Issues, my view anyway
sandfan
Hall of Famer

11-23-2021, 12:28 AM

Ben is not the problem.  Yes he is less mobile than in the past but his numbers are in line with his history.  I think, with a better OL he would be more successful.

Offensive coordinator is a position many love to attack.  I am jumping on that bandwagon.  My view is the team would be more dynamic if Ben were calling the plays on the field.  Way too many options suggested from the sidelines seem to be confusing, ineffective and look to be creating a bit of frustration.

Harris is trying but he's slowly wearing down.  That might be the rookie wall but I think it's more likely due to the ineffective line play.  It's tough to control the game rushing the ball when Harris seems to be hit within a yard of the line of scrimmage on most attempts.  He seems strong enough to get some yards after contact but that's not a recipe for success long term.

Injuries happen.  To all teams.  Some more and some less.  They crippled the team last night.  Next man up does not work when too many of the next men are not close to NFL starting talent.  Obviously.

Cam is a stud and having a great year.  Injuries are impacting the DL and Cam can't do it all.

AB is a type of player sorely missed on this team.  Not for his antics but for his ability to create separation and stretch the field for other wideouts.  Ben's throwing into some pretty tight windows along with not having much time to wait for them to expand if that's even on the table.

Bush looks to be more than a step slow.  His inability to anticipate and hit the hole before getting tangled up with a block is noticeable. He can't seem to cover a back out on a pattern either.  I think his current play is more a liability than effective.  The knee injury may have ended his career and he and the team just are not ready to admit it.   

Muth looks like a positive addition.  His rapid connection and trust with Ben has been impressive to observe.

The OL seems to vary between incompetent and ineffective.  All the talking heads said the team should have been able to run the ball effectively last night.  Instead, it was another outing of getting Harris manhandled and, at the end, putting Ben in an impossible situation. At least there were no snaps over Ben's head.  That's progress.  Would it be much better if they used the pick for an OL instead of Muth?  Maybe, but I like the performance and potential of Muth long term.

Boz is great.  He's all the way back.  The special teams did well last night.  The Steelers won the part of the game.

I got to watch last night without beer goggles.  The stadium almost looked like a home game.  Maybe if Ben did not make that underthrow early in the game the end result could have been positive.  But, it's hard to downplay 3 TD passes with no INTs, a passer rating over 100 with no on the field practice time.  As I shared, I don't think he's the problem.  The real problem was Tomlin's next man up was exposed.  Just too many were needed to win.
Barney
Hall of Famer

11-23-2021, 07:22 AM

I'm not sure... I'd like to see the outcome if we just settled for 6 points on two FG's instead of settling for 0.

Along with Trey Parker and Matt Stone, I blame Canada...

...and Tomlin...
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

11-24-2021, 07:15 AM

We need to fix the O-line before anything will improve. That and fire Canada. This isn't college.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Rollers
Hall of Famer

11-24-2021, 12:19 PM

Bush is a 1st round bust. We gave up a lot of draft capital to get him and he just sucks. He cannot get off a block. He can't cover anyone. He can't tackle. And on and on. I hope he's gone after this year.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

11-24-2021, 01:42 PM

Ok. Follow me here:
1) Weak offensive line with a ton of DL push
2) Rushers are coming after Ben. He's older - not as mobile
Why haven't we called a screen in 3 games?
3) We KEEP CALLING this dipshit behind the line dunk-passes. Ben is VISIBLY questioning sideline calls.
4) Let Ben call his own damn plays
5) If we want to have a RB next year - you got to open holes for Najee. He's got 685 rushing yards on the season; 680 after contact....
Krunch
Hall of Famer

11-24-2021, 03:17 PM

Because I like Ben so well, I hope he packs it in after this season. He wants another Lombardi, but it just isn't gonna happen. I hate to say this but the Steelers are the Steelers. They are an Ownership and a Front Office and a Head Coach who do not know how or maybe don't even want to acquire sufficient talent and can certainly not effectively develop what talent they have. I have used this term on this board numerous times before. "Good Enough is Good Enough" is the prevailing belief and reality. It saddens me to see Ben wallow away among such a mediocre team. I truly believe under different organizational effort and most certainly better coaching he may well have had one, maybe two more trophies. The Steelers Are The Steelers. They never needed to become who they have become, but they have. So sad.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-27-2021, 02:40 AM

Your post is spot-on, Sand, and it's hard to find much to disagree with in the entire thread. 

I do think Ben will return next year. We're not even remotely prepared to go on without him, and he's still got plenty left in the tank IMO. His heart is as big as ever.

I originally wrote a much longer response, but I lost connection and the post was wiped out when I clicked "submit."  Eyes
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

11-29-2021, 02:59 PM

(11-24-2021, 03:17 PM)Krunch Wrote: Because I like Ben so well, I hope he packs it in after this season. He wants another Lombardi, but it just isn't gonna happen. I hate to say this but the Steelers are the Steelers. They are an Ownership and a Front Office and a Head Coach who do not know how or maybe don't even want to acquire sufficient talent and can certainly not effectively develop what talent they have. I have used this term on this board numerous times before. "Good Enough is Good Enough" is the prevailing belief and reality. It saddens me to see Ben wallow away among such a mediocre team. I truly believe under different organizational effort and most certainly better coaching he may well have had one, maybe two more trophies. The Steelers Are The Steelers. They never needed to become who they have become, but they have. So sad.

Can’t argue much with your post. Good enough is good enough, but when there is not enough good…. I agree, this team has lost its bearing. The coaching staff is just grasping at straws, draft picks are not panning out necessitating an influx of FAs which is not good for team morale. Envy over paychecks can destroy a looker room. 

I guarantee you Bush didn’t forget how to play the game. He’s playing this year for a paultry $2mil and change this year with no guaranteed cash if his knee blows up. How much more is Shoebert bringing in? How about the mega deal Watt signed? Haden asked for an extension and was declined, and he’s been racking up the missed games. And next up at the trough is Minka. Think he’s not going to demand a multi year guaranteed contract? 

Call me crazy, but I sense the winds of change a comin’!