Baker to the Panthers for a 5th
sandfan
Hall of Famer

07-07-2022, 11:44 PM

Plus the Browns will pay $10 million of his salary.  If I remember correctly they gave up 3 firsts for Watson.  Incompetency like this deserves a year long suspension for Watson and a deep personnel cut for the Browns.  The Steelers may not have the brightest and best leading but they seem to be head and shoulders above this crap show.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

07-09-2022, 02:24 AM

(07-07-2022, 11:44 PM)sandfan Wrote: Plus the Browns will pay $10 million of his salary.  If I remember correctly they gave up 3 firsts for Watson.  Incompetency like this deserves a year long suspension for Watson and a deep personnel cut for the Browns.  The Steelers may not have the brightest and best leading but they seem to be head and shoulders above this crap show.

I’m probably going to get blown up here for posting this, but there is very little public outrage of Watson’s alleged actions, as opposed to Ben’s alleged indiscretion(s). Punishment in the NFL is based on public relation optics. Levels of guilt have no bearing. 

When you cut to the chase, the league’s only real asset are the fans that tune in each week, go to the games, and buy the merchandise. Without the fans, The NFL doesn’t exist. With that in mind…

IMO, unless there is a court award, an indictment, and or conviction on these allegation, I would not bet the ranch on a year long suspension. More like 6-8 games with two voided for “good behavior, community service, and  completion of a how to act inoffensively with the fairer sex coursework. 

As for the arbitration hearing, this is nothing more than “political cover” and the hearings pure theater. Judge Robinson without the evidence from out of court settlements that had NDD attach for most of the aggrieved parties, the likelyhood of a year suspension is about slim and nil. The league is relieved that it’s not making this decision, and one of their own (Haslan) get his QB for the rest of the season, and the blame goes to the independent arbiter for the “light” sentence. Win win win , Right? 

Goodell has the right to add to the prescribed punishment, but that would likely result in an appeal from the NFLPA at a minimum, and push come to shove, could  invoke the nuclear option, a counter suit from the NFLPA with collusion charges as well as a challenge of the anti trust exemption the league operates under, which would indeed end the league as we know it if rescinded .

So what whatever Judge Robinson comes up is what we are going to live with, until a court  award hapoens to a plaintif, indictment, or conviction occurs.

just my two cents…
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

07-09-2022, 03:13 AM

The Browns will be paying Mayfield a little over $588k in week 1 to beat them. You can't make this stuff up.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

07-11-2022, 02:43 AM

Panthers now have the #1 and #3 picks from that draft.

My bet is that they both play like #2