable of doing what he did 5-10 years ago but are those the prime reasons for success for a QB?

I suggest not. If that were true how did Brady become the GOAT? I lived in MI during his college days. He was not mobile then and I assure you his ability to run, move, escape has not improved. Brady has had and continues to have a head coach able and willing to put the right pieces together to help him succeed. As great as he has been he can't succeed if he's flat on his butt or getting hit in the chops every time he goes back to pass. Or if the OC seems unable to marry the available assets on that side of the ball with tactics/plans to generate success.

Tomlin has had success, in my view, mostly due to Ben's almost unreal physical abilities. If this player's coach were able to control Brown or Bell the chances for another title would have improved. Instead he shirked that duty and ceded valuable assets for peanuts.

Ben is aging out. Father Time is undefeated. I believe Tomlin would not have been able to field a championship/competitive team without him. Sometimes a player's coach just lacks the discipline to do so. Ben is a HOF candidate without Tomlin. I can't say the same for Tomlin without Ben. I'll admit I'm wrong if Tomlin fields playoff contenders after Ben retires. But, unless the team gets lucky and drafts that level of QB without a 25 or so year gap, I am confident I'm going to be proven correct.

The city had a great ride. There's no good reason to denigrate the main reason for that ride as it nears its end.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-05-2021, 01:57 PM

(10-05-2021, 11:45 AM)sandfan Wrote: I believe Tomlin would not have been able to field a championship/competitive team without him (Ben).  

Yes, agreed. Competitive, probably. But championship? No.

The same is true of Bill Cowher, BTW. Cowher was a perennial bridesmaid until Ben came along. It took Ben only 2 seasons to get Cowher out of coaching the Pro Bowl every year and into hoisting a Lombardi.

(10-05-2021, 11:45 AM)sandfan Wrote: Ben is aging out.  Father Time is undefeated.  

There's no good reason to denigrate the main reason for that ride as it nears its end.

Agreed, Father Time is undefeated. 

To me, it's insulting to suggest Ben is "chasing personal stats." The dude has never been about stats. Kinda makes me sick to see people take those kinds of shots at him. He's been a winner for Pittsburgh from the moment he suited up. A little appreciation would be nice. 

10-05-2021, 06:05 PM

[Image: Steelers-Steelers-takeaways-Ben-Roethlis...eek-4.jpeg]
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-05-2021, 06:15 PM

Laugh Laugh Laugh

10-05-2021, 09:10 PM

Watch or just listen if you want to......they are pretty much saying what I was trying to get across plus some other good points. This video was posted just a couple hours ago, a day after my original post here.

Tim, I never said or implied that I hate Ben. I love, love, love everything he has done for the team and the hundreds of special plays he made on his own to where after the play we were amazed and grateful to have "Big Ben" on our team.  The only thing I hate is that he is unable to do the things he used to due to his age and lack of mobility....he can no longer play in this league. We saw this decline with Bettis, Troy, Hines and so on. It happens to the best of them with Brees and Manning as good example and as you said it, "Father time is undefeated". So because I see the reality in front of my eyes does not mean I hate the guy.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2021, 09:12 PM by Noll and Cowher teams no more.)
sandfan
Hall of Famer

10-06-2021, 03:56 AM

His best days are likely behind him. There's no shame in that. Can't say that for the short memory folks who live to tear him down. Try to remember what Ben accomplished for this team. If you need a quick reminder take a look at this.

I'm glad I was here to see it all. Likely will never see it again in black and gold.

https://twitter.com/ToneDigz/status/1445...de%3Dfalse
Vitriol
Special Teamer

10-06-2021, 08:34 AM

I'll jump in this thread, vs. resurrecting last week's.

I'm with every fan on this board. I don't wish Ben ANY ill-will. Just the opposite. I appreciate everything he's done for the Steelers.
- The abuse he's taken over the years is unreal.
- His talent was legendary. He's given us all a lot of great memories.
- I wish one of those Killer-B years had worked out into a championship. It's tragic that it didn't.
- I think the window has slammed shut between his age AND the loss of talent around him.

If there were a better supporting cast around him, MAYBE, Ben could have another run at it, but more as a leader/game manager than someone who is expected to carry the team on his back. I'm thinking Manning, with the Broncos.

It's a tough situation when someone is at the end of a career. But the decline happens to all of us. We just don't have millions of critics watching the decline...
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-07-2021, 11:30 AM

Yuk!