Little known and obscure Steelers stories and lore
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-10-2017, 02:04 AM

Although I am not a Steelers fan (don't worry, Bucs fan here) I know that there is a good bit of a connection between the two teams over the years.

Hardy Nickerson once played for the Steelers, etc...

However, are you guys (I am sure at least some of you are) aware that the Bucs actually signed Neil O'Donnell to an offer sheet in 1993 before the Steelers matched it ?

Could have changed the course of both teams over the next 4 or 5 years if he went to Tampa.

I also had a pretty good view of O'Donnell myself. Very low risk, low reward type player - but efficient. Kind of like a poor mans Alex Smith.

Here is another one: After the Steelers released Ernie Holmes (God rest his soul, BTW) he actually played with the Bucs for a spell. He played in a few preseason games in 1978 but was released at the final cut down.

And yet, here is a third one: The Steelers logo is based upon the symbols of the steel element (as used by AISI) and was "given" to them to use by U.S. steel. (I think I got that right, right ?)
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2017, 02:08 AM by thespiritof1976.)
Crash
All Pro Veteran

07-10-2017, 04:42 AM

Yup.  And the ONLY reason the Steelers matched it was because Cowher pretty much went over the GM's (Donahoe) head and pleaded with Dan Rooney to keep Neil there.  Donahoe and others in his scouting department actually wanted to sign Vinny Testaverde who they flew into town and began discussing contact with him.  

The Nickerson tenure in Pittsburgh was bitter on BOTH sides before his last season there in 1992.  Nickerson wanted more money, and, which was totally out of character for him, Dan Rooney once said Nickerson's wife wore the pants in that family.

Kordell pointing the finger at Cowher happened in Tampa also, which I believe hurt Cowher in the eyes of his players.  Bill Cowher 1992 would have cut Kordell the Monday after that game for embarrassing him.  When Cowher put Kordell back in that game that pretty much told everyone that Kordell was running that show.  

And for Pete's sake, when are the Bucs going to go back to the creamcycle's uniforms for good?  Your uniforms keep getting WORSE.

Ernie Holmes ended his career playing three games for the Patriots later in 1978.  It was also Holmes, who after Turkey Jones spiked Bradshaw into the ground, lifted Bradshaw (Who was still strapped to the backboard) over his head, himself, and placed him in the back aisle of the team's plane.  A friend of mine's father was working the airport that night and said it was the biggest feat of strength he ever saw.  

Just a big, strong, tough man who didn't conquer his demons until later in his life.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2017, 04:51 AM by Crash.)
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-10-2017, 05:20 AM

(07-10-2017, 04:42 AM)Crash Wrote: Yup.  And the ONLY reason the Steelers matched it was because Cowher pretty much went over the GM's (Donahoe) head and pleaded with Dan Rooney to keep Neil there.  Donahoe and others in his scouting department actually wanted to sign Vinny Testaverde who they flew into town and began discussing contact with him.  

The Nickerson tenure in Pittsburgh was bitter on BOTH sides before his last season there in 1992.  Nickerson wanted more money, and, which was totally out of character for him, Dan Rooney once said Nickerson's wife wore the pants in that family.

Kordell pointing the finger at Cowher happened in Tampa also, which I believe hurt Cowher in the eyes of his players.  Bill Cowher 1992 would have cut Kordell the Monday after that game for embarrassing him.  When Cowher put Kordell back in that game that pretty much told everyone that Kordell was running that show.  

And for Pete's sake, when are the Bucs going to go back to the creamcycle's uniforms for good?  Your uniforms keep getting WORSE.

Ernie Holmes ended his career playing three games for the Patriots later in 1978.  It was also Holmes, who after Turkey Jones spiked Bradshaw into the ground, lifted Bradshaw (Who was still strapped to the backboard) over his head, himself, and placed him in the back aisle of the team's plane.  A friend of mine's father was working the airport that night and said it was the biggest feat of strength he ever saw. 

Just a big, strong, tough man who didn't conquer his demons until later in his life.

Sadly, the NFL passed some stupid rule that says a team must wear the same helmet all year. Since Bucco Bruce had a white helmet it won't fly, unless they paint the helmet and then try to remove said paint.

Same reason why the Broncos put their old school "D" on their new color helmet.

However, there is no rule that says they can't wear their old school orange uniforms though but with the pewter helmet it would look "off".

That said, there are some rumblings that maybe (MAYBE!) the Bucs will don an orange color rush uniform in their TNF game against the Patriots.

[Image: DDw0IHHU0AAzqHO.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2017, 05:30 AM by thespiritof1976.)
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-10-2017, 05:24 AM

(07-10-2017, 04:42 AM)Crash Wrote: Yup.  And the ONLY reason the Steelers matched it was because Cowher pretty much went over the GM's (Donahoe) head and pleaded with Dan Rooney to keep Neil there.  Donahoe and others in his scouting department actually wanted to sign Vinny Testaverde who they flew into town and began discussing contact with him.  

That might explain why Hardy said he "wanted" to come to play in Tampa. Sure, the grass was a great field and players loved it but it was a lousy organization and the team was going nowhere as long as Hugh Culverhouse owned the team. I wonder if there was something else in the area, such as other business interests, the Nickersons could have had that made them want to come to Tampa ?

I know that right around the time he came here the real estate market and construction blew up - and I mean REALLY blew up. All over the state in fact, but there was so much being developed in Tampa from 93'-08' that tons of people made a fortune (and many also lost that fortune).

Maybe the weather ?

No state income tax ?

I don't know but I am glad he came. The Bucs wouldn't have won their SB without the influence he had on Lynch, Brooks, Sapp, and co.