1987 Steelers 16 vs Saints 20
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-29-2017, 08:11 AM

1987 Steelers 16 vs Saints 20

The 7-3 Saints visit the 6-4 Steelers with both teams fighting for a playoff spot and the Saints hoping to secure their first-ever winning season. The Steelers lead 14-10 with 9 minutes left when Rod Woodson loses the rain-soaked ball on a punt and the Saints recover at the Pittsburgh 21. Two plays later, Bobby Hebert hits Eric Martin for the go-ahead TD. Less than a minute later, Mark Malone throws a costly INT that's returned to the Pittsburgh 12, and Morten Andersen kicks a 32-yard FG to give New Orleans a 20-14 lead. The Saints appear to have the victory clinched when Sam Mills stops Pollard on the 1-foot line on 4th and goal and instead of risking a punt from their own end zone, the Saints take a safety with 1:05 left. But in 55 seconds, the Steelers move to the Saints' 3-yard-line and are poised to win. Unfortunately, Pat Swilling sacks Malone with 10 seconds left and Malone's desperation pass is intercepted as time expires. A special thanks to Matthew Simon for generously providing this game. 
Unregistered

06-30-2017, 06:52 AM

this would be the game where the Saints clinched their winning season in their 21 year history, and if I remember at halftime on "The NFL Today" Brent Musburger announced of Lee Trevino's hole-in-one on the PGA West 17th Hole, a par 3, in the Skins Game, we'll before NBC sired it on national TV
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

07-26-2017, 05:50 AM

I'm going to set a personal record with two requests in a row. This one's for any of the 1987 strike games, if someone out there bothered to tape them. Tim Brant talked up the Giants-Redskins game that followed this one in part by saying that the Redskins would have been in much worse shape if the strike hadn't happened, because (I believe) they went 3-0. That sort of piqued my interest in seeing just how good those games were.

On a football-related note, Mark Malone may have been a good-looking guy, but he was an awful NFL quarterback for the most part. Whether his knee injuries ruined him or whether he just wasn't good to start with, the Steelers may have been wise to move on from him sometime in the mid-eighties. (For the record, I don't think David Woodley was much better, at least not with the Steelers.) Marino was off the table, of course, but there had to be someone out there who could have sparked the Steelers' passing game.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-26-2017, 12:39 PM

(07-26-2017, 05:50 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: I'm going to set a personal record with two requests in a row. This one's for any of the 1987 strike games, if someone out there bothered to tape them. Tim Brant talked up the Giants-Redskins game that followed this one in part by saying that the Redskins would have been in much worse shape if the strike hadn't happened, because (I believe) they went 3-0. That sort of piqued my interest in seeing just how good those games were.

It will be interesting to see if anything turns up. 

Matthew Simon, you seem to be the master of locating obscure '80s games. Any leads on games from the '87 strike?

(07-26-2017, 05:50 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: On a football-related note, Mark Malone may have been a good-looking guy, but he was an awful NFL quarterback for the most part. Whether his knee injuries ruined him or whether he just wasn't good to start with, the Steelers may have been wise to move on from him sometime in the mid-eighties. (For the record, I don't think David Woodley was much better, at least not with the Steelers.) Marino was off the table, of course, but there had to be someone out there who could have sparked the Steelers' passing game.

Yeah, Malone was pretty awful. Good guy, bad QB. Not sure there was much out there after the '83 draft. Boomer Esiason was a 2nd round pick and he's really the only decent guy I can think of that we would've had a shot at.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

07-27-2017, 08:06 AM

Randall Cunningham was a 2nd round pick in 1985, 17 selections after we chose Daryl freaking Simms who was gone in 2 years.

Him and Boomer were the only realistic grabs they could get in the mid/late 1980's.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-27-2017, 09:26 AM

(07-27-2017, 08:06 AM)Crash Wrote: Randall Cunningham was a 2nd round pick in 1985, 17 selections after we chose Daryl freaking Simms who was gone in 2 years.

Him and Boomer were the only realistic grabs they could get in the mid/late 1980's.

Ah, forgot about Randall. I suspect he could've done some damage as a Steeler. Certainly a massive upgrade from Malone and Brister.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

07-27-2017, 10:04 AM

Hell I wanted Randall signed as a backup when he announced he was coming back in 1997 after taking a year off.

But Donahoe loved Tomczak, to the point that he was signed to his final contract, while Cowher drove to, and got an agreement, from Jeff Hostetler to be our backup.

Cowher goes back to Pittsburgh, to tell Donahoe this, and was informed that he already had signed Tomczak.