Week 5 Postgame: Steelers 27, Broncos 19
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-13-2021, 12:32 PM

Week 5 Postgame: Steelers 27, Broncos 19

My gut going in was that the Broncos weren't as good as their 3-1 record while the Steelers weren't as bad as their 1-3 record. That turned out to be the case, and while it's really nice to get a win, I have to ask... what in the f*** did we just see? 

The much-maligned O-line, who many (including me) viewed as perhaps the worst football, looked pretty good. Meanwhile, the defense, who many (including me) considered among the best in the league, looked pretty bad.

So now, I'm in this weird limbo between a) having hope and b) doubting the legitimacy of anything I saw. For every positive, there's an equal and opposite negative concern. The only exception is Najee Harris, who is a flipping STUD from every angle.

Can someone please explain WTF is up with our defense? In week one, these guys throttled Buffalo. THROTTLED them. No small task considering Buffalo's #1-ranked offense has racked up 35, 40, 43 and 38 points over the last 4 weeks, including a beat-down of KC. Conversely, we've since been manhandled by Vegas, Cinci and Green Bay, and it took a last-second goal line stand to prevent a come-from-behind win by Teddy Bridgewater. 

I know losing Tuitt and Alualu hurts. Wormley and Mondeaux are significant steps down (although Mondeaux did get a sack on Sunday). Even so, our run defense was mostly solid vs. Denver (other than Terrell Edmunds, who seems to take bad angles, blow coverages and get punked on blocks for first downs every week). But once the Broncos decided to go with their passing game, Bridgewater had ALL DAY to throw.  

Pocket time or not, the collapses in the secondary late in the game were unforgiveable; WTF was that 39-yard TD bomb in a situation where you have a late double-digit lead and your strategy should be to keep things in front of you??? You'd have to suit up Snoop Dogg and Seth Rogan in our secondary to get more toasted.

We allowed three 4th-down conversions in a single drive (including one for a TD), a stop on any of which would've ostensibly ended the game. Thankfully, we did finally get a 4th down stop on a subsequent drive, courtesy of Pierre's redemptive INT in the end zone to preserve the win. But we wouldn't have been there if he and Edmunds had done their jobs in the first place on the earlier TD bomb. Instead, we nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of a 24-6 fourth quarter lead. 

Several folks on the board have used the phrase "thin margin of error" and it keeps going through my head. It's beyond razor thin right now. Good thing the offense showed up this week.

Enough hand wringing. We won. 

Big day for Najee (22 carries, 123 yds and a TD before getting hurt), big day for Ben (15 of 25, 253 yds, 2 TDs) and most of all, big day for the offensive line. We needed this win and these guys really came through.

Sad to learn Juju is gone for the season. It's a shame for him personally, professionally and financially. To lose your season in the midst of a contract year is devastating. I truly feel bad for him and am praying for a full recovery. 

In terms of the team, however, I don't see this as a crushing blow. In fact, I'm kinda "meh" about it. I know that sounds terrible, but Juju has been non-existent this year. This gives the young guys a chance to develop and also forces us to get our TE's more involved.

Onward and upward. Russell Wilson's misfortune is a godsend for the Steelers. Let's hope they can make the most of the opportunity next week. 

[Image: girl_edmunds.jpg]
Steelers6rings
Rookie

10-13-2021, 01:20 PM

I totally agree with everything you said, Mac. In summary, I really think Denver cut us a break. They really didn't seem too motivated and it took them too long to get their passing game going. But just as the Steelers got a break with Denver not playing well till the end, last night, the Steelers can't catch a break with an Indy 22-3 lead over Baltimore. Wouldn't that have been nice to be just a game out of first place after a disappointing start to the season? Also, the Steelers don't benefit from the "resignation" of Chucky. Of course, he beats us in week 2, but now that team will probably go down in the crapper. Hate to complain, but the Steelers are going to need every break they can to squeeze into the postseason this year.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-13-2021, 03:28 PM

(10-13-2021, 01:20 PM)Steelers6rings Wrote: In summary, I really think Denver cut us a break. They really didn't seem too motivated and it took them too long to get their passing game going. But just as the Steelers got a break with Denver not playing well till the end

Agreed, Denver was sleepwalking through the first 3 quarters of the game. Flat as a pancake, no rhythm or flow on offense. And our defense, while not playing at peak level, still seemed to be playing reasonably solid ball.

Then came the 4th quarter. I went to the game log and Denver ran 27 plays, only 4 of them designed runs. Bridgewater hit 17 of 23 for 205 yds and 2 TDs in the final 17 minutes of the game. Scared Not Tom Brady. Not Patrick Mahomes. Teddy flippin' Bridgewater. 

Keith Butler better get this $#!t figured out.  Embarassed

(10-13-2021, 01:20 PM)Steelers6rings Wrote: last night, the Steelers can't catch a break with an Indy 22-3 lead over Baltimore. Wouldn't that have been nice to be just a game out of first place after a disappointing start to the season?  

Yeah, I watched that game. Indy HAD them. Then the kicker missed what would've been a coffin nail, and suddenly, Indy couldn't stop ANYTHING Baltimore did. In the 4th quarter/OT, Jackson hit 19 of 20 -- 19 of 20!!! -- including the game winning TD. It was some of the worst defensive strategy and execution I've ever seen. Fish in a barrel. Almost beyond comprehension. 

As someone who loves defense and also hates the Ravens, it was truly hard to watch. But this is what the NFL has become.

The Cleveland game was even more pathetic from a defensive standpoint. I'm obviously glad the Browns lost, but there was no defense to be found anywhere on that field.

I hate what the NFL has done to the game via rule changes driven not by what's best for the game, but by the desire for more fantasy football points.  

But I digress.  Nerd