1978 Steelers 35 vs Colts 13
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-07-2017, 01:35 AM

1978 Steelers 35 vs Colts 13

Terry Bradshaw has a freakishly good game in near-blizzard conditions (11 of 18, 240 yards, 3 TDs), throwing perfect pass after perfect pass in seemingly unplayable weather. Swann (3 catches, 87 yards) and Stallworth (1 catch, 31 yards, 1 TD) appear only briefly in the first half, but their acrobatic grabs and long runs after each catch put the Colts in a 21-0 hole. Meanwhile, the Steel Curtain is terrifying, absolutely suffocating the "Bert Jones-less" Colts who never knew what hit 'em. But in spite of generating almost zero offense, the Colts surprisingly find themselves back in the game after the weather conditions contribute to a bad exchange between Bradshaw and Harris, and Derrel Luce scoops up the loose ball and slips and slides his way to a 44-yard TD on the recovery. Bradshaw quickly reasserts himself with a short TD pass to Grossman, and then ices the game (pun intended) with his 3rd TD of the afternoon, a deep pass to a wide open Jim Smith. As a fan of bad weather games, this is obviously among my favorites. Gotta love the Zamboni clearing snow off of the yard lines between plays.
Unregistered

04-11-2017, 02:36 AM

I remember watching this contest on TV as an 8-year-old at my grandmother's house. It was my first time watching a game (other than highlights) being played in the snow, so I was fairly mesmerized. I had forgotten much of what I originally observed, but a few things rang familiar. I could recall the Steelers forcing Bill Troup's fumble and Franco Harris quickly punching it across for a touchdown, plus Joe Washington's sweet run followed by the Troup TD toss to Roger Carr. And, of course, it would be tough to forget the Zamboni machine going back and forth across the turf. Anyway, I enjoyed seeing the broadcast again — plus the Erin Gray commercial for Dr. Grabow pipes (ha).
Thank you much,
James Combs,
Elizabethton, TN
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-11-2017, 11:03 AM

(04-11-2017, 02:36 AM)Guest Wrote: I remember watching this contest on TV as an 8-year-old at my grandmother's house. It was my first time watching a game (other than highlights) being played in the snow, so I was fairly mesmerized. I had forgotten much of what I originally observed, but a few things rang familiar. I could recall the Steelers forcing Bill Troup's fumble and Franco Harris quickly punching it across for a touchdown, plus Joe Washington's sweet run followed by the Troup TD toss to Roger Carr. And, of course, it would be tough to forget the Zamboni machine going back and forth across the turf. Anyway, I enjoyed seeing the broadcast again — plus the Erin Gray commercial for Dr. Grabow pipes (ha).
Thank you much,
James Combs,
Elizabethton, TN

"Mesmerized" by the snow is the exact right way to put it, James. My entire life, I've loved bad weather games -- particularly snow -- and it doesn't get much better than this. I was fortunate enough to attend a couple of snow games in Pittsburgh as an adult (including the '05 win vs. Chicago) and it still mesmerizes me. 

And yeah... Erin Gray. No one ever rocked a space leotard better.  Pi_wink1

[Image: 76a92aba4f3c0c48de5e8e4a9e601e50144b9bca.gif]
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-16-2017, 05:12 PM

Well, the good news is... I got my hands on a moderate upgrade of this game. Still not "great" video quality, but definitely a bit clearer and without all of the video "blackouts."  Thumbsup

The bad news is... no more Erin Gray commercial.  Pi_cry
Unregistered

05-19-2017, 05:53 AM

One of the all-time falls from grace in the NFL- the Colts in 1978.

They make the playoffs 3 straight years in a tough AFC conference, winning the division all 3 times.

When the schedule came out, a lot of people thought this would be a big-time game.

The Colts were scheduled for three MNF games in 1978 (They did win two of them, but they never recovered from their Monday Night week 1 massacre in Dallas).

They just fell off the face of the Earth from a contender to an also-ran just like that.

When they saw the snow at Three Rivers, they were up against it.

After Stallworth caught that opening TD, it was pretty much name the score time that day.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

05-19-2017, 05:49 PM

Bradshaw (a case could be made for Ben) IMO was the best bad weather QB ever. That's something considering where he was born and raised.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-25-2017, 11:26 PM

(05-19-2017, 05:49 PM)Crash Wrote: Bradshaw (a case could be made for Ben) IMO was the best bad weather QB ever.  That's something considering where he was born and raised.

I'd definitely give the nod to Bradshaw (his throws in this game and in the '78 AFC Championship are just insane), but a solid case could be made for Ben.
Unregistered

06-13-2017, 05:21 AM

Wow, incredible play by Ham to break up that crossing route to Mccauley in man coverage. Great game for Lambert. Big blocks by Sam Davis and Ray Pinney. Bradshaw had such a gun, wow.
TRSTEEL
Rookie

07-09-2017, 08:18 AM

This is one of my all time favorite games when I was a kid. i think because of all the snow lol
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-09-2017, 11:23 AM

(07-09-2017, 08:18 AM)TRSTEEL Wrote: This is one of my all time favorite games when I was a kid. i think because of all the snow lol

Same here. I'm a sucker for bad weather games.
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-10-2017, 02:21 AM

(04-11-2017, 11:03 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(04-11-2017, 02:36 AM)Guest Wrote: I remember watching this contest on TV as an 8-year-old at my grandmother's house. It was my first time watching a game (other than highlights) being played in the snow, so I was fairly mesmerized. I had forgotten much of what I originally observed, but a few things rang familiar. I could recall the Steelers forcing Bill Troup's fumble and Franco Harris quickly punching it across for a touchdown, plus Joe Washington's sweet run followed by the Troup TD toss to Roger Carr. And, of course, it would be tough to forget the Zamboni machine going back and forth across the turf. Anyway, I enjoyed seeing the broadcast again — plus the Erin Gray commercial for Dr. Grabow pipes (ha).
Thank you much,
James Combs,
Elizabethton, TN

"Mesmerized" by the snow is the exact right way to put it, James. My entire life, I've loved bad weather games -- particularly snow -- and it doesn't get much better than this. I was fortunate enough to attend a couple of snow games in Pittsburgh as an adult (including the '05 win vs. Chicago) and it still mesmerizes me. 

And yeah... Erin Gray. No one ever rocked a space leotard better.  Pi_wink1

[Image: 76a92aba4f3c0c48de5e8e4a9e601e50144b9bca.gif]

I still can't believe what they did to that show in the second season.

Sure, it was cheesy in the first season but it was a cool kind of cheesy.

What the hell was it with sci-fi shows in the 70's and 80's and the dreaded second season ?

Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Space 1999, War of the Worlds, etc.. all screwed it up after a good first season.
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

07-10-2017, 02:29 AM

(07-09-2017, 11:23 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(07-09-2017, 08:18 AM)TRSTEEL Wrote: This is one of my all time favorite games when I was a kid. i think because of all the snow lol

Same here. I'm a sucker for bad weather games.

Then I have something for you:

There is a Steelers one around the 24:00 mark....
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-10-2017, 07:45 AM

(07-10-2017, 02:29 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: Then I have something for you:

There is a Steelers one around the 24:00 mark....

Yep, they've got this game on there.  Smokin

Here's my question: Where is the '78 AFC Championship in that video? Talk about $#!tty weather!
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

07-11-2017, 04:47 PM

Tim,

Dave Volsky (the man who created the video series of which this was one) specifically excluded postseason games, probably so he could use a few lesser-known games from the regular season.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-11-2017, 05:57 PM

(07-11-2017, 04:47 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Tim,

Dave Volsky (the man who created the video series of which this was one) specifically excluded postseason games, probably so he could use a few lesser-known games from the regular season.

Ah, then it makes sense. It also explains the exclusion of the Fog Bowl, Ice Bowl, Tuck Rule game, etc.  Nerd