We are officially OPEN for business!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-04-2017, 01:09 PM

My bruthas (and sistas)... after a LOOOOONG hiatus, I'm happy to say the McMillen and Wife site is finally back in 'bid'nis! I'm still dusting off my HTML skills (such as they are, circa Y2K lol) and this definitely isn't like riding a bike. But it's not rocket science, either. I've really been enjoying the design phase of the site and I especially love having the ability to share classic game videos so other die-hards like me can relive their childhood without the intellectual property police over at YouTube banning the videos worldwide and yanking them down two minutes after I upload them. 

I'm not sure what the future holds for this place yet. For now... it's to just have fun. I really enjoyed talking classic Steelers football again with the folks on YouTube before the frustration of the NFL copyright Nazi's ruined it for us. So I decided to do an end around and take YouTube out of the equation. We'll see how it goes. If you're a fan of vintage Steelers football, make sure you check out the Classic Steelers MP4 Page

Hopefully, some of the old Mac & Wife crew finds their way back here. And hopefully, we'll get a nice blend of new folks. They say message boards are dying out, dinosaurs from the turn of the century. Perhaps that's true and it's been a complete waste of time setting all this up again. But I hope not. Because even with the explosion of social media options out there, I've still never connected with people online in the meaningful way I did when the message board was going. Lasting and real friendships were forged there. It was a more intimate experience filled with dynamic, controversial, lively conversations you would never dare have on Facebook. It was fun!

Hard to believe this site started 20 years ago! I was just baby. In 1997, Steelers.com basically didn't exist yet and what little was there was pathetic. Many NFL teams didn't even have official sites yet. There was very little info about classic Steelers football from the '70s. But there was a site called Steelref.com. Plain-looking and primitive... but it was packed with info from team yearbooks from the '70s and it got me fired up to make a website of my own. A friend showed me how to do basic HTML using notepad (which is how I still do it) and I was off to the races. For a brief time near the turn of the century, mcmillenandwife.com became one of the busiest football websites in the world. And I "met" a lot of like-minded people who loved the Steelers just as much as I did. Again... it was just a lot of fun. 

So here we go. Again. I hope you guys like the site and enjoy the videos (hopefully they last) and I hope to catch up with some names from the past. God bless and GO, STEELERS!

~ Tim McMillen
sandfan
Hall of Famer

04-05-2017, 05:04 AM

I hope the board builds some momentum going into the draft. I'm not a facebook user so I can't interact with those who have left to pursue that avenue.

With respect the the draft I'm confused and concerned with the concept that this team should pick a qb this year let alone in the first round or two. Ben is the ticket to #7 and will be for the next few years. This team, except perhaps for the talents level of the head coach, is almost competitive with new england right now. A draft as good as the one made last year could get them over the hump. That will not be accomplished by spending a first or second on a qb.

The steelers need to focus on keeping players off suspension, healthy and organized so they commit to the team rather than their egos. I say go full out for another title and forget about looking for the next hof qb. Ben has always been a talent and competitor. Wish tomlin had that same quality so the gap between him and Belicheat was not a chasm.
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-05-2017, 05:07 AM

One of the originals back! Good to see it open again, however you are correct, Facebook and similar sights are the demise of sights such as this.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2017, 05:08 AM by Desert Steel.)
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-05-2017, 05:10 AM

Sandfan - Not the year to draft a QB. it's a weak QB class plus we have needs at OLB and CB. Stick with Landry and hope Mettenberger picks it up a bit. We're about 2 years away from drafting a QB. Ben's not going anywhere, he has about $58 million reasons to stay, plus a signing bonus he would have to pay back.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-05-2017, 05:31 AM

Is there a lot of chatter about the Steelers getting a QB early in the draft? Man, I would be shocked if that happened. The days of grooming a QB to be the starter for 3 years are kinda over (which really started when Ben took the NFL by storm).

Besides, we have major needs on defense. LB, CB & S all come before a QB in my opinion. I'm with you guys... it would be crazy to make a reach pick on a project QB. Go defense and go defense often. Maybe throw a deep threat WR in there in the 3rd or 4th round.
Krunch
Hall of Famer

04-05-2017, 06:28 AM

Awesome Site Tim - Glad to see some chatter on here.  

QB - not a top priority at this time.  Finding another Leftwich type might be the answer for insurance

Steelers FO ignored the O Line for how many years before finally addressing it?  Last season, they finally began on the long ignored Defensive Backfield.  I hope they continue this into the draft.  It is their most obvious deficit.  Thinking some great pass rusher will cure it is nonsense.  It will help, but not be the solution.

I've long felt this Tomlin-Colbert pairing just seems too content with a, "good enough, is good enough" mentality.  Championships don't often fall to such people.

I lived in the Denver area all through the Elway era.  The Broncos kept Elway surrounded with mediocre players for most of his career.  When they finally woke up and got serious with the quality of players around him things came together for them.  Reason I make this point is the Doomsday Clock is ticking on Ben and he needs excellent players on both sides of the line for the best shot at the Lombardi.
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-05-2017, 11:20 AM

I think you will see OLB, CB, WR, S, RB, and perhaps some depth for the DL. I'm not sure the exact order, picking at #30 sometimes the draft itself dictates who you pick. I do think secondary and Edge will be 1 and 2, and depending who is available at very well dictate which position is selected first.

We need a back-up RB and WR, believe it or not. RB can be selected Third or fourth round and it is really nice we have 2-second round picks.

Looking forward to the draft.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2017, 11:36 AM by Desert Steel.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-06-2017, 02:21 AM

(04-05-2017, 11:20 AM)Desert Steel Wrote: We need a back-up RB and WR, believe it or not. RB can be selected Third or fourth round and it is really nice we have 2-second round picks.

Yes, we definitely need someone to help take the load off Bell. Didn't realize we had two 2nd round picks. That IS nice!
sandfan
Hall of Famer

04-06-2017, 05:39 AM

I think the Steelers have 2 picks, the second a comp pick, in the third round and only 1 pick in rounds one and two.
Steel-fan4ever
Rookie

04-06-2017, 05:53 AM

Hoping this draft is a good one this year, we need defensive help in the back field -
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-06-2017, 06:02 AM

(04-06-2017, 05:53 AM)Steel-fan4ever Wrote: Hoping this draft is a good one this year, we need defensive help in the back field -

Amen to that!
Krunch
Hall of Famer

04-06-2017, 07:18 AM

Off Topic Drivel - if you want to add an avatar -  At the top of this page, above the Back Bar labeled,"We are officially OPEN for business!"  You can click on, "User CP" and add one there.

Will we see a return of SS1 to the board?  Someone said he might have passed away???
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2017, 01:08 AM by Krunch.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-06-2017, 07:35 AM

LOL! But shouldn't this picture be in the Romo thread?

Regarding SS1... seems like I got a LinkedIn request from him not long ago. LOL.
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-06-2017, 09:50 AM

Good catch, Sandfan. My bad, I meant to say it is good to have 2 3rd round picks. I think we are looking at a RB with one of these 3rd round picks or maybe in the 4th round we get Connor out of Pitt. I'm not a big fan of Connor, I think he runs with his pads too high.
steelerkraut
Hall of Famer

04-06-2017, 09:25 PM

Hi guys! Hi Tim!
Good to be back to a look and feel experience from 20 years ago! Maybe I am getting old, but for topics discussion I prefer this format over Facebook etc.   Big Grin
So glad that you put up the effort! So glad to see your old avatar! Smile
Looking forward to talk with you guys and watch those classic Steelers videos!

Michael aka steelerkraut
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-06-2017, 10:41 PM

(04-06-2017, 09:25 PM)steelerkraut Wrote: Hi guys! Hi Tim!
Good to be back to a look and feel experience from 20 years ago! Maybe I am getting old, but for topics discussion I prefer this format over Facebook etc.   Big Grin

Michael aka steelerkraut

Wow, so awesome to see that old avatar! Flashback, baby! Looking forward to getting things rolling here again. It's going to add a nice twist to the regular season that I've been missing for the last 10-12 years.
Krunch
Hall of Famer

04-07-2017, 03:37 AM

Tim - do you have the 1975 Broncos / Steelers Playoff  loss where Joe Green cold-cocked the Denver player who had been holding him all game long?  I read about it but never actually saw the punch. I'd be happy just to see a clip of the KO punch!

Here is an article regarding it.
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

04-08-2017, 03:13 AM

AAAAAAANNNNNND there goes the neighborhood!!!   Mr. Rogers reporting for duty!!!
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

04-08-2017, 03:16 AM

Wait...I'm a rookie?!  I've been a member since 2000.  However, I was too lazy to recover my password.  I hope most of the old-timers keep their old handles.
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

04-08-2017, 03:24 AM

(04-06-2017, 09:25 PM)steelerkraut Wrote: Hi guys! Hi Tim!

Michael aka steelerkraut

You are not getting old, you ARE old.
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

04-08-2017, 03:25 AM

(04-05-2017, 06:28 AM)Krunch Wrote: Awesome Site Tim - Glad to see some chatter on here.  

QB - not a top priority at this time.  Finding another Leftwich type might be the answer for insurance

Steelers FO ignored the O Line for how many years before finally addressing it?  Last season, they finally began on the long ignored Defensive Backfield.  I hope they continue this into the draft.  It is their most obvious deficit.  Thinking some great pass rusher will cure it is nonsense.  It will help, but not be the solution.

I've long felt this Tomlin-Colbert pairing just seems too content with a, "good enough, is good enough" mentality.  Championships don't often fall to such people.

I lived in the Denver area all through the Elway era.  The Broncos kept Elway surrounded with mediocre players for most of his career.  When they finally woke up and got serious with the quality of players around him things came together for them.  Reason I make this point is the Doomsday Clock is ticking on Ben and he needs excellent players on both sides of the line for the best shot at the Lombardi.

A Leftwich-type might be the answer?   Watch you talkin' 'bout, Willis?!!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-08-2017, 09:29 AM

LOL. 

I agree, a veteran backup would suit me just fine right now. We need someone who can come in and produce if, heaven forbid, Ben goes down. Landry Jones is grossly inadequate. There's got to be a Charlie Batch out there somewhere. 

Wait... what about ROMO?????????  Big Grin
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-08-2017, 10:53 AM

Tony Romo has retired and will join CBS, replacing Phil Simms.
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-08-2017, 10:59 AM

I am interested to see what type of camp Mettenberger has and if he can challenge Landry for the #2 spot. I think we draft a QB in round 7 or pick one up as a UDFA. Also, like the kid from Miami, Dysert. I'm watching to see if he's cut this year.
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
RaidersNick
Rookie

04-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Great site!!!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-08-2017, 11:11 AM

(04-08-2017, 11:07 AM)RaidersNick Wrote: Great site!!!

Thanks, Nick. Welcome!
McSteeler
Hall of Famer

04-10-2017, 12:47 PM

It's good to be home Kids.

If you can read this thank a teacher.
If it's in English thank a soldier.
bksteeler
Starting Lineup

04-11-2017, 02:07 PM

Good to see this place alive and kicking again.
McSteeler
Hall of Famer

04-12-2017, 04:11 AM

LOL..Now where's Tommy G?

If you can read this thank a teacher.
If it's in English thank a soldier.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-13-2017, 01:47 AM

nice to be home. I've tried some others but this was always the best site. As long as Hoosier doesn't find it