Bengals
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

01-16-2022, 11:48 AM

Congrats to the Bengals.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-18-2022, 03:31 AM

Yes, have to give them a little credit. They have made good strides after jettisoning Lewis.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-18-2022, 11:36 AM

Joe Burrow is a BAD ASS. Best young QB in football. He's going to win a Super Bowl. They are ahead of schedule as a team, and he's doing for them what young Ben did for us.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

01-18-2022, 10:23 PM

Agreed. Tomlin is approaching a playoff record that matches Lewis in Cincy. Great QBs don't grow on trees. Cincy finally found theirs. I wonder how long it will take Pgh to find another?
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

01-22-2022, 01:24 AM

(01-18-2022, 10:23 PM)sandfan Wrote: Agreed.  Tomlin is approaching a playoff record that matches Lewis in Cincy.  Great QBs don't grow on trees.  Cincy finally found theirs.  I wonder how long it will take Pgh to find another?

Unless the bottom falls out, it may be a while….
bksteeler
All Pro Veteran

01-23-2022, 05:18 PM

Burrow isn't going to last long under Zac Taylor. Taylor's going to get him killed.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-24-2022, 12:41 AM

(01-23-2022, 05:18 PM)bksteeler Wrote: Burrow isn't going to last long under Zac Taylor. Taylor's going to get him killed.

Agreed. I couldn't believe they kept having him take deep drops when he was getting plastered like that. 9 sacks? 10? They never adjusted, they never gave him help, despite how obvious it was that their O-line couldn't protect him.

Dude STILL played his ass off. He's ridiculously good. I'll say it again, best young QB in football. Very jealous. Cinci finally got a good one. 

I was texting back and forth with a Bengals friend during the game and he was losing his mind.  Laugh  He was in utter disbelief that the annual playoff collapse never came. Even though he recognizes that Burrow and Chase are something special, even though their defense was playing lights out... he couldn't wrap his brain around what he was seeing.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-24-2022, 01:41 PM

Burrows is a tough dude. No doubt.

Next - Minkah, #39!
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

01-25-2022, 01:54 PM

(01-18-2022, 11:36 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Joe Burrow is a BAD ASS. Best young QB in football. He's going to win a Super Bowl. They are ahead of schedule as a team, and he's doing for them what young Ben did for us.

I’m not so sure that will fit the NFL narrative for this season. Rams vs Chiefs is a much better marquee matchup, not to mention a quid pro for building “So Called” stadium. If Burrow heats up vs KC, watch how many inopportune holding calls are called….
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-25-2022, 11:30 PM

(01-25-2022, 01:54 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:
(01-18-2022, 11:36 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Joe Burrow is a BAD ASS. Best young QB in football. He's going to win a Super Bowl. They are ahead of schedule as a team, and he's doing for them what young Ben did for us.

I’m not so sure that will fit the NFL narrative for this season. Rams vs Chiefs is a much better marquee matchup, not to mention a quid pro for building “So Called” stadium. If Burrow heats up vs KC, watch how many inopportune holding calls are called….

Oh, I agree. And if there's one thing we know about the NFL, it's often more about the NON-calls. Let 'em hold. Let 'em push off. 

I'm not saying it's every game. It's not. But I really think certain games could be getting some planned drama at the end. I can't shake the feeling that we just witnessed WWF scripting over the weekend. 

Brady and the Bucs, you're beaten. Badly. But to keep ratings high, let's have a sudden comeback from a 27-3 deficit to tie the game. That will keep the folks watching, and THEN, San Fran can go ahead and kick the FG to win the game they already won.

Again, we used to have 2 or 3 games like this a season. Now it happens every week. And over the weekend, it happened 4 straight times. EVERY game. 

I. Do. Not. Buy. It.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-31-2022, 09:32 AM

Quoting myself.  Laugh

They are way ahead of schedule. Burrow is amazing. Congrats, Bengals!

P.S. -- Just watched Burrow's postgame interview. Dude is so cool. Slight grin, no emotion, and he was basically like, "Yeah, we're going to the Super Bowl. Get used to it."
sandfan
Hall of Famer

01-31-2022, 10:38 AM

Watched the game at the local with several KC fans. I believe the critical pay was mahomes throwing into the flat with a handful of seconds left in the 1st half instead of throwing the ball away and taking the 3 points.

Reid, or whomever, called a play that was ill advised in my view. Mahomes, if he's going to be the next best thing of all the young qb's, crapped the bed. It's easy to be an armshare
Barney
Hall of Famer

01-31-2022, 11:01 AM

(01-31-2022, 10:38 AM)sandfan Wrote: I believe the critical pay was mahomes throwing into the flat with a handful of seconds left in the 1st half instead of throwing the ball away and taking the 3 points.  

I agree. this play and I think it rests with Mahomes, was terrible and singled a change in momentum.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-31-2022, 11:14 AM

(01-31-2022, 10:38 AM)sandfan Wrote: Watched the game at the local with several KC fans.  I believe the critical pay was mahomes throwing into the flat with a handful of seconds left in the 1st half instead of throwing the ball away and taking the 3 points.  

Reid, or whomever, called a play that was ill advised in my view.  Mahomes, if he's going to be the next best thing of all the young qb's, crapped the bed.  It's easy to be an armshare

And did you take note the Bengals squibbed the kickoff on this drive and pinned the Chiefs inside the twenty? It took 4 or 5 seconds off the clock, which they proved invaluable at half’s end. Some coaches learn from other coaches short comings.

It’s the little things that sometimes aren’t in the box score.

It’s the little things.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Krunch
Hall of Famer

02-01-2022, 09:49 AM

Bengals fully deserve to be in the Super Bowl. Being this is not Marvin Lewis Jail Squad anymore I am actually happy for them.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

02-01-2022, 10:20 AM

(02-01-2022, 09:49 AM)Krunch Wrote: Bengals fully deserve to be in the Super Bowl.  Being this is not Marvin Lewis Jail Squad anymore I am actually happy for them.

Same. Thumbsup

I respect the gritty makeup of this Bengals team. Totally different than the thuggish, extremely hate-able Marvin Lewis era. 

Joe Burrow has greatness written all over him. I don't relish the idea of facing this guy twice a year for the next 10-15 years, but I totally respect his game and enjoy watching him play. Superb talent, and the dude has ice in his veins.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

02-01-2022, 12:19 PM

The Bengals beat the Chiefs twice this season, if I’m not mistaken.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Eagles Fan
Special Teamer

02-01-2022, 04:23 PM

(02-01-2022, 10:20 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 09:49 AM)Krunch Wrote: Bengals fully deserve to be in the Super Bowl.  Being this is not Marvin Lewis Jail Squad anymore I am actually happy for them.

Same. Thumbsup

I respect the gritty makeup of this Bengals team. Totally different than the thuggish, extremely hate-able Marvin Lewis era. 

Joe Burrow has greatness written all over him. I don't relish the idea of facing this guy twice a year for the next 10-15 years, but I totally respect his game and enjoy watching him play. Superb talent, and the dude has ice in his veins.

Most Steeler fans wonder what if the Steelers drafted Dan Marino. The college equivalent is Nebraska fans wondering what if former Husker HC Bo Pelini didn't blow off a meeting with Burrow when Burrow visited Nebraska while in high school. Joe dreamed of playing for Nebraska like his father Jimmy did in the 1970's and Joe would have committed on the spot had Pelini offered him.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

02-01-2022, 07:07 PM

(02-01-2022, 04:23 PM)Eagles Fan Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 10:20 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Same. Thumbsup

Most Steeler fans wonder what if the Steelers drafted Dan Marino. The college equivalent is Nebraska fans wondering what if former Husker HC Bo Pelini didn't blow off a meeting with Burrow when Burrow visited Nebraska while in high school. Joe dreamed of playing for Nebraska like his father Jimmy did in the 1970's and Joe would have committed on the spot had Pelini offered him.

As a Buckeyes fan, I can't help but wonder what might've been if Burrow hadn't been relegated to riding the bench behind JT Barrett, and then, Dwayne Haskins -- the prospect of which prompted him to transfer to LSU.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

02-03-2022, 03:20 AM

When one considers the performance of Barrett and Haskins v Burrow it suggests the OSU evaluation team or process leaves a lot to be desired.

I think the best qb to come out of OSU in several decades was Tomczak. Hardly a star but he was at least competitive and did not cost a #1 pick. Maybe Fields will be better but, considering the track record of all those preceding him, I'd not bet on it. All the rest are forgettable.

OSU has a solid college level program with attractive QB performance but their QBs tend to stink up the joint at the next level. That school up North tends to do a bit better. I doubt any Buckeye QB will come close to matching the GOAT. Heck, they seem to be unable to match Griese or Henne at the NFL level.

If he can stay healthy it looks like Burrow will be star and a thorn in the side of all nfl teams.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

02-04-2022, 04:52 AM

To hell with the bungles. Go LA!