Tonight's Game.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

01-03-2022, 10:44 PM

This could be a Historic event in Steeler's History. Or one we may want to forget if the game gets ugly.

I really Wish Ben could stay one more year. I just don't see the Steeler's without him. It's been since Tommy Maddox that we've seen anyone decent before him.  That's a long time!

Ben gave us his all.  Although I still think he has more to give. But it sounds like this is it.  I mean with all the coaching / Player Gaffs. Who would want to come back to this Shit Show.  

I see Clay-stool becoming a mental case down the road. Ju Ju. Might just be gone. May have 1 or 2 good season with another team. But that's about it. Cam Heyward will probably retire at some point.

I think Tomlin may step down soon.  Just my thought.  

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2022, 10:52 PM by Cali-Steeler.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-04-2022, 12:04 AM

My opinion: If the Steelers treat him with respect (no reason to believe they won't), offer him a contract that's a) even remotely reasonable and b) allows him to remain a Steeler with honor, he'll play next season. He's playing this retirement angle up, but he's not dealing in absolutes about retirement because he knows he can still play and I think he wants to if he can remain a Steeler. No way he goes anywhere else. It will have to be in Pittsburgh.

My opinion: They'd be crazy not to invite him back. It's not like they have a Mac Jones (or even a Justin Fields) waiting in the wings. They have nothing.

There are no legit FA QBs coming down the pike, either. They can sign a less-talented, less capable old guy like Cam Newton or Chad Henne, get an injury-plagued underperformer like Teddy Bridgewater... or they can bring back their legendary, aging but capable future Hall of Fame team leader.

I think it comes down to if Ben wants to do it. He's still got the tools IMO. If the desire is there (and I think it will be), I say he comes back. The Steelers would be crazy not to bring him back, even if they use a high pick to draft a replacement (although I'm not sure who that would be).
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

01-04-2022, 12:14 AM

(01-04-2022, 12:04 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: My opinion: If the Steelers treat him with respect (no reason to believe they won't), offer him a contract that's a) even remotely reasonable and b) allows him to remain a Steeler with honor, he'll play next season. He's playing this retirement angle up, but he's not dealing in absolutes about retirement because he knows he can still play and I think he wants to if he can remain a Steeler. No way he goes anywhere else. It will have to be in Pittsburgh.

My opinion: They'd be crazy not to invite him back. It's not like they have a Mac Jones (or even a Justin Fields) waiting in the wings. They have nothing.

There are no legit FA QBs coming down the pike, either. They can sign a less-talented, less capable old guy like Cam Newton or Chad Henne, get an injury-plagued underperformer like Teddy Bridgewater... or they can bring back their legendary, aging but capable future Hall of Fame team leader.

I think it comes down to if Ben wants to do it. He's still got the tools IMO. If the desire is there (and I think it will be), I say he comes back. The Steelers would be crazy not to bring him back, even if they use a high pick to draft a replacement (although I'm not sure who that would be).

All sounds good to me Tim! I could only wish that. But all the hoopla for tonight's game sounding like its his last and The PP Gazzette taking an add out personally thanking Ben and saying goodbye.   

Sounds like everyone's sending him off.  I think he can come back, but who would want to come back to this Tomlin shit-show. I really hope I'm wrong.  

He also invited Steeler players from older teams and alumni / family to tonights game. Would be a big sign.  I wouldn't be surprised if he announced it to the crowd after the game.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2022, 12:15 AM by Cali-Steeler.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-04-2022, 01:54 AM

(01-04-2022, 12:14 AM)Cali-Steeler Wrote:  All sounds good to me Tim! I could only wish that. But all the hoopla for tonight's game sounding like its his last and The PP Gazzette taking an add out personally thanking Ben and saying goodbye.   

Sounds like everyone's sending him off.  I think he can come back, but who would want to come back to this Tomlin shit-show. I really hope I'm wrong.  

He also invited Steeler players from older teams and alumni / family to tonights game. Would be a big sign.  I wouldn't be surprised if he announced it to the crowd after the game.

Yeah, I hear 'ya, Cali. But you know me... the fat lady is definitely warming up, but she isn't singing yet, so I'm not letting go.  Pi_bigsmile
sandfan
Hall of Famer

01-04-2022, 07:41 AM

The contract issues should not represent any sort of major hurdle. If they would use the draft and some capital in the free agent market to shore up the OL line the team might just be able to generate a running game and give Ben more than 2 seconds to pass before he's hit. Those should be attractive for Ben to return. I doubt his replacement will be on the board when the team is drafting. If anything I'd prefer them to trade down and pick up a lower first rounder and an extra second or third to fill out the line.

I read somewhere that Harris already has more carries that Bell did in Bell's total time with the team. Tomlin likes to run the wheels off his backs. That too often leads to a less than attractive situation. That should increase the focus on OL draft prospects rather than Ben's replacement. A continuation of Tomlin's tactic will shorten the effectiveness of Harris long term and more or less waste a #1 draft pick.

My guess is he's embarrassed by the inept performance of the team. Not sure, but I would lean that way. He's always been a great competitor. If the Rooney's would do something about the quality of coaching that might also help him be swayed to return.

Another type of low hanging fruit are the records available. He won't catch Brady or Manning but he can solidify himself in third place all time in the more important categories. He's been a solid team guy but every athlete has some desire to raise his rank among his peers. Ben will, in spite of the negative media coverage, be in the HOF. But getting there as third best in the key categories might just make his entry all the sweeter.

I believe Ben has carried Tomlin's water and entertained the fans of Pittsburgh. Father time is undefeated but his numbers this year are not too different than those he's posted as career stats. That seems to indicate he can still get it done even with a group of lesser quality athletes surrounding him.

Basically, after the disaster I've suffered this year, he's the only reason I watch Steeler games. I'm adjusting to my new circumstances but another year of Ben in football would help me along my path. 17 games of Ben and college football create a much needed diversion. I'm selfish for that reason and hope his career lasts one more season.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-04-2022, 10:17 AM

I think Ben has had enough of this coaching staff and regime.

I think this is his last home game.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

01-04-2022, 10:25 AM

(01-04-2022, 10:17 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: I think Ben has had enough of this coaching staff and regime.

I think this is his last home game.

As I dont want this to be his last season... I agree with you. You can see Ben's face with these coaches. He's not impressed the last 2 seasons. 

Who would want to come back to this coaching Crap-idity !
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-04-2022, 11:08 AM

If he does play next year (and I doubt he will) it might be with either Denver or the 49ers.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Remington Steelers
Special Teamer

01-04-2022, 02:58 PM

(01-04-2022, 12:04 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: My opinion: If the Steelers treat him with respect (no reason to believe they won't), offer him a contract that's a) even remotely reasonable and b) allows him to remain a Steeler with honor, he'll play next season. He's playing this retirement angle up, but he's not dealing in absolutes about retirement because he knows he can still play and I think he wants to if he can remain a Steeler. No way he goes anywhere else. It will have to be in Pittsburgh.

I would like to see this game uploaded here as soon as possible.  Missed the first half spending time with family.  But I would like to see the whole game.  Should you be able to, I'm sure many in Steeler Nation would appreciate it.  Thanks again for this site.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

01-05-2022, 02:56 PM

(01-03-2022, 10:44 PM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: This could be a Historic event in Steeler's History. Or one we may want to forget if the game gets ugly.

I really Wish Ben could stay one more year. I just don't see the Steeler's without him. It's been since Tommy Maddox that we've seen anyone decent before him.  That's a long time!

Ben gave us his all.  Although I still think he has more to give. But it sounds like this is it.  I mean with all the coaching / Player Gaffs. Who would want to come back to this Shit Show.  

I see Clay-stool becoming a mental case down the road. Ju Ju. Might just be gone. May have 1 or 2 good season with another team. But that's about it. Cam Heyward will probably retire at some point.

I think Tomlin may step down soon.  Just my thought.  

As much as I pull love to see him come back and play next season, it’s time. He’s accomplished it all and to ask more of him at this point would be for selfish reasons.