Joe Starkey on Tomlin. I agree with all of it
Rollers
Hall of Famer

11-30-2021, 04:13 AM

To some, the mere notion of moving on from Mike Tomlin seems ludicrous.
I’ll tell you what’s ludicrous ...
• Giving up 28 first-quarter points to the Cleveland Browns in a playoff game.
• Giving up 533 yards to the Los Angeles Chargers, then admitting you failed to make any meaningful adjustments.
[/url] [Image: Steelers-Bengals-Football-12-1638141300.jpg]
Brian Batko
Steelers notes: After his first pick-six, Mike Hilton sees ‘changing of the guard’ in Bengals’ favor
• Giving up 40-plus points in back-to-back games for the first time since 1989.
• Going to overtime against Geno Smith.
• Nearly blowing a big fourth-quarter lead to the Chicago Bears.
• Allowing 229 rushing yards to the Detroit Lions, then admitting you were out-coached by Dan “Kneecap” Campbell, who had never called plays until that day.
• Failing to win a playoff game for five straight years, the longest streak since Bill Austin coached here. That’s what will happen if these Steelers do not win a playoff game — and if you think they will, I have some beach-front property in Wilmerding I’d love to show you. By the way, that streak included the early Chuck Noll era, when the Steelers were the most pathetic franchise in football — though probably not bad enough to tie the 2021 Detroit Lions.
• Tying the 2021 Detroit Lions.
• Refusing to bench Devin Bush even though everybody knew he was playing terrible football coming in — and he continued to do so. Oh, did he ever, to the point where ex-Steelers nose tackle Chris Hoke said this on the KDKA postgame show: “It seems to me he’s playing with no heart out there. There’s no effort. Really, right now, you’re playing with 10 guys on the Steelers defense.”
[Image: 20211128mfsteelerssports15-1638161226.jpg]
Ray Fittipaldo
Ray Fittipaldo’s Steelers report card: Complete and total failure in loss to Bengals
[url=https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2021/11/28/pittsburgh-steelers-cincinnati-bengals-report-card-grades/stories/202111280057]• Losing three consecutive games to the Bengals for the first time in 31 years.
• Losing to the Bengals, 41-10, on Sunday in maybe the most humiliating regular season game of the Tomlin era.
I mean, seriously, how bad does this have to get before Tomlin’s seat at least becomes lukewarm, or even room temperature?
Why should it just be assumed that he is coach for life?
I’m not saying he should be fired even if his team collapses for the fourth consecutive season, or if it merely misses the playoffs. But why in the world did Art Rooney II give him an unusually long, three-year contract extension last spring after the third straight collapse?
sandfan
Hall of Famer

11-30-2021, 06:09 AM

Maybe the Rooney family can find another minority candidate to replace Tomlin. That could ease their social justice issues if they let him go and hopefully find a body who can alter the performance of the team. Never having a losing season is not something I'd hang my hat on. However, if it were my team, I'd hire the best person for the job and not even consider race in the equation.

Tomlin has an impressive win w/l record in the regular season. Not so much in the playoffs. All that has been accomplished with a first round HOF QB. That ride is coming to an end and it appears Tomlin is and has been clueless re how to right the ship.

Tomlin, a supposed player's coach, seems to be unable to handle problematic players. AB, Bell, etc. Now it's possible Bush is pushing similar buttons. I'm not sure what Tomlin's done to earn that recognition but unleashing Hell is not part of the package. The move we made to trade up for Bush looks more costly than ever. I realize there's a friendship/semi family deal going on there but catering to that leads to more disfunction within the team. That's my view anyway.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

11-30-2021, 06:37 AM

Not to pile on but now Minkah says practice needs to change.

Read more: https://steelersdepot.com/2021/11/minkah...s-defense/

Then when you thought it couldn't get anymore ludicrous, Claypool wants music added to practices, I wonder if that will help him remember the routes. He says it will make practices more fun. Seriously. 

This guy is clueless. 

Read more: https://steelersdepot.com/2021/11/chase-...-more-fun/

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2021, 06:44 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-30-2021, 07:36 AM

Tomlin has gotten too comfortable. He's complacent. As a result, I think some players are following his lead. It only takes a handful of "85-percenters" to bring the whole team down.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

11-30-2021, 07:43 AM

(11-30-2021, 07:36 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Tomlin has gotten too comfortable. He's complacent. As a result, I think some players are following his lead. It only takes a handful of "85-percenters" to bring the whole team down.

every single coach gets replaced at some point.  For whatever reason they cannot continue with a team for a lifetime.  New ideas, new attitudes, new players.  It's time to show Mike the door.  He's been a great coach but it's over
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-30-2021, 07:53 AM

(11-30-2021, 07:43 AM)Rollers Wrote: every single coach gets replaced at some point.  For whatever reason they cannot continue with a team for a lifetime.  New ideas, new attitudes, new players.  It's time to show Mike the door.  He's been a great coach but it's over

Agreed, he's run his course in Pittsburgh. It's time to go. It has been for some time. 

This team needs a ballbuster at the helm to crack some skulls and get players focused on WINNING. 

Perhaps Ryan Clark said it best this week, talking about certain Steelers players: "What y’all want to do is you want to show up and y’all want to live on the backs of legends."
Barney
Hall of Famer

11-30-2021, 09:48 AM

I'm just not sure I'm ready to give up the verbal quips for a few more W's, more playoff wins, and SuperBowls.  Maybe we just leave it as is... I mean he's never had a losing season after all.

The Standard is the Standard!

LOL!
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2021, 09:48 AM by Barney.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-30-2021, 10:12 AM

(11-30-2021, 09:48 AM)Barney Wrote: I'm just not sure I'm ready to give up the verbal quips for a few more W's, more playoff wins, and SuperBowls.  

Laugh
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-01-2021, 06:23 AM

Cam Heyward on Claypool's request for music at practice.

Cam Heyward responded today on the DVE Morning Show to Chase Claypool’s play-music-at-practice suggestion: “I hope he was kidding because as soon as he said it I was literally about to rip the speaker out. That is not what we need right now. It’s X’s & O’s and it’s execution.”

We told Cam we didn’t think Claypool was kidding. “Well then he’s gonna be in shock because there’s not gonna be anything played during practice,” Heyward replied. Another blunt-as-necessary Tuesday session with the defensive captain.

https://twitter.com/DVEMike?ref_src=...was-kidding%2F

Next - Minkah, #39!
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-01-2021, 08:15 AM

Then you have Bush that has all but quit on this team. At the very least he is not even making an effort. See video below. 

https://gfycat.com/leadingcostlygrosbeak

Next - Minkah, #39!
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2021, 08:20 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-01-2021, 08:24 AM

From the Steeler Depot site. I agree, I see no wayn this team is carrying itself in this fashion under Noll or Cowher. I know times have chnaged but this is unacceptable.

Read more: https://steelersdepot.com/2021/11/film-r...s-bengals/

Next - Minkah, #39!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-02-2021, 12:43 AM

(12-01-2021, 06:23 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Cam Heyward responded today on the DVE Morning Show to Chase Claypool’s play-music-at-practice suggestion: “I hope he was kidding because as soon as he said it I was literally about to rip the speaker out. That is not what we need right now. It’s X’s & O’s and it’s execution.”

Thank goodness for Cam. He's playing better and showing more heart than anyone else on the team right now.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

12-03-2021, 04:29 AM

(11-30-2021, 06:09 AM)sandfan Wrote: Maybe the Rooney family can find another minority candidate to replace Tomlin.  That could ease their social justice issues if they let him go and hopefully find a body who can alter the performance of the team.  Never having a losing season is not something I'd hang my hat on.  However, if it were my team, I'd hire the best person for the job and not even consider race in the equation.  

Tomlin has an impressive win w/l record in the regular season.  Not so much in the playoffs.  All that has been accomplished with a first round HOF QB.  That ride is coming to an end and it appears Tomlin is and has been clueless re how to right the ship.

Tomlin, a supposed player's coach, seems to be unable to handle problematic players.  AB, Bell, etc.  Now it's possible Bush is pushing similar buttons.  I'm not sure what Tomlin's done to earn that recognition but unleashing Hell is not part of the package.  The move we made to trade up for Bush looks more costly than ever.  I realize there's a friendship/semi family deal going on there but catering to that leads to more disfunction within the team.  That's my view anyway.

Make a Radical switch and hire Byron Leftwich

This Social Justice shit is killing football.   It used to be about sports.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

12-03-2021, 04:32 AM

(12-03-2021, 04:29 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote:
(11-30-2021, 06:09 AM)sandfan Wrote: Maybe the Rooney family can find another minority candidate to replace Tomlin.  That could ease their social justice issues if they let him go and hopefully find a body who can alter the performance of the team.  Never having a losing season is not something I'd hang my hat on.  However, if it were my team, I'd hire the best person for the job and not even consider race in the equation.  

Tomlin has an impressive win w/l record in the regular season.  Not so much in the playoffs.  All that has been accomplished with a first round HOF QB.  That ride is coming to an end and it appears Tomlin is and has been clueless re how to right the ship.

Tomlin, a supposed player's coach, seems to be unable to handle problematic players.  AB, Bell, etc.  Now it's possible Bush is pushing similar buttons.  I'm not sure what Tomlin's done to earn that recognition but unleashing Hell is not part of the package.  The move we made to trade up for Bush looks more costly than ever.  I realize there's a friendship/semi family deal going on there but catering to that leads to more disfunction within the team.  That's my view anyway.

Make a Radical switch and hire Byron Leftwich

This Social Justice shit is killing football.   It used to be about sports.

Make a SERIOUSLY radical switch and hire Cam Heyward to be the Defensive Coordinator immediately after he retires.
Krunch
Hall of Famer

12-06-2021, 07:10 AM

And then there are Coaches and GMs with Balls...
Panthers, Joe Brady part ways with 5 games left in season

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/panthers-...-part-ways

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert