1994 Steelers 12 at Oilers 9 OT
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-06-2017, 11:35 PM

1994 Steelers 12 at Oilers 9 OT

Doing his best impression of his game-saving forced fumble in the '89 Playoffs at Houston, Rod Woodson again comes up HUGE when he strips the ball away from Gary Brown in overtime at the Oiler 22. Two plays later, Gary Anderson trots on the field to kick his 4th FG of the day, this one from 40-yds away to win it. Anderson's calm, confident precision is in stark contrast to the ugly, sloppy performances by both offenses, neither of which even came close to scoring a TD while combining to convert only 4 of 33 third downs on the day. 
Unregistered

07-07-2017, 05:27 AM

Remember this game so well. Lived in dc. Had a flag football game in the morning where I was hit from the side and blew out my knee. They wanted to call an ambulance but I knew the steeler game started shortly after. Got to the sports bar instead -there were so seats so stood for this game of ineptitude for 4 hours! People were coming up to me telling me my knee was getting really swollen. I drank beer after beer to numb the pain. As soon as Gary put the all through the uprights in OT, I was off to the hospital!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-07-2017, 09:29 AM

(07-07-2017, 05:27 AM)Guest Wrote: Remember this game so well. Lived in dc. Had a flag football game in the morning where I was hit from the side and blew out my knee.  They wanted to call an ambulance but I knew the steeler game started shortly after.  Got to the sports bar instead -there were so seats so stood for this game of ineptitude for 4 hours!  People were coming up to me telling me my knee was getting really swollen.  I drank beer after beer to numb the pain. As soon as Gary put the all through the uprights in OT, I was off to the hospital!

Takin' one for the team! Great story!  Thumbsup
danderson400
Special Teamer

07-07-2017, 03:43 PM

Was is Columbus always a Steelers market, or did they show the Browns whenever possible? Maybe that's why the Browns game was moved to 4:00.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-07-2017, 10:44 PM

(07-07-2017, 03:43 PM)danderson400 Wrote: Was is Columbus always a Steelers market, or did they show the Browns whenever possible? Maybe that's why the Browns game was moved to 4:00.

I grew up an hour north of Columbus and an hour South of Cleveland. My entire life, the Steelers were on regularly, even when I was a kid in the '70s. It was as easy (sometimes easier) to catch a Steelers game on TV as it was a Browns or Bengals game. I never really considered the reason at the time... I was just glad it was that way. 

There were a few things working in my favor: 
  • We got both Cleveland and Columbus channels where we lived. Cleveland was a Browns channel; Columbus was a Bengals channel. That means we were guaranteed to see all 4 of those games every year. 
  • The Steelers have always been in a lot of prime time games (Monday Night, Sunday Night, Thursday Night), so we obviously got those. 
  • Because both the Bengals and Browns went through periods where they weren't selling out games (sometimes simultaneously), those games would be blacked out. Thus... the STEELERS were on TV. A LOT.
I just took a look at the '94 season. I didn't have DirecTV at the time. Just regular cable. But of 18 games (including the playoffs), 14 were broadcast in my area. Only the Seahawks, Colts, Giants and Dolphins were not. In those days, I generally didn't keep tapes of games we lost because I didn't have any desire to re-watch them. I kinda wish now that I'd kept them, obviously... although frankly, I still don't keep games when they lose. It just pisses me off, so I delete them in disgust... only to regret it later.  Laugh
Unregistered

07-07-2017, 11:49 PM

(07-07-2017, 10:44 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: I just took a look at the '94 season. I didn't have DirecTV at the time. Just regular cable. But of 18 games (including the playoffs), 14 were broadcast in my area. Only the Seahawks, Colts, Giants and Dolphins were not. In those days, I generally didn't keep tapes of games we lost because I didn't have any desire to re-watch them. I kinda wish now that I'd kept them, obviously... although frankly, I still don't keep games when they lose. It just pisses me off, so I delete them in disgust... only to regret it later.  Laugh

I hate re-watching loses also and rarely do unless it was a due to a players performance or just an all around great game (example game I rewatch is vs. Broncos '89 playoffs)

Even wins like this game are hard to watch when  there are only 4 first downs converted. Just as stressful as a loss. IMO 

Sal