1979 Steelers 51 at Browns 35
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-06-2017, 10:18 PM

1979 Steelers 51 at Browns 35

In a battle for first place in the division, Pittsburgh is all over Cleveland like a cheap suit, jumping out to 27-0 lead with Bradshaw throwing 3 TD's in the first 16 minutes of the game. With Pittsburgh's O-line (Jon Kolb, Sam Davis, Mike Webster, Gerry Mullins and Larry Brown) finally intact and healthy for the first time all year, the Steelers amass an unheard-of 361 yards rushing (that's correct, 361 yards!) behind the relentless onslaught of Franco (153 yds), Rocky (81 yds) and Thornton (98 yds). The first quarter goes something like this: Cleveland fumbles on their opening possession and Bradshaw immediately hits Cunningham for a 7-yard TD (set up by a 25-yard Thornton blast). The Browns punt and Bradshaw promptly hits Stallworth for 36, then goes to Thornton for a 10-yard TD strike. Cleveland drives to Steeler 6, but Cockroft misses the chipshot FG and Franco immediately bursts 71 yards off right tackle for another TD. Cleveland fumbles the ensuing kickoff and Bradshaw promptly lofts a 14-yard TD to a diving Jim Smith in the end zone (PAT failed) for a 27-0 Steelers advantage just one minute into the 2nd quarter. Cleveland then drives to Steeler 1-yard line, but Donnie Shell picks off Sipe in the end zone. Game over, right? Wrong. Cleveland fights back gallantly on the arm of Brian Sipe (351 yds, 5 TD) and actually makes it a game late, getting as close as 44-35 with 9 long minutes left. But the Steelers -- aided by a 71-yard TD run by Rocky Bleier, 2 Wagner INTs and a late marathon 15-play, 8-minute 94-yard TD drive -- hang on to win. Among my all-time favorite games. Features some glorious (and hilarious) postgame footage from a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders special. 
Luther
Special Teamer

07-21-2017, 09:19 AM

Once again. We were stuck watching the Baltimore Colts vs the N.Y Jets. Regional coverage prevented us in Richmond, Va from watching the Steelers and Browns! Fortunately Thou. NFL Films decided that it was good enough for the NFL Game of the week!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-21-2017, 01:19 PM

(07-21-2017, 09:19 AM)Luther Wrote: Once again. We were stuck watching the Baltimore Colts vs the N.Y Jets. Regional coverage prevented us in Richmond, Va from watching the Steelers and Browns! Fortunately Thou. NFL Films decided that it was good enough for the NFL Game of the week!

This was one of the most memorable games of my childhood, and therefore, my life. I can't even imagine being stuck watching the suck-@$$ 0-5 Colts beat the listless Jets (who should have easily won the game) 10-8 while the 4-1 Steelers faced the 4-1 Browns in this shootout (even though it seemed like a blowout early). 

I'm glad you at least got to see it as an adult. Better late than never!
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

07-30-2017, 03:19 AM

For those of you (hopefully many) who are Pirate fans, the end of this tape features an interview conducted at halftime of the following night's Dolphins-Raiders game with the starting pitchers in Game 1 of the World Series, Bruce Kison of the Bucs and Mike Flanagan of the Baltimore Orioles. I'm not kidding when I say that it's Howard Cosell's best work of the Series hands down, which should give you a small idea of how awful he was during the games themselves. (Yes, that's Gifford doing the halftime highlights.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-30-2017, 07:57 AM

(07-30-2017, 03:19 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: For those of you (hopefully many) who are Pirate fans, the end of this tape features an interview conducted at halftime of the following night's Dolphins-Raiders game with the starting pitchers in Game 1 of the World Series, Bruce Kison of the Bucs and Mike Flanagan of the Baltimore Orioles. I'm not kidding when I say that it's Howard Cosell's best work of the Series hands down, which should give you a small idea of how awful he was during the games themselves. (Yes, that's Gifford doing the halftime highlights.)

Always enjoy the peripheral & historical info you provide, Garrett. Thanks!  Thumbsup
Bobcat29
Special Teamer

08-13-2017, 12:37 AM

In the late 70s the Browns and Steelers put played some of the best games.
danderson400
Special Teamer

11-02-2017, 01:04 PM

The interesting thing is that NBC switched away from this game to the San Diego at Denver game when the Steelers had a big lead, only to have the Browns come back and score a few times. If the Browns had kept scoring it would have made NBC look stupid. But the early 4th quarter defect was enough for a switch wasn't it?
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2017, 01:05 PM by danderson400.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

11-03-2017, 01:19 AM

(11-02-2017, 01:04 PM)danderson400 Wrote: The interesting thing is that NBC switched away from this game to the San Diego at Denver game when the Steelers had a big lead, only to have the Browns come back and score a few times. If the Browns had kept scoring it would have made NBC look stupid. But the early 4th quarter defect was enough for a switch wasn't it?

It surprised me that they would switch, despite the deficit, given that the Browns were moving the ball so well. But that 71-yd TD burst by Rocky looked pretty darn decisive at the time (it put the Steelers back up by 23). Very glad the channel on the video stayed in Cleveland.