Happy Birthday, Rocky! Watch Bleier's Famous "Wind In My Hair" Run
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

03-06-2022, 05:57 AM

Happy Birthday, Rocky! Watch Bleier's Famous "Wind In My Hair" Run

To celebrate Rocky Bleier's birthday, here is the story behind Rocky's longest run, as told by Joe Greene.

"Rocky was SLOW. One of the stories that he shared with us was that he always wanted to be fast enough so that when he ran, his hair would blow in the wind. And one day, he had a breakaway... and he said he felt the wind blowing in his hair."

This is that play.

Oct. 7, 1979, Cleveland Municipal Stadium (Steelers 51, Browns 35)

You can watch the COMPLETE GAME here.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-06-2022, 07:57 AM

Great run!!! Against the Browns makes it that much better.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

03-06-2022, 12:02 PM

My youngest son had a few "wind in his hair" breakaways in his day, too.  Pi_bigsmile

Age 11. Sorry to be such a "dad" with kid videos, but these were good times and it blows my mind that this was 11 years ago...  Pi_shocked

Notice his number.  Pi_sharpteeth

Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-06-2022, 12:30 PM

good posts Tim
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-08-2022, 01:55 AM

#58 goes 59 yards!

Next - Minkah, #39!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

03-08-2022, 05:35 AM

(03-08-2022, 01:55 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: #58 goes 59 yards!

Laugh

If you watch closely at the start of the video, I'm standing on the sideline at the very tip-top left corner of the screen and I start running downfield as Eric breaks away. 

Junior football was amazing. I traveled extensively for work back then (Fender pretty much owned me). But on occasions when I was in town during the week, I was welcomed on the practice field to help coach and I was able to roam the sidelines as an assistant coach during every game. 

Great memories. The best. Pi_heartbeating He played junior football from 2nd to 8th grade and we had so much fun together. I'm eternally thankful to the various head coaches for accommodating my crazy work schedule and allowing me to share those times on the sideline and on the practice field with my son. 

High school football was fun, too, but I didn't get to roam the sidelines then.  Laugh

[Image: eric_dad_football.jpg]

[Image: eric_dad_football2.jpg]
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-08-2022, 07:40 AM

(03-08-2022, 05:35 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Laugh

If you watch closely at the start of the video, I'm standing on the sideline at the very tip-top left corner of the screen and I start running downfield as Eric breaks away. 

Junior football was amazing. I traveled extensively for work back then (Fender pretty much owned me). But on occasions when I was in town during the week, I was welcomed on the practice field to help coach and I was able to roam the sidelines as an assistant coach during every game. 

Great memories. The best. Pi_heartbeating He played junior football from 2nd to 8th grade and we had so much fun together. I'm eternally thankful to the various head coaches for accommodating my crazy work schedule and allowing me to share those times on the sideline and on the practice field with my son. 

High school football was fun, too, but I didn't get to roam the sidelines then.  Laugh

Yes, I coached my daughter up thru fastpitch until 8th grade I think. Then she did fall ball and school ball. When we lived in Ohio we played a few tournaments in Cranberry, PA. In high school her travel ball took her all over the South, including a tournament we played at Disney. She also trained with the US Olympic team a few times as her coach was good friends with the USA Olympic fastpitch coach. While we were packing for our move i found all her trophies and pictures, including one with Jennie Finch. I am so glad now I went to everyone of her games that I could and some are still posted on You-Tube.

Next - Minkah, #39!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

03-08-2022, 12:10 PM

(03-08-2022, 07:40 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Yes, I coached my daughter up thru fastpitch until 8th grade I think. Then she did fall ball and school ball. When we lived in Ohio we played a few tournaments in Cranberry, PA. In high school her travel ball took her all over the South, including a tournament we played at Disney. She also trained with the US Olympic team a few times as her coach was good friends with the USA Olympic fastpitch coach. While we were packing for our move i found all her trophies and pictures, including one with Jennie Finch. I am so glad now I went to everyone of her games that I could and some are still posted on You-Tube.

That's awesome, C-town! This stuff is good for the soul. Beautiful memories. Gotta thank God for every minute of it, and no one understands that better than you, my friend. It was a gift to us. And it was a gift to them, too, because a lot of kids (me included) never get that with their dads.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

03-14-2022, 03:33 AM

(03-06-2022, 05:57 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Happy Birthday, Rocky! Watch Bleier's Famous "Wind In My Hair" Run

To celebrate Rocky Bleier's birthday, here is the story behind Rocky's longest run, as told by Joe Greene.

"Rocky was SLOW. One of the stories that he shared with us was that he always wanted to be fast enough so that when he ran, his hair would blow in the wind. And one day, he had a breakaway... and he said he felt the wind blowing in his hair."

This is that play.

Oct. 7, 1979, Cleveland Municipal Stadium (Steelers 51, Browns 35)

I remember watching this game like it was yesterday. Jumped out of my seat and cheered him on thinking that somebody was bound to catch up to him..LOL!!
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

03-14-2022, 03:36 AM

(03-06-2022, 12:02 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: My youngest son had a few "wind in his hair" breakaways in his day, too.  Pi_bigsmile

Age 11. Sorry to be such a "dad" with kid videos, but these were good times and it blows my mind that this was 11 years ago...  Pi_shocked

Notice his number.  Pi_sharpteeth

Nice that you have these. Most of my dad moments live forever on either  Kodachrome pics or on recordings. My youngest turned out to one heck of a musician/bassist.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2022, 03:38 AM by dbsfgyd1.)
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

03-14-2022, 03:37 AM

(03-08-2022, 07:40 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote:
(03-08-2022, 05:35 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Laugh

Yes, I coached my daughter up thru fastpitch until 8th grade I think. Then she did fall ball and school ball. When we lived in Ohio we played a few tournaments in Cranberry, PA. In high school her travel ball took her all over the South, including a tournament we played at Disney. She also trained with the US Olympic team a few times as her coach was good friends with the USA Olympic fastpitch coach. While we were packing for our move i found all her trophies and pictures, including one with Jennie Finch. I am so glad now I went to everyone of her games that I could and some are still posted on You-Tube.

Pretty cool story.