Steelers vs. College All-Stars, 1976 (last NFL/NCAA game w/ crazy ending in the rain)
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-10-2017, 02:55 AM

This is a hard to find broadcast and is only part of it. However, it is the best part, IMO.

The game gets called in the 3rd quarter after fans run all over the field during an INSANE rainstorm.

Surreal, to say the least.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2017, 02:56 AM by thespiritof1976.)
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

07-10-2017, 12:10 PM

Both College All-Star Games that the Steelers played in (1975 and 1976) exist in full and were on YouTube a while back. I'd love for Tim to get copies, as they're fascinating to watch. The college guys actually outplayed the Steelers for nearly three quarters in '75 before the Steelers realized that they were in an actual game and started pouring it on. There are a bunch of recognizable pro names on the All-Star teams as well, names that the Steelers would see again during the later years of their dynasty.
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-10-2017, 09:28 PM

(07-10-2017, 12:10 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Both College All-Star Games that the Steelers played in (1975 and 1976) exist in full and were on YouTube a while back. I'd love for Tim to get copies, as they're fascinating to watch. The college guys actually outplayed the Steelers for nearly three quarters in '75 before the Steelers realized that they were in an actual game and started pouring it on. There are a bunch of recognizable pro names on the All-Star teams as well, names that the Steelers would see again during the later years of their dynasty.

Another crazy thing was that this game was held in the middle-late July. Not, like, July 31st but like July 24th.

I don't think we will EVER see a preseason game again in July.

In fact, I have been trying to identify the earliest ever preseason game ever played and the best I can find was a Jets preseason game back in the late 60's that was played on July 17th.

Then again, pre-season was different back then. Teams played SIX pre-season games. Good Lord!
Unregistered

07-10-2017, 09:50 PM

If anyone is interested in the history of the Chicago All-Star game, I put a link below.  Thumbsup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Co...-Star_Game

Sal