Hall of Famer

12-23-2021, 02:33 AM

[Image: 3r1d7ql87z681.jpg]

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
sandfan
Hall of Famer

12-23-2021, 05:46 AM

I had a discussion with a friend who suggested Ben is too old/immobile and is the prime reason the team is not successful. This fellow also thinks Tomlin is the backbone of the organization. I tend to question his reasoning and spent a few minutes researching the numbers.

Tomlin and Cowher have very similar w/l numbers. Considering Tomlin has had a HOF QB his entire tenure and Cowher suffered through a run of barely adequate players at that position I don't think Tomlin's genius is the reason the comparison is so close. I believe Ben has been carrying his water.

Ben is averaging about 230 yards/game this year with 3214 total yards over the 14 games played. His career total yards are 63,562. That comes out to 259 yards per game. Not a massive delta considering the quality of the OL and receiver package this year.

Looking at Ben we see his career his completion percentage is 64.5 vs 65.2 YTD. No doubt most of the delta is due to the shorter routes he's throwing now. Some of that might be his choice but more, in my view, is due to the quality of the OL.

His career TD to interception ratio is 415 to 208. YTD that ratio is 19 to 7. I don't see any massive falloff in that comparison.

The overall QB rating for his career is 93.9 vs YTD of 91.4. 2.5 points there is somewhat meaningful but not enough to convince me that the man is unable to compete.

Steeler fans have been able to watch two of the best QBs to play the game. Ben has all the team records but that does not denigrate Terry's achievements. Four Lombardis vs two are awful meaningful.

When I watch Ben I see a man who still has the desire to win and can still carry the team if given the charge to do so. There's no doubt he's not as mobile as he was but I don't see how the lack of that attribute is hurting Brady or kept Manning from winning late in has career.

I'd like to see him play one more season, use draft picks and cash to rebuild the OL, retain the WR and TE core and get some help on the DL/LB units. Less than a handful of judicious moves in those areas could have this team back in contention with Ben at QB.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-24-2021, 12:21 AM

I would tend to agree with you. Ben is putting up respectable numbers this year with a make-shift O-line and a very young and disconnected WR group. I would welcome Ben back for the reasons you mention above but I don't know if his body can take the punishment.

From some of his actions lately I think Ben knows it is time to hang it up.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2021, 12:21 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

12-24-2021, 12:35 AM

Ben can play 2 More years in my book... The guy had elbow surgery last year, short time for rehab turn around and still put up the same numbers as Josh Allen? Yet the Media loves to hate Ben. People listen to the

Media rather then watch the games. Sometimes I think even the Media writers dont watch the games? They go by the Stats. Some of his interceptions, you see the receivers drop off their routes?

CLAY-STOOL being one of them. In fact I'm hearing Claypool disappeared before the titan game was over? Does anyone have information on this?
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

12-24-2021, 01:31 PM

(12-24-2021, 12:35 AM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: Ben can play 2  More years in my book...  The guy had elbow surgery last year, short time for rehab turn around and still put up the same numbers as Josh Allen? Yet the Media loves to hate Ben. People listen to the

Media rather then watch the games. Sometimes I think even the Media writers dont watch the games? They go by the Stats.  Some of his interceptions, you see the receivers drop off their routes?

CLAY-STOOL being one of them.  In fact I'm hearing Claypool disappeared before the titan game was over? Does anyone have information on this?

Re: Clay-Stool

Not surprising, he’s also known for disappearing during games for long stretches…..

No, I’ve not heard anything. No mention of him missing practices this week;,
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2021, 01:31 PM by dbsfgyd1.)