Mock draft 1.0
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-08-2017, 08:04 AM

A very solid draft for defense awaits, especially for the secondary. Just what the doctor ordered for Colbert & Co., however there are needs on the offensive side of the ball as well, maybe just not as extreme. The Steel's mock draft 1.0:

Round 1 - The popular pick is edge rusher but I'm not so sure this is a done deal. There is a need here, no doubt but currently (unless I'm missing someone) the Steelers have only four corners signed: Burns, Cockrell, Gay, amd Sensabaugh. I guess you could argue for Golsen, but the rookie has missed 2 full season and I'm not sure the brass is even counting on return. Now drafting at #30 sometimes your seletion is dictated just as much as who is available as who you scouted. 

Here's Steel's deal:

1.) (30) - Chidubie Awiuzie - CB - Colorado - The secondary is slowing being transformed from a liability to an asset (much like the OL was) and putting Chidube across from Burns solidifies the CB position for the next 5 - 6 years. Not only athletic he is a pretty darn good player. He is sailing under the radar, but isn't that the Steeler way. Boundary corner, slot corner or even safety — Awuzie has the ability to fill multiple holes (position flexibility as Tomlin likes to preach) in any team's secondary and will be a high pick in this year's draft.

Options: Jabrill Peppers S - Michigan, T.J. Watt Edge - Wisconsin, Charles Harris - Edge - Missouri

2.) (62) - Tim Williams - Edge - Alabama -  James Harrisons' heir apparent. Good pedigree, top program. Some off-field issues, but a steal here. Good motor, relentless. 

Options: Tyrus Bowser LB - Houston, Malik McDowell - DT - Michigan State

3A.) (94) - Cordrea Tankersley - CB - Clemson - You can never have enough DBs. The secondary is finally set. 

Options: Brian Hill - RB - Wyoming, Justin Evans - S- Texas A & M

3B.) (105) ArDarius Stewart - WR - Alabama - This position (WR) is not nearly as set as people think. After A. Brown we don't have much proven talent. Good selection here with comp. pick. 

Options: Raekwon McMillian - ILB - Ohio State, Charles Walker - DT - Oklahoma, Jake Butt - TE - Michigan

4.) (135) Wayme Gallman -RB - Clemson - Another player from solid program with big game pedigree. I know we signed Knile Davis and D. Williams is probably gone so we take a RB this year. Deep class at RB and this is just about the right round to pick one. 

Options - James  Connor - RB - Pitt, Elijah Hood - RB - NC

5.) (173) Steven Taylor - LB - Houston

6.) (213) Ben Gedeon - ILB - Michigan

7.) (248) Chad Kelly - QB - Mississippi
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2017, 02:35 AM by Desert Steel.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-08-2017, 08:19 AM

First... LOL @ "Smokin' Monkey Mojo!" Man, it's been a long time since I heard that!

Second... I hope we draft Chidubie Awiuzie just so we get to say his name. Too bad Myron Cope isn't still around to have fun with that one...
Krunch
Hall of Famer

04-09-2017, 02:47 AM

Steel - this is an awesome and well thought out listing of draft studs.

I'm going to throw a curve ball out there that is sure to get me at least half crucified.

Give up #1 and maybe a player for Richard Sherman.  I'm not even sure if it is possible financially, but I like the idea.

My rationale is simple.  Any draft pick is likely to take a season or more to make a significant impact.  The Steelers are clearly close to Super Bowl contenders and they need to go all in real quick-like.  So, I say go balls to the walls for the next season or two.   No time to develop key young players now.  Not a time to re-build.  It is time to strike.  Sherman should be good from day one for 2-3 great seasons at his age.  In addition, what a mentor to the younger DBs.

Sherman will make a huge difference immediately.  It will relieve the pressure to score 30+ points every game on the offense and lead to more ball control and clock advantage.  Yes, the guy has a mouth, but he delivers the goods.  I never advocate bringing in locker room cancer.  I don't think that is an issue with Sherman.  I live in Seahag country and see enough of Sherman in the media to think he is alright character wise.  Before signing him, I would be damn sure he understands his role and what attitude is expected of him, even to the point of adding some expectations in his contract.  Pete Carroll and Tomlin are complete opposite in character and I can see about anybody getting their fill of Carroll.  Tomlin and his buddy-buddy character should be a good fit.

So, there you have it.  Let the flaming arrows commence!   Tongue
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-09-2017, 05:02 AM

First I must admit Richard Sherman is one of my favorite non-Steeler players in the league right now. The sad part is we could have drafted him ahead of Curtis Brown and Cortes Allen, but I digress.

I see your reasoning and only know one thing. It won't happen, I don't see the Steeler F.O. pulling the trigger.
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2017, 05:03 AM by Desert Steel.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-10-2017, 12:01 AM

(04-09-2017, 02:47 AM)Krunch Wrote: Give up #1 and maybe a player for Richard Sherman.  I'm not even sure if it is possible financially, but I like the idea.

Our #1 pick for Sherman? Okay, it's official... STFU!  Big Grin
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-10-2017, 03:52 AM

Ah, the first nice warm cup of S.T.F.U.! The new site is officially christened.

Congrats - Krunch! The site's cherry has been broken.
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2017, 03:53 AM by Desert Steel.)
Krunch
Hall of Famer

04-10-2017, 04:14 AM

(04-10-2017, 03:52 AM)Desert Steel Wrote: Ah, the first nice warm cup of S.T.F.U.! The new site is officially christened.

I need to go take a shower.  Confused
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-10-2017, 11:46 AM

(04-10-2017, 03:52 AM)Desert Steel Wrote: Ah, the first nice warm cup of S.T.F.U.! The new site is officially christened.

Laugh
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-13-2017, 10:34 AM

Carl Lawson - Edge rusher from Auburn. Dude is carrying around 265 pounds on his frame and he's lightening quick. Go check out his spin move. It's absolutely unbelievable. I would be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY with that pick
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-13-2017, 10:39 AM

(04-10-2017, 12:01 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 02:47 AM)Krunch Wrote: Give up #1 and maybe a player for Richard Sherman.  I'm not even sure if it is possible financially, but I like the idea.

Our #1 pick for Sherman? Okay, it's official... STFU!  Big Grin

I'll maniac that!  Roll
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Desert Steel,

Pretty cool effort for a mock-up.
although I've seen Chidubie Awiuzie in many mocks falling to us in the 2nd round.
Then again Artie Burns was projected by many as low as the 3rd or 4th round, so I guess we'll hafta wait and see.
I would also throw Zach Cunningham, Haason Reddick, and Obi Melifonwu in that mix of alternate options.

Same with Tim Williams, I've seen/heard his draft stock drop into the 3-5 round regions due to off-field issues and difficulties learning playbooks.

At any rate, Aces for thoughtfulness.

Krunch,

I like Richard Sherman, but I just don't see them making that big of trade to get him (no matter how much Steelers 24-7 wants to try and hype the possibilities).

But allow me to offer you up 3 size appropriate, potentially, more realistic alternatives:

1.) Obi Melifonwu - a Safety, yes I know, but one that has successfully played at CB and shown to have just the kind of Man-to-Man skills that the Steelers are now in the market for.

2.) Rasul Douglas - a later round option out of WVU

3.) Kevin King - Washington
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-13-2017, 11:46 AM

(04-13-2017, 10:39 AM)SteelThePain82 Wrote: I'll maniac that!  Roll

Laugh
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

04-13-2017, 02:20 PM

Sal, is that you?!
sandfan
Hall of Famer

04-13-2017, 09:38 PM

I would consider drafting Chad Kelly in a late round or trying to sign him after the draft. His injury and the fact that his invite was withdrawn should significantly lower his draft stock. He has the brains, arm and guts to make it in the nfl. He might be a bit of a head case at times but his connection to Jim Kelly and that connection to Ben might be helpful in that area.

Drafting a qb high, especially with the talent available this year, does not seem prudent. However, grabbing one late might. Especially one who demonstrated an ability to compete in the SEC.
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

04-14-2017, 02:28 AM

(04-13-2017, 09:38 PM)sandfan Wrote: I would consider drafting Chad Kelly in a late round or trying to sign him after the draft.  His injury and the fact that his invite was withdrawn should significantly lower his draft stock.  He has the brains, arm and guts to make it in the nfl.  He might be a bit of a head case at times but his connection to Jim Kelly and that connection to Ben might be helpful in that area.  

Drafting a qb high, especially with the talent available this year, does not seem prudent.  However, grabbing one late might.  Especially one who demonstrated an ability to compete in the SEC.

Chad Kelly or Nate Peterman in the mid - late rounds would be fine with me.
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-16-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote: Carl Lawson - Edge rusher from Auburn. Dude is carrying around 265 pounds on his frame and he's lightening quick. Go check out his spin move. It's absolutely unbelievable. I would be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY with that pick

The Carl Lawson profile:

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-foo...54686.html

Mel Kiper: Not in 1st round:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.s...rojec.html

The Auburn defensive end's injury history of a torn anterior cruciate ligament that cost him the 2014 season and a hip flexor that sidelined him for six games in 2015, are "the only thing" keeping Kiper from projecting Lawson among the first 32 players to be selected.

"He's the eighth-highest rated defensive end," Kiper said, which is the same as last month. "He's rated over Jordan Willis from Kansas State, right behind (Missouri's) Charles Harris, who can play with his hand on the ground or play on his feet as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

"The only thing that prevented me from putting Lawson in the first round was that durability concern."
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Man I still like the guy. I think he had a pretty clean 2016 no? He's just so impressive on that spin move and he's big.
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-22-2017, 10:11 AM

I've been reading a bit on Davis Webb, QB from Cal, he was a transfer from Texas Tech. Seems like Webb got injured and eventually lost his starting slot to Patrick Mahomes. Webb has size (6'5", 232 lbs.). His stock is rising, now projected as a Round 2 pick. I am beginning think if he can be had in the 2nd round should the Steelers select him. I think at most Ben has 2 maybe 3 years left and Webb could be to Ben as Rogers was to Favre. I know this won't be a popular though on the board, but I am beginning to like it more and more each day.
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2017, 10:11 AM by Desert Steel.)
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-22-2017, 10:15 AM

Clip on Davis Webb:

https://youtu.be/o3y6rILNmDo
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-23-2017, 12:21 AM

Davis Webb, starting to make sense, another clip:

https://youtu.be/cyvERacmKpY
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-24-2017, 12:37 AM

if Garrett Sickels is around in round 6 or 7 he may be worth a look.
Krunch
Hall of Famer

04-25-2017, 01:37 AM

Cooper Kupp -  OK, here is my guy for a receiver.  He played locally to me so I naturally have seen a lot of him on local media and about a half dozen times in person.  He truly has a heart of a champion, excellent character and lunch pail work ethic.  Besides all that he is a freak of an athlete.  Father and Grandfather played NFL ball.  I've seen him play in person and he is the real deal.  He did not do so well in the 40 at the combine, but when you see him play with the intensity and drive he has, he is really fast and quick AND really, really determined - think The Bus and constant leg drive and fight.  I'm not thinking the Steelers will go after him, but wherever he lands - you will know his name and want him on your fantasy team.

Cooper Kupp Highlight Video

2016 & 2015 FCS ADA NATIONAL OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

2015 WALTER PAYTON AWARD WINNER

2015 STATS NATIONAL OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

2013 JERRY RICE AWARD WINNER
(top freshman in FCS)

Four-Time Consensus First Team
FCS All-American

Three-Time Academic All-American

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-25-2017, 01:54 AM

(04-25-2017, 01:37 AM)Krunch Wrote: Cooper Kupp -  OK, here is my guy for a receiver.  He played locally to me so I naturally have seen a lot of him on local media and about a half dozen times in person.  He truly has a heart of a champion, excellent character and lunch pail work ethic.  Besides all that he is a freak of an athlete.  Father and Grandfather played NFL ball.  I've seen him play in person and he is the real deal.  He did not do so well in the 40 at the combine, but when you see him play with the intensity and drive he has, he is really fast and quick AND really, really determined - think The Bus and constant leg drive and fight.  I'm not thinking the Steelers will go after him, but wherever he lands - you will know his name and want him on your fantasy team.

Cooper Kupp Highlight Video

Scrappy, really like his heart. Fantastic hands, making some nice grabs, but he looks a bit slow to me by NFL standards. Doesn't seem like he's getting much separation in the video and it will be a lot harder once he gets to the NFL. With that heart, I bet he'd leave a mark on special teams.
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

04-25-2017, 04:02 AM

This projection shows Round 2 - 3:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/c...id=2557898
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-25-2017, 05:00 AM

(04-25-2017, 04:02 AM)Desert Steel Wrote: This projection shows Round 2 - 3:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/c...id=2557898

There it is again: Lack of separation. 

Good write-up. I like what they said about if he gets with a good QB. And I agree, he does catch like Fitz. Killer hands and desire. Again, he will immediately be a special teams ace in my view. 

I just went and looked at Antonio Brown's pre-draft write up. The best receiver in the game was a complete afterthought. It just goes to show you what an inexact "science" there is to grading players:

ANTONIO BROWN
WR  CENTRAL MICHIGAN

OVERVIEW
Brown is an extremely productive receiver from a relatively smaller level football program that could use another year in college to continue to develop physically. He is undersized and will initially struggle with the physical aspects of the game at the next level. He generally has lined up out of the slot and would have trouble with his release against some of the physical cornerbacks at the next level if he lines up on the line of scrimmage. He is explosive off the line and will show a good burst out of his speed cuts but needs work on his hard cuts and underneath routes. He has decent hands but it looks like the ball gets big on him at times and he traps too many passes in his body.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Brown has a really nice combination of quickness and speed. Has been extremely productive during his college career. Shows very impressive initial quickness when exploding off the line. Displays good agility as a route-runner and with the ball after the catch.
WEAKNESSES
Lacks size. Not tall and does not possess enough bulk at this time. Needs to add strength to more effectively beat press coverage and battled for the ball in the air. Route running skills could use some refinement. Laugh Needs to become more consistent catching the ball in a crowd.