We are officially OPEN for business!
Krunch
Hall of Famer

04-13-2017, 03:35 AM

(04-12-2017, 04:11 AM)McSteeler Wrote: LOL..Now where's Tommy G?

As I understand it, Tommy G had been dating Rex Ryan's personal foot masseeuse's mother so had been in Buffalo for a while.  From there his first cousin who is best friends with Gronkowskis' sister told Bill Bilichek about Tommy G's football expertise and the two met for dinner and a game of chess (which Tommy G won in two moves) and the two became fast friends.  According to Tommy G's blog, "I KNOW EVERYTHING, SO STFU", it was Tommy G who Bilichick called during half-time of the Super Bowl for advice on how to win the game.  Robert Kraft offered Tommy G a full time job as Special Advisor to Bilicheck after the game which Tommy turned down as he had already been asked by Angelina Jolie to end world hunger as well as to father a genius child with her to be conceived under the Sahara Moon. So, with Brad Pitt out of the picture of course he agreed to lend her a hand.  

Tommy G's Profile Pic From His Blog

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhUpPJhihIMNLq-HyJT2b...-ozZPb5QgY]

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-13-2017, 07:28 AM

(04-13-2017, 01:47 AM)Rollers Wrote: nice to be home.  I've tried some others but this was always the best site.  As long as Hoosier doesn't find it

LOL.  Laugh Well, I hate to tell 'ya, but...
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-13-2017, 07:30 AM

(04-13-2017, 03:35 AM)Krunch Wrote:
(04-12-2017, 04:11 AM)McSteeler Wrote: LOL..Now where's Tommy G?

As I understand it, Tommy G had been dating Rex Ryan's personal foot masseeuse's mother so had been in Buffalo for a while.  From there his first cousin who is best friends with Gronkowskis' sister told Bill Bilichek about Tommy G's football expertise and the two met for dinner and a game of chess (which Tommy G won in two moves) and the two became fast friends.  According to Tommy G's blog, "I KNOW EVERYTHING, SO STFU", it was Tommy G who Bilichick called during half-time of the Super Bowl for advice on how to win the game.  Robert Kraft offered Tommy G a full time job as Special Advisor to Bilicheck after the game which Tommy turned down as he had already been asked by Angelina Jolie to end world hunger as well as to father a genius child with her to be conceived under the Sahara Moon. So, with Brad Pitt out of the picture of course he agreed to lend her a hand.  

Tommy G's Profile Pic From His Blog

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhUpPJhihIMNLq-HyJT2b...-ozZPb5QgY]

Scared  Congrats on authoring our most disturbing post since the reboot.   Laugh
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-13-2017, 07:31 AM

(04-11-2017, 02:07 PM)bksteeler Wrote: Good to see this place alive and kicking again.

Welcome back, BK!  Thumbsup
Lambert58
Rookie

04-13-2017, 07:56 AM

(04-04-2017, 01:09 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: My bruthas (and sistas)... after a LOOOOONG hiatus, I'm happy to say the McMillen and Wife site is finally back in 'bid'nis! I'm still dusting off my HTML skills (such as they are, circa Y2K lol) and this definitely isn't like riding a bike. But it's not rocket science, either. I've really been enjoying the design phase of the site and I especially love having the ability to share classic game videos so other die-hards like me can relive their childhood without the intellectual property police over at YouTube banning the videos worldwide and yanking them down two minutes after I upload them. 

I'm not sure what the future holds for this place yet. For now... it's to just have fun. I really enjoyed talking classic Steelers football again with the folks on YouTube before the frustration of the NFL copyright Nazi's ruined it for us. So I decided to do an end around and take YouTube out of the equation. We'll see how it goes. If you're a fan of vintage Steelers football, make sure you check out the Classic Steelers MP4 Page

Hopefully, some of the old Mac & Wife crew finds their way back here. And hopefully, we'll get a nice blend of new folks. They say message boards are dying out, dinosaurs from the turn of the century. Perhaps that's true and it's been a complete waste of time setting all this up again. But I hope not. Because even with the explosion of social media options out there, I've still never connected with people online in the meaningful way I did when the message board was going. Lasting and real friendships were forged there. It was a more intimate experience filled with dynamic, controversial, lively conversations you would never dare have on Facebook. It was fun!

Hard to believe this site started 20 years ago! I was just baby. In 1997, Steelers.com basically didn't exist yet and what little was there was pathetic. Many NFL teams didn't even have official sites yet. There was very little info about classic Steelers football from the '70s. But there was a site called Steelref.com. Plain-looking and primitive... but it was packed with info from team yearbooks from the '70s and it got me fired up to make a website of my own. A friend showed me how to do basic HTML using notepad (which is how I still do it) and I was off to the races. For a brief time near the turn of the century, mcmillenandwife.com became one of the busiest football websites in the world. And I "met" a lot of like-minded people who loved the Steelers just as much as I did. Again... it was just a lot of fun. 

So here we go. Again. I hope you guys like the site and enjoy the videos (hopefully they last) and I hope to catch up with some names from the past. God bless and GO, STEELERS!

~ Tim McMillen
Lambert58
Rookie

04-13-2017, 07:57 AM

I like this website some great Steeler games & memories some good some bad
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-13-2017, 10:28 AM

Good to see the site back up and running again.

I too, must brush up on my HTML skills, Tim.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2017, 10:28 AM by SteelThePain82.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-13-2017, 11:38 AM

(04-13-2017, 10:28 AM)SteelThePain82 Wrote: Good to see the site back up and running again.

I too, must brush up on my HTML skills, Tim.

Dude... welcome back!
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

04-13-2017, 02:24 PM

Boom goes the dynamite!!
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-15-2017, 02:41 AM

(04-05-2017, 05:07 AM)Desert Steel Wrote: One of the originals back! Good to see it open again, however you are correct, Facebook and similar sights are the demise of sights such as this.

I wouldn't be so hasty with that.
The Black and Gold Zone on Facebook is a fine page, but message boards aren't completely dead.
If you think about it, Reddit is basically just one big message board with some social media crossover features like upvoting and downvoting posts.

I joined The Black and Gold Zone to keep up with people that I met on here, but if they want to migrate back to here or split time between both, I'm fine with any of it.
I'll groove with whatever  Dance
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-15-2017, 03:05 AM

(04-05-2017, 05:04 AM)sandfan Wrote: I hope the board builds some momentum going into the draft.  I'm not a facebook user so I can't interact with those who have left to pursue that avenue.  

With respect the the draft I'm confused and concerned with the concept that this team should pick a qb this year let alone in the first round or two.  Ben is the ticket to #7 and will be for the next few years.  This team, except perhaps for the talents level of the head coach, is almost competitive with new england right now.  A draft as good as the one made last year could get them over the hump.  That will not be accomplished by spending a first or second on a qb.  

The steelers need to focus on keeping players off suspension, healthy and organized so they commit to the team rather than their egos.  I say go full out for another title and forget about looking for the next hof qb.  Ben has always been a talent and  competitor.  Wish tomlin had that same quality so the gap between him and Belicheat was not a chasm.

Dude, the whole world is on facebook anymore.
Most of the old members from here migrated into a group called The Black and Gold Zone on there (hopefully they stop back and give this board a second go-round).
But I understand why some prefer to stay off of it.

I started a thread for Pre-Draft Visits that I intend to keep updated if you wanna check it out: Pre-Draft Visits, Dinners, Profiles, and Highlight Reels

I agree that they shouldn't go QB in the first round this year.
I like throwing the dice on Nate Peterman or Chad Kelly in the later rounds though.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

04-15-2017, 09:06 AM

I am less concerned with participation in this board vs facebook. That exposure is just potentially too broad and unwieldy for me. My wife participates somewhat. My son did until the past year or so. I also hope prior participants come back for a look and begin to contribute.

You put a lot of effort into the visit summary. Thank you.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-15-2017, 10:41 AM

(04-15-2017, 09:06 AM)sandfan Wrote: I am less concerned with participation in this board vs facebook.  That exposure is just potentially too broad and unwieldy for me.  My wife participates somewhat.  My son did until the past year or so. I also hope prior participants come back for a look and begin to contribute.

You put a lot of effort into the visit summary.  Thank you.

I'm on Facebook, but not a fan of it for stuff like this. It's just not the same. I definitely prefer this format.
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-15-2017, 11:38 AM

(04-15-2017, 09:06 AM)sandfan Wrote: I am less concerned with participation in this board vs facebook.  That exposure is just potentially too broad and unwieldy for me.  My wife participates somewhat.  My son did until the past year or so. I also hope prior participants come back for a look and begin to contribute.

You put a lot of effort into the visit summary.  Thank you.

You're welcome!

I'm also hopeful that the old members will migrate back here for the fresh start.
I know Lake's been pining for this, wonder if he'll make an appearance soon.. Confused
BlacknGoldHaze
Hall of Famer

04-15-2017, 11:58 AM

My guess is that Lake and some of the others will wander over here in time. A few of us from The Black and Gold Zone are already here.....roots run pretty deep.
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

04-15-2017, 12:27 PM

Mind your own root.
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

04-15-2017, 12:29 PM

By the way, do yinz like my avie?
BlacknGoldHaze
Hall of Famer

04-15-2017, 12:31 PM

Hoosier, no one wants any part of your root......
BlacknGoldHaze
Hall of Famer

04-15-2017, 12:33 PM

(04-15-2017, 12:29 PM)SteelAHoosier Wrote: By the way, do yinz like my avie?

Good choice
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

04-15-2017, 12:35 PM

Special teamer?! I was the lead poster here until Chuck discovered the post counter.
BlacknGoldHaze
Hall of Famer

04-15-2017, 12:35 PM

The avies are a bit on the small side......how will we be able to fully appreciate Regi's Buffy avi at this size??
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

04-15-2017, 12:42 PM

Will a pic of his melon fit?
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-15-2017, 09:02 PM

(04-15-2017, 12:31 PM)BlacknGoldHaze Wrote: Hoosier, no one wants any part of your root......

Pruning Hoosier's "root"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

04-16-2017, 01:59 AM

This is the best news I've had in months. Well, since my last employer gave me a very generous golden parachute into retirement land...
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-16-2017, 05:10 AM

Congrats on the retirement, David. Any plans of travel or relocation?
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

04-16-2017, 05:50 AM

(04-16-2017, 05:10 AM)Desert Steel Wrote: Congrats on the retirement, David. Any plans of travel or relocation?

Thanks for the congrats. I still have my shingle out, but I'm definitely off the rat race.

RE: Plans.

I would doubt we will relocate, in fact, we moved here 20 years ago with an eye toward this very moment in our lives. I still have to get my wife retired, which will be in another year and a half before much of anything else happens.

Oddly enough, my musical career has been picking up as of late, bassists are always in demand ( I guess), and plan a lot of studio work ( thank heavens for modern technology) as well as live performances. Some guys bowl, some guys golf, I play music and get paid for it. Total cool.

We took a 2 week trip to Japan the fall of 2015. Thanks to my daughter in law that put together a fantastic itinerary, we saw a lot of the country including MT Fugi, Toyko, Kyota, Osaka, and Okanowa. The only thing on the itinerary we didn't get to do was to see the Giants baseball game that was rained out. Japanese baseball is a very different fan experience than the American brand. The fans are totally engaged all 9 innings. We're hoping their next duty station is Hawaii....
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

04-17-2017, 07:34 AM

(04-15-2017, 12:35 PM)SteelAHoosier Wrote: Special teamer?! I was the lead poster here until Chuck discovered the post counter.

And I had about 1,200 more than him when the counter plug was pulled. When you all left the shop I was just sitting here talking to myself....
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

04-17-2017, 08:00 AM

BTW, Tim the video section is priceless. What amazing fun. (Dodge Aspen, the car that will literally disintegrate before your eyes... Mullets.."the best beer in America, Miller Highlife") I know there is a comment section, but I can't seem to find the words to explain the experience, I seem go through them sort of dumbfounded.

It was a great game back then, especially the defense, that in these days basically has been outlawed by decree. I keep waiting for the NFL, in the name of player safety, to eventually limit defense to just one player who must stay within 3 feet of the center on his side of the line of scrimmage, essentially awarding victory to the winner of the coin flip, not to mention making fantasy football junkies joyfully delirious with unlimited scoring opportunities.

Anyway, Kudos Tim. I'm having an absolute blast here, and hopefully this site redux regains the traction you had years ago. Sincerely, thank you!!
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2017, 08:01 AM by dbsfgyd1.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-17-2017, 08:18 AM

(04-17-2017, 08:00 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: BTW, Tim the video section is priceless. What amazing fun. (Dodge Aspen, the car that will literally disintegrate before your eyes... Mullets.."the best beer in America, Miller Highlife") I know there is a comment section, but I can't seem to find the words to explain the experience, I seem go through them sort of dumbfounded.

It was a great game back then, especially the defense, that in these days basically has been outlawed by decree. I keep waiting for the NFL, in the name of player safety, to eventually limit  defense to just one player who must stay within 3 feet of the center on his side of the line of scrimmage, essentially awarding victory to the winner of the coin flip, not to mention making fantasy football junkies joyfully delirious with unlimited scoring opportunities.

Anyway, Kudos Tim. I'm having an absolute blast here, and hopefully this site redux regains the traction you had years ago. Sincerely, thank you!!

Glad you're enjoying the games, Dave. I'm right there with you. I absolutely love 'em. And being able to go back and watch pretty much an entire season, in order... too cool. '78 is all there except one game. '79 will all be there soon, I'd say within the next 2 weeks. Then there's 1980, which is still hard to watch. By far, the most disappointing season of my life. They started so strong, in spite of having lot of injuries... but you can see the injuries and age take them down as the season progresses. By the end of the season, they're backed into a corner and you have all these walking wounded pressing way too hard, making too many mistakes, just physically unable to get it done the way they used to. 

They had a beast schedule in 1979. Turned the ball over a TON and faced a lot of injuries, yet STILL scored the most points in the league and won the Super Bowl. Pretty amazing.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

04-18-2017, 09:50 AM

BlacknGoldHazeThe avies are a bit on the small side......

That's what she said.

Rockon