Brian Flores Hire
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

02-20-2022, 06:00 AM

Well, this was initially a shock which wore off pretty quickly. This is a good move IMO. Eventually, we just swapped Butts for Flores, and if somebody hires him away (a likely outcome as lawsuit aside, he’s a damn good coach), the Steelers are awarded two 3rd round draft picks. 

If you can get over the lawsuit, this may be the best hire the Steelers have made in a long time. 

One other thought, a successor for Tomlin??
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

02-20-2022, 08:41 AM

I agree. I'm totally onboard with this guy. I think Miami bagged him because he refused to tank at the end of the season to improve their draft position. I'll take a man of integrity who wants to win ANY DAY over someone who will intentionally put his team in position to lose.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

02-20-2022, 09:38 AM

I like the pick for the reasons stated above. Also, who knows, he could be groomed to replace Tomlin when he retires.

Good move overall.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
sandfan
Hall of Famer

02-21-2022, 04:17 AM

I'm not sure this team can handle the potential distractions. He may be talented but so were Bell, Blount, AB, etc. The on the field buck still stops at Tomlin. I don't think he's demonstrated the quality to manage a game/tactics let alone troublesome personnel.

The risk could be offset if he's hired away for draft choices. I'd like to see that move made with Tomlin as well.

It's just as likely he can end up like Kapernick with a pocket full of race based cash and a closed door to the league. Except, maybe, with the Rooney family. They can replace Tomlin with him but lose out on any draft considerations. All the while supporting their minority hiring plan.

This team, post Ben, will be in transition. I think ownership is weaker than in the past and Colbert leaving the front office might exacerbate any uncertainty. This potential racial distraction might just muddy the water more. Time will tell but for now the die is cast.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

02-22-2022, 01:04 PM

so he's behind Tomlin and Austin. Why would a former head coach take that kind of demotion? What impact can he have with Tomlin making the defensive calls and Austin trying to make defensive calls as well. Will they implement his defense or will Tomlin and Austin decide on what defense they will run? If he's being groomed to replace Tomlin he has one long wait in front of him. Tomlin is coach until he decides it's time for him to go. Maybe 10 years down the line. I think this is a stop for him to prove he can overcome the craziness of what happened with his being let go and his lawsuits. In three years he'll be able to get a coordinator job on defense. It just won't be with the Steelers.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

02-25-2022, 02:00 PM

Basically he had few options. It was this position or the unemployment line for the foreseeable future. The shame of it is I believe he is/ was a good coach that got mixed up with a terrible owner.

Should he have been fired? Probably not, Tomlin has done much worse. But from what hear he was a disagreement between a past QB draft selection. That doesn’t mean it’s racism. My gut tells me these type of racist lawsuits may be counter productive. Could they possibly deter minority hiring in the future if you have possibilities of potential bogus litigation?

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]