2004 Steelers 34 vs Patriots 20
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-18-2017, 08:18 PM

2004 Steelers 34 vs Patriots 20

A Halloween Nightmare for New England. Smile Big Ben wins NFL Rookie of the Week honors for 5th straight week and ends New England's winning streak. The Patriots (6-0) come into the game having won 21 straight (counting the playoffs) and a league-record 18 in a row in the regular season, but the the Steelers punch them in the mouth early in this one. Roethlisberger throws two TD passes to Plaxico Burress (including a picture-perfect 47-yard bomb) and Deshea Townsend has 39-yard interception return for a TD during a furious 21-point Steelers first quarter. This was "supposed" to be the game in which Roethlisberger is finally exposed as a rookie, taking on New England's defensive mastermind Bill Belichick and the Patriots' unpredictable defense schemes. Instead, it's Tom Brady who ends up looking out his ear hole as Roethlisberger runs his own winning streak to 18: his last 13 games at Miami of Ohio and his first five in the NFL. Joey Porter has a HUGE game, recording 3 sacks and forcing 2 fumbles while Duce Staley gains 125 yards on 25 carries and the Bus runs 15 times for 65 yards and a TD. A complete team effort and a beautiful win! 
Unregistered

07-19-2017, 01:07 AM

Yeah, in retrospect I wish this HAD been the Patriots game when Ben was exposed a rookie--instead of the AFC Championship a couple months later. I will always be bitter about that game, and the 2001 AFC Championship. Duce and Bettis were both running well again in the '04 championship, but of course turnovers (Ben interception, Bettis key fumble early on) were the death knell. The defense giving up a few big plays at the worst times certainly didn't help.

But yes, this Halloween game was a Steeler masterpiece.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

07-19-2017, 07:05 AM

IMO if Cowher would have went for it down 14 and they score? I think they win. Down 7 with a quarter to play I'll take my chances with Ben.

When they kicked the FG at 31-17 you could see the energy in Heinz Field just go away.
Unregistered

07-24-2017, 05:00 PM

I remember missing this game because I was helping my brother move
Unregistered

07-24-2017, 06:01 PM

What's going to be interesting is when Brady retires & New England feels what it's like to struggle & their fair weather fans start booing